Powered by Outside

Cyclists- Rant about your experiences with motorists!!

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Cyclists- Rant about your experiences with motorists!!
Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 16:58 Quote
Saw this program about road safety on BBC. Statistics show, 7 cyclists are injured or killed on U.Ks roads every day.

So over 2500 cyclists a year. That's a lot of people.

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 18:03 Quote
over 20 years of road riding and way over 100k miles under my belt. To date I have never had any real issues with cars save for a few close passes and yes, most of my miles are on busy roads. I find a lot of guys over react to close calls and make a non event onto a major issue.

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 18:08 Quote
Come to England. I'm on a few road biking forums and see cyclists make threads complaining about drivers a lot.

[YT=www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSiBVTtrS1w]

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 18:19 Quote
kinetic-uk wrote:
Come to England. I'm on a few road biking forums and see cyclists make threads complaining about drivers a lot.

We have the same thing here. As riders we all know the dangers of our "sport" and we have decided that the risk is worth the reward. If I spent as much time worrying and complaining and making videos as some of these guys I would never have the time to ride any miles....lol

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 18:29 Quote
True. And to be honest. Lately I've had about 2 encounters with drivers over the space of a month, the rest of the drivers in my town seem to be careful and considerate for me on the road. I never drive on the motorway (a.k.a highway) even if there are cycle lanes though. Only country roads.

I think the man who made the video obviously had these problems with drivers a lot, so decided to film his daily ride in London.

Posted: Dec 2, 2011 at 23:36 Quote
that stuff on the video happens to me all the damn time, not just to me either, to every one else i know who rides a bike on the roads, just 2 days ago some car pulled out a parking space on a busy main road right in front of me while i was doing like 25mph, it was wet and no way i could stop so i had to speed up, i had to squeeze through about 3 foot between the car and a double decker bus, the car didn't even brake, not fun!

2 weeks ago i had 4 close calls in half n hour, well i was in rush our but still...

also not really a sport if your commuting, then its just a mode of transport

Posted: Feb 5, 2012 at 5:13 Quote
Dug this thread up to complain about something.

Well as many may know it snowed here in england, like 2 inches or something pathetic, so i ride to work at usual, was really fun actually, but all the cars can't handle it as usual.

So, on the way home i had some dumbo' over take me, but it takes him about 100 metres going literally like 1mph faster than me, then he gets to a red light about another 100 metres after that, seriously, what was the point? he went in the other lane of traffic and everything, even slightly skiddied, so for the fun off it i just over took him again lol it did make me laugh! but seriously, that was the most pointless overtake i have ever seen and i have seen many (not saying i'm slow, i'm saying drivers are impatient)

There is many annoying things that happen while riding, but usually a one off, but time and time again i have people doing pointless over takes and often dangerous to, its really been pissing me off, mostly because its so unnecessary.

Rant over, needed that...

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 at 7:26 Quote
Revenge is sweet.....

The bus driver who attacked/knocked off the cyclist (on video on post your fixie) was jailed by the way.

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 at 9:33 Quote
For about 7 months or so!

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 at 9:35 Quote
Not long at all, but long enough to think about your actions.

Posted: Feb 21, 2012 at 9:50 Quote
blendo wrote:
Not me, but watch this.

Eek
hope that diver got sewed. because just from the footage i can see the plate and #

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 at 17:42 Quote
I think at least 80% of drivers do NOT know what the hell bike "hand signals" are...as I"ve used them and drivers ignore them or don't know wtf they are.....so they proceed just as they were going to....so I don't bother using them anymore.. still almost run into me.....I swear...next driver that hits me/almost hits me, my foot is gonna have a date with their door or bumper...or the good old bang on hood with fist.

Like it's as if drivers only understand blinking lights....but even still... some drivers never use a signal...today I almost got run over because some idiot didn't use his signal....and he didn't proceed till I had started off from the stop sign...and he turns right into me....or they have a signal on and they don't even turn the direction it says they're going....

though motorcyclists/scooters seem to be the only one who understand hand signals...as they teach you them in the motorcycle driving course here....

Posted: Apr 5, 2012 at 23:23 Quote
Had a few times where i had to bang my hand on the side of a car to get them to notice me, usually works though

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010703
Mobile Version of Website