Powered by Outside

How to lower Argyle 318

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to lower Argyle 318
Posted: May 12, 2009 at 7:16 Quote
I actually had to put 40mm of spacers to get it down to 80mm, but I like the geo for the djs and it does seem to work better. A nice felt washer on top stopped the metal kinking noise too. What did the oil look like in side of your shock? Mine was basically grease.

Posted: May 12, 2009 at 23:54 Quote
twistedmistersartz wrote:
I actually had to put 40mm of spacers to get it down to 80mm, but I like the geo for the djs and it does seem to work better. A nice felt washer on top stopped the metal kinking noise too. What did the oil look like in side of your shock? Mine was basically grease.

Hardly any came out of mine, but what did was just sludge really! i put some 10 weight back in.

Went for a ride last night and they are so nice on park. Whacked compression all the way up, so they are pretty much rigid. Dont lose any speed from the fork sucking up on take offs, but are soft enough when you land.

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 7:02 Quote
When you say "10 weight" what do you mean, like motor oil?

Posted: May 13, 2009 at 7:29 Quote
No fork oil! the oil that normally comes standard in most forks is around 7 - 7.5 weight, so 10 slows the rebound down a little bit more... not that its needed, the rebound adjust on argyles works great

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 14:26 Quote
okay, so when i attempted to lower my fork it didnt work.
i put 20mm of spacers between the shock hat and the negative spring, then cut 20mm off of the preload spacer on the top to compensate. everything looked great until i got half way through screwing on the top cap. At about the half way point it stopped threading, and when i tried to force it, (because i kinda figured i was going to have to since the spring was compressing) i ended up stripping the top cap.
so now i am sending my fork to rockshox so they can fix it for me, but i asked my lbs about getting rockshox to lower it to 80 mm for me, they said that rockshox wont do it? so im pretty much back to square one, and extremely pissed off that i have to pay to get my fork fixed.
if someone could give me some insight to what went wrong, besides stripping the top cap, that would be appreciated.

Posted: May 21, 2009 at 23:46 Quote
mattridesbikes wrote:
i put 20mm of spacers between the shock hat and the negative spring, then cut 20mm off of the preload spacer on the top to compensate. everything looked great until i got half way through screwing on the top cap. At about the half way point it stopped threading, and when i tried to force it, (because i kinda figured i was going to have to since the spring was compressing) i ended up stripping the top cap.
so now i am sending my fork to rockshox so they can fix it for me, but i asked my lbs about getting rockshox to lower it to 80 mm for me, they said that rockshox wont do it? so im pretty much back to square one, and extremely pissed off that i have to pay to get my fork fixed.
if someone could give me some insight to what went wrong, besides stripping the top cap, that would be appreciated.

You didnt screw the cap in straight... if stuff gets tight like halfway through threadingit never force it, take it back out and try again making sure its straight... it's the same as any other nut and bolt. I doubt you'll get that on warranty eitehr so you will probably have to pay for a new crown which sucksThumbs Down

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 8:41 Quote
jessejones wrote:
mattridesbikes wrote:

You didnt screw the cap in straight... if stuff gets tight like halfway through threadingit never force it, take it back out and try again making sure its straight... it's the same as any other nut and bolt. I doubt you'll get that on warranty eitehr so you will probably have to pay for a new crown which sucksThumbs Down

well that kinda makes sense, but it was threading so smooth before the halfway point? it mustve been burrs or something, but yeah its not covered on warranty , and myu lbs couldnt give me a wuote on how much its going to cost to fix it, so im pretty pissed...

Posted: May 22, 2009 at 20:45 Quote
whatever the cause of your stripping this stuff happens to the best of us. but fortunately for you it wont happen again. Your not paying for a new crown(and probably a new steer tube) your paying for the valuable lesson.

at least your not in the market for a new fork

on another note yea mine was just grease and like 5 drops of oil, makes me think i new to rebuild the whole thing and make sure its got juice.

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
I may be doing this soon, My argyles arrived the other day and is there any way of seeing which year they are? I got them second hand.

Thanks

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 11:59 Quote
lr-mtb wrote:
I may be doing this soon, My argyles arrived the other day and is there any way of seeing which year they are? I got them second hand.

Thanks
under the crown

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 12:01 Quote
doberdude wrote:
lr-mtb wrote:

Thanks
under the crown
aaah yea, 06Eek I thought they were newer Frown

Do you lower them differently depending obnn what year they are?

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 12:45 Quote
lr-mtb wrote:
doberdude wrote:
lr-mtb wrote:

Thanks
under the crown
aaah yea, 06Eek I thought they were newer Frown

Do you lower them differently depending obnn what year they are?
nope

Posted: May 29, 2009 at 23:36 Quote
In what year Argyle 409 was avaible in black version? Only 09 or 08 too?

Posted: Jun 3, 2009 at 14:32 Quote
How do people have trouble with this I did it in 10 minutes no joke.....I love Argyle internals lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014976
Mobile Version of Website