Powered by Outside

SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 19:55 Quote
anyone tried a coil, or a higher volume shock (X2, vivid air) on their scout? how does it feel?

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 2:45 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
anyone tried a coil, or a higher volume shock (X2, vivid air) on their scout? how does it feel?

Sadly they don't make either of those in the oddball dimensions of the Scout shock. No biggie really since the Monarch is such a great air shock. It'd be cool to try something else though. I looked for a coil shock for a while but only CCDB and Fast Suspension are available in correct dimensions.

Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 17:23 Quote
How have people got their Monarchs setup?

I'm finding mine to be not so great and skittish over rough chatter, lots of roots rocks etc.
Everywhere else it seems good, bottoms out pretty easily but I can add more bands to sort that.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2016 at 17:39 Quote
gooselogan wrote:
How have people got their Monarchs setup?

I'm finding mine to be not so great and skittish over rough chatter, lots of roots rocks etc.
Everywhere else it seems good, bottoms out pretty easily but I can add more bands to sort that.

Mine is 10lbs over body weight at 190psi with zero bands and rides about 35% sag and is by miles the best air shock I've ever had. Feels almost like a coil.

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 2:12 Quote
Mine is around 30% sag, think I'll drop it to 35% and see what it's like. Not sure how many bands are in it but expect I'll have to add some, already bottoms out easily going by the o ring.

Posted: Sep 23, 2016 at 4:44 Quote
I changed the stock Monarch shock to a Monarch Plus Debon Air with piggy bag in the M/M tune without bands, it is so much better then the stock one

35% sag, good mid stroke support, nice ramp up, makes the Scout so much better

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 10:06 Quote
Anyone tried 26" wheels on their scout? I'm thinking about it for my build, and with a 160mm fork the numbers look about right.

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 12:39 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Anyone tried 26" wheels on their scout? I'm thinking about it for my build, and with a 160mm fork the numbers look about right.
Do it ! Mr Guinea Pig Smile

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 13:14 Quote
fielonator wrote:

Seems like it would work... one thing to note is depending on what year Scout you will be building up the 2015 models have a very low BB even when on 27.5 wheels, 2016 they raised it 5mm.

So if using 26in wheel it will drop it even more, however using a 160 fork will bring up the front end a hair so it might even out?

O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 15:57 Quote
fielonator wrote:

Don't do it. I did when I first got mine as I was making the switch to 650 from 26 and it felt awful. Front end was way to high. 26 was fine but don't put a 160mm fork on it.

Posted: Nov 14, 2016 at 22:44 Quote
I ride a 150mm fork in my Scout and that works really well

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:44 Quote
mbc4386 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

Don't do it. I did when I first got mine as I was making the switch to 650 from 26 and it felt awful. Front end was way to high. 26 was fine but don't put a 160mm fork on it.

Cheers for the replies all. I've looked into it a bit. The axle to crown for pikes is the same for 150mm 650b as it is for 160mm 26" versions. I can always lower the fork to 150mm which will give me roughly the stock angles, with about half an inch lower bottom bracket due to the smaller wheels, but I thought 160mm would be ok.

I'm probably going to try it, just wondered if anyone else had.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:47 Quote
Cliff-Burton wrote:
I ride a 150mm fork in my Scout and that works really well
Seconded

Posted: Nov 15, 2016 at 12:47 Quote
Seems like it would work... one thing to note is depending on what year Scout you will be building up the 2015 models have a very low BB even when on 27.5 wheels, 2016 they raised it 5mm.

So if using 26in wheel it will drop it even more, however using a 160 fork will bring up the front end a hair so it might even out?[/Quote]

It'll be a 2016 or 2017 frame too. I'm having trouble choosing a colour, I quite like the red and black, but I'm not sure.

Posted: Nov 20, 2016 at 11:11 Quote
I've got three shocks for my Carbon Scout:

- 2016 Öhlins TTX coil (still working on the tune for this but it's a game changer)
- Fox Float X (haven't bolted this up yet)
- Factory Monarch RT3

The Öhlins had to be re-valved to the lightest comp/rebound tune possible, then a heavier spring had to be used and turned to 2.5 turns preload. Feels really good, but stays WAY low in the travel. Ok for a lot of riding but we're going to change the valving again and add a few shims in the compression stack.

I've also used a Monarch Plus with L/L tune - did not like one bit.....

I'll be doing back to back runs with the Float X and Öhlins in the next couple days on a short (1.5 mile) section of local trail.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013483
Mobile Version of Website