Powered by Outside

Good forks? I paid good money and I don't know how to work on my fork.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Good forks? I paid good money and I don't know how to work on my fork.
Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
kicksnlicks wrote:
AustinSedz wrote:
CLOSE THIS HE HAS HIS ANSWER!! thankyou
Not by a long shot.
Actually he has by getting a rebuild they should set it up for him and explain it to him, but there is no harm in continueing the discusion is there

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:01 Quote
pimpedaline wrote:
Just to make sure you know rebound adjustment effects how fast the fork returns to full travel after a hit, be it the face of a jump or landing. Full fast is going make it return fast and cause it to top out, full slow will make it want to stay compressed, no oil and the adjustments will make no difference.
Dual air means that on the top and bottom of a fork leg, not one on each side. I am sure that what you have is air preload, or helper. It does what we use to do by over filling the fork with oil, oil will not compress as easy as air so the fork would ramp up faster, air preload does the same thing by putting the air space above the oil under pressure so the fork ramps up quicker, air preload is easier on the fork as if you get too much air in the fork it will just seep past the seals. A fork with too much oil will blow the seals out of the fork. I found that out with a 02 JrT that was bottoming but I liked the feel of the spring and rebound so I just kept adding oil to stiffen it up, took it for a ride did a 4 foot drop to flat, seal blew out of the left leg and I toasted the stanction, in time I found that a 2-4% over fill worked best for me, but those days are over now.
well i want the fork like a trampoline but i dont want it top out. And i want it really stiff?

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:06 Quote
Dr-Jackal wrote:
pimpedaline wrote:
Just to make sure you know rebound adjustment effects how fast the fork returns to full travel after a hit, be it the face of a jump or landing. Full fast is going make it return fast and cause it to top out, full slow will make it want to stay compressed, no oil and the adjustments will make no difference.
Dual air means that on the top and bottom of a fork leg, not one on each side. I am sure that what you have is air preload, or helper. It does what we use to do by over filling the fork with oil, oil will not compress as easy as air so the fork would ramp up faster, air preload does the same thing by putting the air space above the oil under pressure so the fork ramps up quicker, air preload is easier on the fork as if you get too much air in the fork it will just seep past the seals. A fork with too much oil will blow the seals out of the fork. I found that out with a 02 JrT that was bottoming but I liked the feel of the spring and rebound so I just kept adding oil to stiffen it up, took it for a ride did a 4 foot drop to flat, seal blew out of the left leg and I toasted the stanction, in time I found that a 2-4% over fill worked best for me, but those days are over now.
well i want the fork like a trampoline but i dont want it top out. And i want it really stiff?
Sorry no such thing, learn to ride with your fork adjusted properly, or sell the 4X and buy cheap forks and live with the top out. Sorry to sound rude but you are wasting a good fork, peoples time who are trying to help, and asking for the imposible. Not to mention all the people who will read the first few post and think that all 4Xs are crap when they aren't.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:19 Quote
Yeah.. a 4x is good for 4x.... if you want a plush street fork buy a 55 and lower it.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 22:46 Quote
Get a 2009 Rock Shox 318 brand new off ebay dude. They run for $320 with free shipping in the original box. Here's one of them but they are going quick.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 23:09 Quote
[/Quote]
I got 50 in each leg[/Quote]

Although I haven't read your fork's tech manual or anything, I currently ride a Marz SL-2 that likley has a very similar if not identical neg air chamber setup, etc. I would suggest dialing down the neg air from 50 to about 25-30 and ramping up the pos air to about 65. I would also keep with everyone's advice and turn the rebound (which I think might actually be your compression knob??). I thought rebound was controlled by the neg air? Anyway, for poops and giggles try the following:

pos air 60-65psi (I would never set neg air = pos air or higher than pos air)
neg air 25-30psi (try 15-20 even)
adj knob (I believe to be compression) - turn out about 1/4 to the left

You should end up with a fork that 'comes up' slower and doesn't bang at the top of it's travel. You should also feel a bit more of a 'spring' feeling at the bottom of it's travel to help you get the wheel up easier. At the end of the day, this is a world cup class 4X race fork that will likely also need to be lowered to be a decent DJ fork.

