Powered by Outside

As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
As a bicycle mechanic what is your most hated job?
Posted: Aug 15, 2013 at 21:55 Quote
Right now I just can't stand my job in general. I'm a "bike mechanic" at a sporting goods store, out of the work day I spend about a quarter (and I'm being modest to my job with that) of the time building and doing bike repairs. Most of the time I'm doing corporate BS which is a lot of stuff that doesn't deal with bikes at all.

I get through the corporate BS and it's finally time to work on the bikes... minor repairs, tune-ups, builds... everything is fine and dandy. If the customer needs a new part for the bike... well that job is put on hold for two weeks. I'm not talking about cranksets, forks (well those too), but I'm talking about cassettes, chains, even tires. The only thing kept in store are tubes, and we may likely not even have the size you need.

Well, there's my rant about how the corporation part is the most hated part of my job. I love my job when I'm actually doing my job though.

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 6:24 Quote
A four year old grave dig. Atta boy!

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 8:07 Quote
dude went DEEEEEEP into the forums,..tup

Posted: Aug 19, 2013 at 2:00 Quote
Setting up road tripples... they just dont work! i go for a break after every road triple setup

Posted: Aug 19, 2013 at 14:20 Quote
kids bikes,cheap bikes, rusted bikes and stuff other peoples worked at before hand ...wheel builds are pretty shit too :/

O+
Posted: Aug 20, 2013 at 13:01 Quote
changing a tube or tire on a commuter bike in the winter. All the black brake dust is the worst.

Posted: Aug 21, 2013 at 7:31 Quote
I hate truing specialized wheels with a mix of radial and 3 cross strait pull spokes.

Posted: Aug 21, 2013 at 11:40 Quote
Changing the tube on an electric bike gahh

Posted: Aug 21, 2013 at 17:37 Quote
NEwrench wrote:
Well, there's my rant about how the corporation part is the most hated part of my job. I love my job when I'm actually doing my job though.

Sounds like my gripe about the military when I was active duty years ago. LOL Just let me fix stuff and keep all the BS out of it.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 22:21 Quote
johnrichy wrote:
balfabb7man wrote:
no continental road tires are the hardest f'in tires in the world to put on man i hate up to death
my dad has continental tyres and although im nt a mechanic, i know exactly what you mean, i get so stressed out when he pays me to fix his punctures

Onza Porcupine tires were terrible! They would not mount on some rims at all

Posted: Sep 25, 2016 at 5:12 Quote
Adding some shit bags,baskets,mud guards or stuff like that that don't fit bike no matter what you do.

It was once but:
-Can you remove rust?
-We can TRY but it will cost extra.
-Ok i will pay.
*a poop alot work later*
-Here it is.
-*found small dot of rust* nah i wont pay.

-Can you do xxx on my bike?
-Yes it will cost xxx.
-Ok no problem i will be back for my bike in 1h.
-Ummm sir you will be able to pick up bike in 2 days.
-Why is that?
-We have alot of work.
-Wtf? How hard it is to screw few bolts?!
-Then just do it yourself...

New guys and they talk like:I don't know how to do that or I don't like to do that...

Bleeding some cosmic disc breaks that i need throw bike like im dancing tango with him to remove all air bubbles.

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 13:01 Quote
Public relations for the shop I am at. I need to go onto forums and find out which customers are unhappy, then organize a big group hug so all is well in the world again.

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 13:16 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
Public relations for the shop I am at. I need to go onto forums and find out which customers are unhappy, then organize a big group hug so all is well in the world again.

I am unhappy. Please send swag. All thing will be forgiven.

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 at 13:49 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
onemind123 wrote:

I am unhappy. Please send swag. All thing will be forgiven.

I will send you an exotic dancer that we met in Vegas.

His name is Hans, he is a bit hairy but very flexible.

Thank you for your patronage.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015188
Mobile Version of Website