Powered by Outside

Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 9:04 Quote
DJNEK wrote:
psymosfear wrote:
DJNEK wrote:

Ahh sweet thanks man. Do you know if you can get like an at home powder coating kit?

not that i know of cause it has stripped and cleaned chemically then powder coated its a fine powder and finally i has to be heat baked in a oven to become hard as nails and glossy ..but check you local phone book for a powder coating or automotive painting company

Ahh, okay I thought it was like spray paint then threw in an oven, which like you could do at home in your oven. Thanks for the infoo!

well if there is a kit out there it would probably cost more in time and materials for just that ...it would be faster,way cheaper,and much better quality work just to find a shop locally that does it professionally......like max $60 is all i would pay my self max....but for sure always try to get a better deal for such a simple thing

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 18:50 Quote
I've decided to wait on full on painting my bike with the riding season starting soon. It's grey, but its lacking its shine. I was wondering can I just get a spray can of clear coat and go over the frame to give it some shine to last threw this year and then in the fall rebulid it and repaint.
Also, ideas on the bike color wise to plan for?

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 22:43 Quote
DJNEK wrote:
I've decided to wait on full on painting my bike with the riding season starting soon. It's grey, but its lacking its shine. I was wondering can I just get a spray can of clear coat and go over the frame to give it some shine to last threw this year and then in the fall rebulid it and repaint.

yes you can just clear coat it for this season that fine ...but for sure it will be needed to be redone next season ...but how ever before doing that buy some Mr Clean Magic Erasers ...and use them with hot soap water to scrub clean the frame first ...cause you may find thats all it need to become all new and shine looking again ...the Magic Erasers are awsome stuff they will make any thing that is fading or dirty white and shiny new looking ..it also can remove bad dark black scuff marks off the frame ..and works to clean any color to new looking again ...so if your frame is all scratched and scraped up and the metal is showing through then a repaint is a better option ..

.but if its just a lot of marks and scuffs from just transport or from leaning against stuff or the odd minor wipe out them MR CLEAN Magic Eraser will remove all that and make it brand new looking almost ...some makes are tougher to remove than others and you may need to scrub a bit with the eraser to get it out ..but for sure it will get them all out .....thats what i have bin using the last few years to clean my frames and colored parts so they always look new

...and one note when using MR C MAJ Eraser ..it has some bleach product in it so remember to wipe clean with a separate clean rag to ensure no bleach is left behind and Most important .... keep the eraser away from the front and rear shock seals ...there is bleach in the eraser and the seals are made of rubber/plastic and the bleach will melt the rubber on the seals and destroy them...so keep the eraser a way from fork seals and rear shock seals .....you can use it on rubber hand grips to make clean again but make sure to rinse off right away ..if left on your grips will melt and get slimy

so ya try to give it a very good scrub with MR C Magic Eraser first ...you will be surprised how good it is and how good your bike will look after

Posted: Apr 17, 2011 at 9:59 Quote
psymosfear wrote:
DJNEK wrote:

yes you can just clear coat it for this season that fine ...but for sure it will be needed to be redone next season ...but how ever before doing that buy some Mr Clean Magic Erasers ...and use them with hot soap water to scrub clean the frame first ...cause you may find thats all it need to become all new and shine looking again ...the Magic Erasers are awsome stuff they will make any thing that is fading or dirty white and shiny new looking ..it also can remove bad dark black scuff marks off the frame ..and works to clean any color to new looking again ...so if your frame is all scratched and scraped up and the metal is showing through then a repaint is a better option ..

.but if its just a lot of marks and scuffs from just transport or from leaning against stuff or the odd minor wipe out them MR CLEAN Magic Eraser will remove all that and make it brand new looking almost ...some makes are tougher to remove than others and you may need to scrub a bit with the eraser to get it out ..but for sure it will get them all out .....thats what i have bin using the last few years to clean my frames and colored parts so they always look new

...and one note when using MR C MAJ Eraser ..it has some bleach product in it so remember to wipe clean with a separate clean rag to ensure no bleach is left behind and Most important .... keep the eraser away from the front and rear shock seals ...there is bleach in the eraser and the seals are made of rubber/plastic and the bleach will melt the rubber on the seals and destroy them...so keep the eraser a way from fork seals and rear shock seals .....you can use it on rubber hand grips to make clean again but make sure to rinse off right away ..if left on your grips will melt and get slimy

so ya try to give it a very good scrub with MR C Magic Eraser first ...you will be surprised how good it is and how good your bike will look after

Damn child, you're brilliant.

Posted: Apr 18, 2011 at 11:28 Quote
Hi, I am looking to give my Giant Reign 0 frame a new life. I would like to get it painted and maybe add some decals. Can anyone point in the right direction to get this done.

Quality Painters?
Good vinyl/decal shop?

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 20:13 Quote
This thread is more geared towards doing it yourself....I say practice and give it a try. Reading up on this thread will help

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 23:01 Quote
psymosfear wrote:
DJNEK wrote:

Today I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser with some of this knock off Pine Sol stuff, it was amazing. It's so clean its unreal, it looks like it just came from the factory. I spent about 2 hours really cleaning it. Got all the dirt off I could, and she shines like new. It also helped me find a little hairline crack in a weld on the top tube of the frame which I fixed.

Posted: Apr 19, 2011 at 23:04 Quote
Spray in bedliner stuff for chain scrapes?

I'm thinking about going down to my hardwear store in town, and picking up a can of the spray in bedliner stuff, and taping off an area right below the chain for chain slap, kinda a permenet chain slap guard. And also on the bottom of the frame. I'd guess that'd prevent rock chips like how it does in a truck bed.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 5:47 Quote
DJNEK wrote:
Spray in bedliner stuff for chain scrapes?

I'm thinking about going down to my hardwear store in town, and picking up a can of the spray in bedliner stuff, and taping off an area right below the chain for chain slap, kinda a permenet chain slap guard. And also on the bottom of the frame. I'd guess that'd prevent rock chips like how it does in a truck bed.
Although it might protect the frame/paint from chainslap it will still be noisy....worth a try though, there has to be some somewhat easy way to remove it.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 18:41 Quote
photo

First bike i ever painted, Sold this bike a while ago, but what do you guys think on my paintjob?

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 18:44 Quote
basic but looks good Wink

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 at 20:48 Quote
No-idea wrote:
photo

First bike i ever painted, Sold this bike a while ago, but what do you guys think on my paintjob?

Would have been sick without the monster stickers.

Posted: Apr 27, 2011 at 11:49 Quote
DJNEK wrote:
No-idea wrote:
photo

Would have been sick without the monster stickers.
yeahh, i really liked monster back then haha

O+
Posted: Apr 30, 2011 at 13:47 Quote
has anybody tried using a spray on bed liner for the underside of their downtubes and the chainstays as an alternative to inntertubes/lizard skins/fenders? i want to try it but id also like some input on the idea

Posted: Apr 30, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
blackXLabel13 wrote:
has anybody tried using a spray on bed liner for the underside of their downtubes and the chainstays as an alternative to inntertubes/lizard skins/fenders? i want to try it but id also like some input on the idea

I swore I just said/asked that..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020672
Mobile Version of Website