the final showdown, boxxer or 888?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
the final showdown, boxxer or 888?
Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 19:24 Quote
coca wrote:
Haha, I got ya. I knew you would say that...how do you know that the springs are the right wieght for the owner? That's it though, I'm done here. Everyone is so stuborn!

hey man the springs were right for him because he works at a shop and has become good friends with the norco rep and can get them to do little things for him on his bike when he orders it and he had them put in the springs for his weight

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 21:33 Quote
2006 boxxer wc

i bought the Boxxer after being hit by a car while doing a urban DH were my 888 got f*cked...

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 21:48 Quote
Both are very strong and reliable, both have awesome damping but the 888 just looks way cooler and its made in Italy, or it used to be.

Posted: Dec 4, 2007 at 22:11 Quote
to all the guys who rate boxxers break alot, i hit a tree stump at probably 60k with my boxxer world cups, dead on, i ended up breaking my collarbone and only the oil seals popped, none of the internals were severly damaged at all.. this from the lightest boxxer ever made(well thats what i was told)as far as im concerned, that is one dam big hit and the fact that they didn't break is just a huge surprise... i really didn't think they would have survived.. just my 2 cents...

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 1:17 Quote
coca wrote:
I agree that the Boxxer would probably need more service, but small bump sensitivity being better on the 888? I've never heard this as an arguement before.

And outpost, I have never had a problem with flex, and how slow are you going through rock gardens where you have the time to look down at you wheel to see it is straight? And riding a fork for a month, then giving it back with no questions asks doesn't seem right. I'm just saying, it's a little fishy and I'm not really believing you've ridin' a B-cup for a month.
I own a shop, the sunday was our test bike, so i took it upon myself to test it.
And definately not slow, i can see the wheel at the bottom of my vision, when you're used to a 40 or a 888 you definately notice the flex at certain points.

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 1:42 Quote
what do you want the fork for??? racing?? look at the world cup circuit... which dominates??? boxxer, think about it, sam hill, steve peat, nathan rennie, greg minnaar cant be wrong... and for all u guys out there that say boxxers are weak and all that, the pro's put their boxxers through a hell of alot more than any of us could and they reliable at world cup, i haven't seen one break yet... point is none of us here will ever ride a boxxer at its limits of strength so that pretty much negates the strangth issue... point is, the majority pro's wouldn't use them if they weren't the best, boxxer is the most successful race fork in history..

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 2:14 Quote
Another thing, the pros are using Boxxers because they are lighter than 888s, in my opinion this is the only reason. For example if most people on pinkbike could ride a WC course, at the same time sam hill was riding it, Im sure he would own all of them. The reason he is using a Boxxer is because maby the weight of them will give him that 1 or 2 seconds faster, or so he thinks.

I say to all normal ability riders try an 888 and a boxxer which ever feels better take it, because the 200 maby 300 grams extra doesnt matter unless u are at pro level.

I think Im gonna have to bring this back just to show some new people what I think.

Infact racing downhill is a very aggressive sport, how can u just choose say that boxxers arent for freeride. It doesnt matter to most because my opinion is that most people here havent ever snapped a boxxer. They are saying they are bad for freeride, when they havent ever snapped one. Sure the 888s are stronger forks and will last better for extreme freeriding. But most people who are saying Boxxers arent for freeriding have made their mind up because the people who can actually do stuff big enough to snap Boxxers have snapped them. 888s are stronger but most of us dont have to worry about it, if Boxxers are the best for racing then they can take a hell of a lot of abuse.

And by the way I ride 888s and like them more than Boxxers, so I am not against 888s.

Some might not agree If so Im sorry this is my opinion

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 2:19 Quote
stabdee661 wrote:
what do you want the fork for??? racing?? look at the world cup circuit... which dominates??? boxxer, think about it, sam hill, steve peat, nathan rennie, greg minnaar cant be wrong... and for all u guys out there that say boxxers are weak and all that, the pro's put their boxxers through a hell of alot more than any of us could and they reliable at world cup, i haven't seen one break yet... point is none of us here will ever ride a boxxer at its limits of strength so that pretty much negates the strangth issue... point is, the majority pro's wouldn't use them if they weren't the best, boxxer is the most successful race fork in history..
Maybe it is the most successful DH race fork, but the pros have a strip down service after pretty much every race. Oh and josh bryceland snapped his recently, he is a WC rider.

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 8:07 Quote
They don't "choose" to use them either, Rock Shocks sponsers those teams. But, this whole arguement doesn't change the fact that if I had the cash I'd probably pick the fork the looks better to me. The two forks are so close that it wouldn't matter.

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 8:13 Quote
wesley1234567 wrote:
Another thing, the pros are using Boxxers because they are lighter than 888s, in my opinion this is the only reason. For example if most people on pinkbike could ride a WC course, at the same time sam hill was riding it, Im sure he would own all of them. The reason he is using a Boxxer is because maby the weight of them will give him that 1 or 2 seconds faster, or so he thinks.

I say to all normal ability riders try an 888 and a boxxer which ever feels better take it, because the 200 maby 300 grams extra doesnt matter unless u are at pro level.

I think Im gonna have to bring this back just to show some new people what I think.

Infact racing downhill is a very aggressive sport, how can u just choose say that boxxers arent for freeride. It doesnt matter to most because my opinion is that most people here havent ever snapped a boxxer. They are saying they are bad for freeride, when they havent ever snapped one. Sure the 888s are stronger forks and will last better for extreme freeriding. But most people who are saying Boxxers arent for freeriding have made their mind up because the people who can actually do stuff big enough to snap Boxxers have snapped them. 888s are stronger but most of us dont have to worry about it, if Boxxers are the best for racing then they can take a hell of a lot of abuse.

And by the way I ride 888s and like them more than Boxxers, so I am not against 888s.

Some might not agree If so Im sorry this is my opinion

Amazing post man, I totally hear you on what your saying.

and well just to throw it in my opinion I like the feeling of the boxxers over the 888's. lol

Cheers

Posted: Dec 5, 2007 at 8:14 Quote
yep, Wilson's right.
it's like the Team's manager comes to you saying "hey dude, here's a Boxxer WC brand new for you. for free! do whatever you want, and don't worry if you f*ck it, just gimme a call and the courier will bring a brand new one 4 ya"

if it happens to me i would be riding a Boxxer again :-)

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 6:57 Quote
hey im aaron im the one that started this thread good to hear about which is better but on the topic of weight the 08 888 rc3x weighs less then a boxxer wcand they are butter out of the box!!

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 8:10 Quote
they weigh less because their weight does not include steerer and oil. so ya it weighs less but its kinda hard to put on your bike and ride

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 13:00 Quote
Spag save your breathe, they will never understand/listen to that. haha. It is true though.

Posted: Dec 9, 2007 at 14:54 Quote
bikesbeforebabes wrote:
hey im aaron im the one that started this thread good to hear about which is better but on the topic of weight the 08 888 rc3x weighs less then a boxxer wcand they are butter out of the box!!
how are they lighter? the 08 888rc3x WC are 6.83 lbs and the 888 ata WC are 6.41 lbs and thats without steerer tube or oil, the boxxer WC are 6.1lbs with steerer tube

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012112
Mobile Version of Website