Powered by Outside

100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
100 (or more) days of biking in 2022!
O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 17:39 Quote
284 - Managed a 8.6 km loop around Westwood in the snow. Cleaned probably 70% of it...on a normally pretty easy route lol

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 19:08 Quote
128 - great dirt

O+
Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
285 - Tried out commuting today. It borderline crazy. Had to dismount and walk on snow covered sidewalks several times both ways. Supposed to warm up and rain for the rest of the week so hopefully this snow frigs off!

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:42 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
285 - Tried out commuting today. It borderline crazy. Had to dismount and walk on snow covered sidewalks several times both ways. Supposed to warm up and rain for the rest of the week so hopefully this snow frigs off!

Yeah last couple of days here have been pure black ice over everything. Insanely slick

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 19:54 Quote
196- super hard to get out and ride with these short days

Posted: Dec 5, 2022 at 22:36 Quote
p-m-z wrote:
today it was 24’ F so whats that minus 7 C? On my way in. And high humidity making it just unbearable.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
p-m-z wrote:
today it was 24’ F so whats that minus 7 C? On my way in. And high humidity making it just unbearable.

yikes... I can't do cold and dark for bike rides lol

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 17:56 Quote
286 - Less terrifying commute

287 - Almost died on an un-plowed backroad. A bit of standing water on top of ice equals scary af

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:

287 - Almost died on an un-plowed backroad. A bit of standing water on top of ice equals scary af

Just keep pedalling - as soon as you stop, weight transfers forward (and your body tenses up making it worse) and you oversteer like crazy. If you keep pedalling, weight will stay on the back wheel giving you traction and the rotation of your cranks keeps you upright. edit: there are a few trails (including 12 Mile Coulee) that we ride that include multiple winter creek crossings. With a chinook the snow will melt and flow/freeze on the already frozen creek surface making it very very slick. As long as I continue to pedal slowly no issues.

117: fatbike - rode in town last night in 12 Mile Coulee, fantastic grippy snow and, as always, much cooler than up at the top where we dropped in.

118: commute - first commute in a while, been too cold on my Tuesday/Thursday office days for a while.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 3:14 Quote
199- NICA practice
200-- Early AM intervals

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 4:58 Quote
125 - Full Moon Sunrise

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Just keep pedalling - as soon as you stop, weight transfers forward (and your body tenses up making it worse) and you oversteer like crazy. If you keep pedalling, weight will stay on the back wheel giving you traction and the rotation of your cranks keeps you upright. edit: there are a few trails (including 12 Mile Coulee) that we ride that include multiple winter creek crossings. With a chinook the snow will melt and flow/freeze on the already frozen creek surface making it very very slick. As long as I continue to pedal slowly no issues.

Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but yeah I have ridden many times on solid ice or icy surfaces.
There was no riding on this shit lol. It's a back road that's been packed down and mis-shaped by vehicles tires, people's feet, thawed and re-frozen into ice unevenly, one half is uphill the other half is downhill and was starting to melt. If the entire surface was flat and smooth (like a frozen river or lake) I could see someone riding it, but as soon as you hit this your front tire shifts into grooves and bumps in the ice and your back tire shifts into a different groove/bump in the ice and you have no choice but to throw your foot out to prevent crashing.

O+
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
97 - Air Rec center

so close to the goal! Hopefully weather cooperates

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Thanks for the unsolicited advice, but yeah I have ridden many times on solid ice or icy surfaces.

No problem - I just assumed you were playing with smooth glistening ice which I find challenging (at least until I realized the pedalling kept me upright and weight balanced). The chunky stuff has never been my nemesis but I'll defer, sounds like it was pretty doom laden in your case.

119: fatbike - up moose road and down Puma Grande. It's as steep as I remember (plummet comes to mind).

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 18:27 Quote
98 - more building

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011197
Mobile Version of Website