Powered by Outside

Whats with Troy Lee helmets?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whats with Troy Lee helmets?
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
harriieee wrote:
You obviously know your shit.

How adequate was the protection of the D2, especially considering the premium price tag?
hows that you are so sure about d2 beein unprotective?
ive crashed mine really hard.. and guess what it feels like, like crashing my old remedy or crasing my pro-tec lid...
dont bash something just because you dont like it

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 16:05 Quote
tld is so expensive because designs are done by hand and not machine. which means more money to pay workers, which also means customer pays higher price.

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
gutless wrote:
tld is so expensive because designs are done by hand and not machine. which means more money to pay workers, which also means customer pays higher price.
if ferrari's werent flashy people wouldnt buy them. some people can buy nice things, deal with it.
(not ment agains gutless)

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
thats what im trying to say there expensive because of that reason if you feel like spening the money its all good
sie7e wrote:
gutless wrote:
if ferrari's werent flashy people wouldnt buy them. some people can buy nice things, deal with it.
(not ment agains gutless)

Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 16:13 Quote
harriieee wrote:
You obviously know your shit.

How adequate was the protection of the D2, especially considering the premium price tag?

The D2 exceeded all safety standards. I agree that it does not justify its price tag.
If you look at the D2 compared to lots of other helmets e.g. Giro Remedy, the profile is much smaller. This is what gives it that aerodynamic racer look which is so appealing. If you look at the inside of the helmet, you can see that the thickness varies, its a little thinner at the side of the head (if i remember correctly). When you use a thinner EPS foam, the density must be increased to compensate for the lack of material.

This happened a lot in the XC and road helmet industry where they were making (and stillare) skimpy helmets so that they can be covered in vents. Less EPS meant higher density EPS.

EPS or other foams used in helmets is what (attempts to) control the heads deceleration through the deformation of the foam. Less dense foam means that it crushes more easily e.g. Remedy, and there is more of it to compress before the bottom out (full compression) takes place. In the D2, the density is higher so that the foam does not bottom out in an impact (as the material is thinner)

A less dense foam will also begin to crush with less force than higher density, which means that the foam will protect against low speed impact (concussions) where high density wont. They will however both protect against high speed impacts if the less dense foam is thicker.

In helmet testings, they have sensors inside the helmet as well as a headform. These must register below e.g. 300 g (force) in a given impact. Both helmets will register below 300 g, but the D2s protection lacks on the slower speed impacts which are not measured.
As with XC helmets, they just make the density higher and higher so that it passes the standards, while the level of protection is decreasing.

Recently, there have been studies on multiple concussions, and that they are actually pretty dangerous (early onset of dimentia, etc...)

Thats why i see the future really in dual density foams, which cater to both high and low speed impacts.

I think this further emphasizes that the D3 is a step in the right direction. Troy Lee make top quality products, and im not saying the D2 is a bad helmet, or the only one with higher density foam. Yes they are hand made, which is one of the reasons for the high price.

I hope this is clear.

**Please not....the D3 is one of the only helmets on the market that uses dual density foam

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:01 Quote
wow their are some tld haters, i was just looking at this thread for some info about the d3. its not that expensive here in canada, only $50 more than the d2 carbon. so it comes to $400 cad. poc though is UBER expensive being $800, prbly cause its from sweden. i dont get why people hate tld, i have a d2 which broke in a crash and without it i would have died. any helmet would have saved me but i bought the tld because it looks cool. thats the only reason, it looks the shit. i have enough money to buy nice steezy things. now im gonna buy a d3, why, cause its awesome, has headphone casing, better vents, and looks even more badass. honestly a bell drop will be just as good but guess what, i dont want a bell drop, i want a d3. for the people saying the d3 is more advance, it may be but when it comes down to it, the people who buy tld gear only buy it cause it looks the shit.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:05 Quote
mr-eric wrote:
wow their are some tld haters, i was just looking at this thread for some info about the d3. its not that expensive here in canada, only $50 more than the d2 carbon. so it comes to $400 cad. poc though is UBER expensive being $800, prbly cause its from sweden. i dont get why people hate tld, i have a d2 which broke in a crash and without it i would have died. any helmet would have saved me but i bought the tld because it looks cool. thats the only reason, it looks the shit. i have enough money to buy nice steezy things. now im gonna buy a d3, why, cause its awesome, has headphone casing, better vents, and looks even more badass. honestly a bell drop will be just as good but guess what, i dont want a bell drop, i want a d3. for the people saying the d3 is more advance, it may be but when it comes down to it, the people who buy tld gear only buy it cause it looks the shit.

At what price do you put pure fashion over function,tld3 is 500 quid here which is double that of a tld2,and 4 times more than a giro remedy.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:08 Quote
POC is so expensive because there is so much r&d gone into developing the helmet so it can offer protection that other helmets don't have.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:10 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
POC is so expensive because there is so much r&d gone into developing the helmet so it can offer protection that other helmets don't have.

This one http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=24196 still cheaper than a tld3.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:12 Quote
UK and Ireland, maybe but Canada, no. Still very expensive for a helmet no matter where you are living.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:14 Quote
slipknot93dh wrote:
UK and Ireland, maybe but Canada, no. Still very expensive for a helmet no matter where you are living.

100 quid is my limit.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:29 Quote
marquis wrote:
mr-eric wrote:

At what price do you put pure fashion over function,tld3 is 500 quid here which is double that of a tld2,and 4 times more than a giro remedy.
well thats your problem its so much more their. as i said, the d3 is at a very comparable price here with other helmets, not poc. and i didnt say that i put fashon over function because obviously the d3 is very functional. what you dont think a tld wont protect your head at all. and yeah it probebly works just as well as a giro but i wanna burn some dough. a subaru sti is just as good as a porshe 911, but why do people buy the porshe when it costs more, cause they want to thats why. a cove shocker is just as capable of a dh bike as a intense 951, why do people get the 951, because they want to. people may say the 951 is better, it just may be, but does that mean the cove shocker wont do as good a job, no. my point is, is that tld is expensive, people like to buy expensive things every once and a while. i like to get a $400 helment, some people like to buy $15000 bikes.

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:54 Quote
you mean your parents like to buy yyou nice things

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 17:56 Quote
stryke wrote:
you mean your parents like to buy yyou nice things
no i buy nice things, i work, i make money, when ur 16 and u work and make decent money and nothing to spend it on it tends to show in the things you like Razz . but srsly i hate people who just get everything by asking. everything on my profile i payed for.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2010 at 18:11 Quote
giro remedy vs 661 evo vs 661 evo carbon
which is the best bang for ur buck?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009431
Mobile Version of Website