Powered by Outside

Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken Collar Bone Recovery Time
Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 15:35 Quote
Let the bone heal on it's own.Even if it is nasty and a compound fracture.Mine was bad after doing a face plant into a tree.I went back too work in 6 weeks which was a touch too early .Do says keep it in sling for atleast 8 weeks and if you can stay off work 10 - 12 weeks.Surgery forget it .That is mostly for dislocating shoulder joint where the nerves are everywhere ,more pain when you do that then a fractured clavicle.I do have a small bump from the bone fusing and going to work in 6 weeks so give it 10 - 12 and you should be totally fine.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 15:59 Quote
dekerfan wrote:
wolverine1553 wrote:
What do you guys suggest surgery or just let it heal on its own?

surgery all the way in my oppinion if they offer it to you, mine is in a much better position now and i have full movement where wouldnt have if i had of left it due to a shortend clavicle,

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 16:13 Quote
just broke my wrist saturday you think i will be riding in six weeks?
as for collar bone i was good to go in six weeks and little rehab to strenghten the tendents back up

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 16:19 Quote
unclesmokey84 wrote:
as for collar bone i was good to go in six weeks and little rehab to strenghten the tendents back up

nope, from experience you will be in a cast for 6-8 weeks depending on your progress, after that you will need lots of physio to get the movement back in the wrist which can be very painfull and slow depending on the break, but each person is different but i think 6 weeks is well to ambitious,

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 16:22 Quote
tombate911 wrote:
unclesmokey84 wrote:

nope, from experience you will be in a cast for 6-8 weeks depending on your progress, after that you will need lots of physio to get the movement back in the wrist which can be very painfull and slow depending on the break, but each person is different but i think 6 weeks is well to ambitious,

thanks manCry

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
unclesmokey84 wrote:
tombate911 wrote:
unclesmokey84 wrote:

thanks manCry

no worries, just passing on my experience, one of my riding buddies has just broke his wrist last weekend which will have put him out for this summer, but its better to get it right first time around rather than having problems later on in life, its gutting having to sit at home when all your mates are out riding, i have missed out on so many good rides since feb but i want to make sure my shoulders all good and also make sure i get to go on holiday so i am saving it till i go on holiday Razz

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 17:39 Quote
im healing from surgery on my left side back in the first week of may. im six weeks out of surgery and am almost at full motion. no heavy lifting for atleast another 4 weeks but the doc says i could see some xc riding by end of july. anything to get me back on a bike. its a long road ahead but taking it easy now and listening to the doc will pay off down the road.

Posted: Jun 18, 2009 at 19:45 Quote
5 weeks later, I can ride my bike with no issues at all. I have 98% movement back in my shoulder without aching.

Posted: Jun 19, 2009 at 9:52 Quote
Cheers for the info. It still feels as if there are pieces of bone shifting around inside my shoulder and I'm at the beginning of my 3rd week Frown I can't wait to feel like I have a solid shoulder again. Did you attend Physio and if so would you say that it's vital I attend sessions? I am very active and would prefer to do my own at home. One other question, at what stage did your sling come off?

O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2009 at 10:12 Quote
i've broken both collar bones. the right side shouldn't need physio as you will be using it for day to day living. if it's your left you should get physio as it just hangs out alot of the time and doesn't get as much movement through it's full range of motion. it was tough learning how to shave left handed.

Posted: Jun 19, 2009 at 10:28 Quote
Cheers, I wasn't keen on the idea of seeing a PT in the 1st place. I might just go see them for a once off visit to find out what I can do with my arm during different times on my path to recovery, ie. When I can start lifting little weights etc.

Posted: Jun 19, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
My sling came off at the end of week two for the first time then I went for the whole of week 3 with it on or off depending on the condition my muscles were in that day. If you're still feeling weird stuff in your shoulder by week 3 go see your doctor, something isn't right.

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
i snapped my sollerbone and joints in my shoulder 3 months ago and ive just started riding xc. I still cant ride bmx. Its safe to say a broken collerbone is the most frustraiting thing ever!

Posted: Jun 22, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
Things are finally starting to feel a bit better but I doubt I will be on a bike for atleast another month or so. Right arm is slowly turning into a stick Frown Can't wait for my next consultation so I can get my X-rays examined and see whats happening. m47h13u how long was it before you were back on a bike again?

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
Rawkus777 wrote:
Things are finally starting to feel a bit better but I doubt I will be on a bike for atleast another month or so. Right arm is slowly turning into a stick Frown Can't wait for my next consultation so I can get my X-rays examined and see whats happening. m47h13u how long was it before you were back on a bike again?

I was riding a bike with both arms at the end of week 3 and fully utilizing both arms by the end of week 5. As it stands my shoulder still gets a tad sore when doing other things and sleeping but it's almost all gone. Biking however is painless.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011820
Mobile Version of Website