High Gas Prices

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
High Gas Prices
Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Kbone wrote:
Either way we're screwed! Wasn't there a time when diesel was much cheaper? Or am I thinking of propane...

for as long as I can remember Diesel has always been cheaper than plus and supreme gas. Usually in the range of regular gas and lower. NEVER higher until now.

it makes no damn sense to me. All it is is less refined gas. Should be cheaper. Run gas prices up sure. That's killing the common man but running diesel up is killing everyone. I think its having more of an effect on the economy than the raising cost of consumer fuels. Diesel is better for the environment... they should be pushing it. Running up diesel runs the cost of EVERY consumer good up. From eggs and milk to cars. ALL of it goes on trucks using diesel.

Bunch of really stupid things going on right now that are hopefully going to usher in some change. I honestly don't think these gas prices are permanent and I don't think the use of ethanol is either.

we should protest

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 19:21 Quote
joexspocent92 wrote:
we should protest

Individual use can be reduced and affect energy companies a lot more than a protest ever will.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
onemanarmy wrote:
Kbone wrote:
Either way we're screwed! Wasn't there a time when diesel was much cheaper? Or am I thinking of propane...

for as long as I can remember Diesel has always been cheaper than plus and supreme gas. Usually in the range of regular gas and lower. NEVER higher until now.

it makes no damn sense to me. All it is is less refined gas. Should be cheaper. Run gas prices up sure. That's killing the common man but running diesel up is killing everyone. I think its having more of an effect on the economy than the raising cost of consumer fuels. Diesel is better for the environment... they should be pushing it. Running up diesel runs the cost of EVERY consumer good up. From eggs and milk to cars. ALL of it goes on trucks using diesel.

Bunch of really stupid things going on right now that are hopefully going to usher in some change. I honestly don't think these gas prices are permanent and I don't think the use of ethanol is either.

Yep, thats why my dad bought a diesel over a gas sucking v8 for a work truck, because diesel used to be like 10-20 cents cheaper than gas, now its the opposite.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 22:11 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
calgaryrider wrote:
Laurie what are you driving that gets 13mpg, thats pretty bad?

A Range Rover HSE gets 13MPG and I think that the Escalade hovers around that too. A lot of the larger SUVs thst have a V8 and 400+ HP get shit for fuel economy.

my dads got a h2 and i swear every other time im in the car we have to stop at a gas staion and its 120 bux each time

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 22:16 Quote
extremefreerider89 wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
calgaryrider wrote:
Laurie what are you driving that gets 13mpg, thats pretty bad?

A Range Rover HSE gets 13MPG and I think that the Escalade hovers around that too. A lot of the larger SUVs thst have a V8 and 400+ HP get shit for fuel economy.

my dads got a h2 and i swear every other time im in the car we have to stop at a gas staion and its 120 bux each time

I'm sure he pays a bit more than 120 to fill it. 120 is probably 3/4 tank. I'm in an 08 escalade on a regular basis and you can actually watch the needle slowly drop. Even if I was loaded I would not want to own an escalade. I can't justify spending that much money for gas.

Posted: Jul 8, 2008 at 22:19 Quote
Kbone wrote:
extremefreerider89 wrote:
laurie1 wrote:

I'm sure he pays a bit more than 120 to fill it. 120 is probably 3/4 tank. I'm in an 08 escalade on a regular basis and you can actually watch the needle slowly drop. Even if I was loaded I would not want to own an escalade. I can't justify spending that much money for gas.
yeah well idn its just alot of money my dad outs 120 in the tank and im like come on i could have gotten a nice set of maxxis minions and a new pair of grips for that haha

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 1:20 Quote
everytime I fill up and see the meter hit $80 I think to myself that could of been a new stem or much needed chan guide for my bike haha. it sucks but what can you do!

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
Kbone wrote:
everytime I fill up and see the meter hit $80 I think to myself that could of been a new stem or much needed chan guide for my bike haha. it sucks but what can you do!

True that. Runs me about $65 but I only get about 280 miles out of that.

Been looking at motorcycles on a regular basis recently. My wrx will be paid off in December so maybe after the holidays I'll start building a bike. Get it ready by next spring. Shoot my wrx gets like 21mpg, when the caddy is running it's about 9mpg. So even the 35 or so I'd get out of an old harley or triumph would be awesome. Need to move.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
I will be getting a bike as well for next summer. I think it's something a lot of people are doing. I'm seeing a lot more scooters and mopeds on the road as well. I'm thinking about a hyosung 250cc sport bike. Korean company, but great quality. As far as appearance goes, it looks identical to a 600. My dad has a bike and hasn't even touched his truck yet this summer, only on rainy days. It saves quite a bit.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 17:09 Quote
There are definitely a lot of people around here who've gone over to the scooter crowd, I haven't really seen too much of an increase in bikes though. The local dealer that sells electric scooters was saying he's been having a hell of a time keeping stock. If I could find an old Vespa, I would buy it on the spot.

Posted: Jul 9, 2008 at 17:38 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
There are definitely a lot of people around here who've gone over to the scooter crowd, I haven't really seen too much of an increase in bikes though. The local dealer that sells electric scooters was saying he's been having a hell of a time keeping stock. If I could find an old Vespa, I would buy it on the spot.

I'd go with a modified Ruckus but they don't have the guts to get me up the hill to work and there's a LOT of canyon between my house and work. If we move I think we might do up a scoot.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 2:36 Quote
joexspocent92 wrote:
onemanarmy wrote:
Kbone wrote:

we should protest

North America is still at the "whine and take it" stage of the process. Protesting is dumb and counterproductive. If you want a good overview of the issue, check out "A Thousand Barrels a Second." It's a good layman's book.

Diesel is more expensive because of a general increase in demand for distillates over a short period. Currently, refineries are not able to produce enough as they're geared towards gas production. The price will even out within a couple years.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 16:09 Quote
I'm into nitro powered r/c cars and the cost of fuel for these things has gone through the roof as well!! I was definitley not expecting this. Nitro fuel is available up to %30 mixture, but now they're doing 20% only to keep the cost down. The cost has gone up by %90

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 18:50 Quote
Damnit, diesel went up again today, now paying 1.439 a liter, good thing I filled up before that, better make this tank last.

Posted: Jul 10, 2008 at 18:57 Quote
Kbone wrote:
I'm into nitro powered r/c cars and the cost of fuel for these things has gone through the roof as well!! I was definitley not expecting this. Nitro fuel is available up to %30 mixture, but now they're doing 20% only to keep the cost down. It's gone up %90...

It was like 40 dollars a gallon like 6 months ago, I'm scared to hear what it is now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013556
Mobile Version of Website