I know that everyone says that we need to drop this and move on but I don't feel like 'rebuilding the whole fork' is going to be the answer. You could also slow it down some with a slightly heavier oil... 10wt??

Please try my suggestions and let me know how you find the responsiveness/change of the fork...

Thanks,
Andrew.

Posted: Mar 18, 2009 at 23:31 Quote
Dr-Jackal wrote:
It wasn't new but the guy before bairly rode it. And marzocchi says there is nothing wrong with it

Did you actually know the guy? I’ve noticed a common theme in the buy&sell ads on Pinkbike. Wordings like ‘barely ridden,’ and ads claiming ‘I built it, and it sat ever since,’ or ‘only used a few times to go to the store’ seem bull shit to me. Say your rode your 888, 40, or boxer or any fork for the mater near dead. Hucked it, raced it, did it all and now you wanted to sell it to try and upgrade. Are you going to tell the truth? Buying used makes sense economically, but in reality you could just be picking up someone’s else’s headache, like buying a new car for $500. I`m not saying to not be trusting, or be alert of everyone but when someone seems to good to be true it probably is. Especially with a few year old used forks.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 7:28 Quote
I don't want to sideline this thread but as an FYI, all of my used part buying experiences have been fantastic on PB. All of the folks I have dealt with have been very upfront about condition with clear photos, etc. I sell my parts exactly the same way. If you buy something from another member and feel like you were screwed, see if they will take it back if you pay shipping. If not, let others know to be cautiously optimistic with that member.

I STILL say that this fork has two issues, it isn't set up correctly and it's a 4X specific fork.

Thanks,
Andrew.

wonder-kid wrote:
Dr-Jackal wrote:
It wasn't new but the guy before bairly rode it. And marzocchi says there is nothing wrong with it

Did you actually know the guy? I’ve noticed a common theme in the buy&sell ads on Pinkbike. Wordings like ‘barely ridden,’ and ads claiming ‘I built it, and it sat ever since,’ or ‘only used a few times to go to the store’ seem bull shit to me. Say your rode your 888, 40, or boxer or any fork for the mater near dead. Hucked it, raced it, did it all and now you wanted to sell it to try and upgrade. Are you going to tell the truth? Buying used makes sense economically, but in reality you could just be picking up someone’s else’s headache, like buying a new car for $500. I`m not saying to not be trusting, or be alert of everyone but when someone seems to good to be true it probably is. Especially with a few year old used forks.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 7:45 Quote
taylorglorydh wrote:
Get a 2009 Rock Shox 318 brand new off ebay dude. They run for $320 with free shipping in the original box. Here's one of them but they are going quick.

sweeet

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
tacobell123 wrote:
wow i was just gonna get the 4x, but....

But you just read the post above yours and realized what a concise, well thought out comment it was? But you realized the OP was very adept at describing "springy" things and so must know his shit? But you realized unsupported claims on the internet are the best guide to buying products? This is hands down my favorite PB comment this year.

Sorry to pick on you Tacobell, but i just thought this post exemplified the strange power people seem to have sitting in front of their computer posting on the internet.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 8:04 Quote
Dr-Jackal wrote:
Hey i am looking for a good fork for like street and Dj and all that fun stuff. Right now i have a marzocchi 2007 4x bought it 2 years ago and all it ever wanted to do was top out and make noises sounding like its going to die. I am looking for a good fork thats nice and springy i guess you can say. Also keep in mind i am trying to have a lite bike.

Marzocchi 4x is 4.7 pounds

hmm, this is odd, I have a few friends with the same fork but they feel/ride great.

Have you rebuilt the fork since buying it?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009535
Mobile Version of Website