Powered by Outside

2012 Kona Operator!

PB Forum :: Kona
2012 Kona Operator!
Posted: May 13, 2015 at 17:20 Quote
Anyone have the shock hardware size on hand?

O+
Posted: May 15, 2015 at 19:15 Quote
So I went to go break in my new saints before I go to whistler tmmro and my frame developed a sound....its a significantly loud cracking comming from the ht.....anybody else have this problem? Shes seen 3 rides so far and it just started as I was stopping with my front brake....this is my first carbon frame and it frightens me.

Posted: May 16, 2015 at 3:43 Quote
Your front wheel axel, stem, bars and headset are all properly tightened? I'd double check your headset for play first.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2015 at 10:05 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
Your front wheel axel, stem, bars and headset are all properly tightened? I'd double check your headset for play first.
Yeh ive checked everything

Posted: May 16, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
I'm not sure if carbon fibre would even make a cracking sound if it were compromised because of the way it's layered. Maybe though. Actually now that I think of it, could be your internal cable routing making contact with the frame. Lots of people in the MetaAM thread have mentioned that problem. They've solved it by installing zip ties on the cables and leaving the long end of the tie un-cut. It keeps the cables from rattling around.

Could be anything though. If you're running a boxxer RC or R2C2 Having too few spacers on top of the spring can cause a knocking sound in the top of the drive side stanchion.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2015 at 21:09 Quote
Oh okay thanks for your help but no boxxer running a 40 float.

Posted: May 17, 2015 at 9:04 Quote
brocean wrote:
Anyone have the shock hardware size on hand?
Are you looking for the old alloy hardware? Or carbon?

I might have the old alloy size written down somewhere around here..

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 8:52 Quote
Has anybody changed the headset cups in the carbon operator?
Just tried to change mine and it appears they are bonded in and there is a sleeve between the cups. Any help or experience would be helpful.

photo

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 9:16 Quote
I had the bike shop where I bought the bike do it. Now running a Cane Creek 40 with much success.

I just didn't want to risk damaging the carbon, if the shop screws it up, they can at least deal with the warranty replacement directly.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 9:31 Quote
rnayel wrote:
I had the bike shop where I bought the bike do it. Now running a Cane Creek 40 with much success.

I just didn't want to risk damaging the carbon, if the shop screws it up, they can at least deal with the warranty replacement directly.

Its in a shop now, although not a kona dealer. I had the same thinking, that if they have the tools then they can sort it if it goes wrong. Im trying to replace the whole thing with a hope headset, but they cant get the old cups out.
Top cup has come weird angled bearings, but the bottom does fit a hope replacement.

I cant believe that the cups are permanently bonded into the frame, that would be stupid.

Its this frame if that makes any differance. 2015 frame

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 9:41 Quote
I have the 2014 and it popped out fairly easily I believe

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 10:33 Quote
trueplayer wrote:

I cant believe that the cups are permanently bonded into the frame, that would be stupid.

they are not bonded to the frame...

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 11:13 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:
trueplayer wrote:

they are not bonded to the frame...

Ok in which case, can you remove that carbon bit in between the cups?

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 12:08 Quote
i have no idea. kona has a support forum, go on their site, sign up, ask, and they will help you. (its all free)

ive had them help me my alu operator when i needed some thread pitches and i didnt have my dads tap and die set around.

I just can't see it being bonded in.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 13:54 Quote
Cheers, I will ask on the kona site.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.758356
Mobile Version of Website