The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 11:43 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
Let's hope parking stays free at creekside. I was choked when they made lots 4 and 5 pay parking. Why the hell do we have to pay the same rate as the paved lots to park in a mud hole. Fortunately I have a lifted truck but for others it can be a pain.

Wait what? Seriously? I go away for a few months and this happens? WTF Whistler!

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
Stainer wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
Let's hope parking stays free at creekside. I was choked when they made lots 4 and 5 pay parking. Why the hell do we have to pay the same rate as the paved lots to park in a mud hole. Fortunately I have a lifted truck but for others it can be a pain.

Wait what? Seriously? I go away for a few months and this happens? WTF Whistler!

Make sure you pay. I forgot last time but fortunately I didn't get a ticket. So many other people did.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 12:57 Quote
Stainer wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Paid during peak season. It's free from now until December I think.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 15:56 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
I have a buddy who is like 1.5 million feet, hard to find anyone past that

For some reason WB+ only lets you see the leaderboard by days ridden and not vert... leader is @ 112 days (76 day streak), pretty sure that is Reductimat on here holding down top spot.

Re: parking, lot 4/5 are free from labour day to Dec 15 then pay again until April 15th 2018. Lot 4 is paved.

Thunder: you can always have the wife download Creekside. The one snag there is she still has to ride down Garbo for last lap via Una Moss to Expressway fire road which isn't fun for novices, especially late in the day and on bad weather days when it's cold. That's the one thing that will hold back Creekside growth in my opinion: having to hit Garbo to get there at the end of the day and just how far down it is if you want to go to your vehicle mid-day. Village/Fitz is so much more convenient for that.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 17:34 Quote
gramboh wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

For some reason WB+ only lets you see the leaderboard by days ridden and not vert... leader is @ 112 days (76 day streak), pretty sure that is Reductimat on here holding down top spot.

Re: parking, lot 4/5 are free from labour day to Dec 15 then pay again until April 15th 2018. Lot 4 is paved.

Thunder: you can always have the wife download Creekside. The one snag there is she still has to ride down Garbo for last lap via Una Moss to Expressway fire road which isn't fun for novices, especially late in the day and on bad weather days when it's cold. That's the one thing that will hold back Creekside growth in my opinion: having to hit Garbo to get there at the end of the day and just how far down it is if you want to go to your vehicle mid-day. Village/Fitz is so much more convenient for that.

She could do una Moss, expressway not a chance. It can be treacherous especially when she's riding a Norco range. I thought I was gonna die on sat because I accidentally steered into the loose big rocks. But I held on tight and plowed my way through lol. That's another thing, I don't eat in whistler. I bring food and take my breaks at my truck. Need quick easy access.

Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 19:13 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
gramboh wrote:
kevin267 wrote:

She could do una Moss, expressway not a chance. It can be treacherous especially when she's riding a Norco range. I thought I was gonna die on sat because I accidentally steered into the loose big rocks. But I held on tight and plowed my way through lol. That's another thing, I don't eat in whistler. I bring food and take my breaks at my truck. Need quick easy access.

Ive posting on WBP's trail feed back blog,asking for another blue trail in garbo for this exact reason.Expressway is crazy,and Blue velvet is one long brakebump. it would be nice to give the "not ready for prime time" riders a alternative route to creekside.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 19:48 Quote
I had a bad high speed crash coming off TOTW into Expressway a few years back when I was getting back into biking. Took me years to not be afraid of high speed fire roads after that... they can be sketchy for sure once you get off line.

If there was room to punch in Una Moss down to Creekside top station that would be perfect. It seems to hold up a lot better than BV.. not sure if it's less traffic or gentler grading.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 20:01 Quote
gramboh wrote:
I had a bad high speed crash coming off TOTW into Expressway a few years back when I was getting back into biking. Took me years to not be afraid of high speed fire roads after that... they can be sketchy for sure once you get off line.

If there was room to punch in Una Moss down to Creekside top station that would be perfect. It seems to hold up a lot better than BV.. not sure if it's less traffic or gentler grading.

Gentler grading.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2017 at 21:40 Quote
An easier run in garbanzo would definitely be nice. Why can't they just grade expressway? It's not difficult and they could do it in a few hours...

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 3:23 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
An easier run in garbanzo would definitely be nice. Why can't they just grade expressway? It's not difficult and they could do it in a few hours...

Fyi this was actually done last year, about 30-40 truck loads went into expressway and bear cub. It doesn't last. People brake a lot and it chews up the surface and pulls out rocks like you can't imagine. You also can't just fix steep. It also takes way more than a few hours, saying stuff like that makes you sound dumb, and I'm sure you're not dumb. It took weeks. You can't just drive a grader down a rocky ski run and expect miracles.

There's a continuation of una moss going in from top of creek gondi to blueberry area as well as a continuation of 7 year war to get you there. Stay tuned.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 8:48 Quote
nickel wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Fyi this was actually done last year, about 30-40 truck loads went into expressway and bear cub. It doesn't last. People brake a lot and it chews up the surface and pulls out rocks like you can't imagine. You also can't just fix steep. It also takes way more than a few hours, saying stuff like that makes you sound dumb, and I'm sure you're not dumb. It took weeks. You can't just drive a grader down a rocky ski run and expect miracles.

There's a continuation of una moss going in from top of creek gondi to blueberry area as well as a continuation of 7 year war to get you there. Stay tuned.

Thx Nickel for the update, thx for all the hard work.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 10:29 Quote
goytay wrote:
nickel wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Anyone who thinks you can fix steep by grading has never ever done trailwork on busy routes

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 17:15 Quote
leelau wrote:
goytay wrote:
nickel wrote:

Anyone who thinks you can fix steep by grading has never ever done trailwork on busy routes
So it sounds like a few of you guys are on the trail crew or atleast do a lot of building....so quick question...how come whistler doesn't lay down armour in the berms with those garden blocks? I see them in California and it looks awesome. There is still a few trails with remnants of it at wbp such as devils club, I remember there used to be lots at whistler. Also how come the trail crew doesn't use the portable gas powered tampers instead of hand packing with shovels?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 21:45 Quote
nickel wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

Sweet, as usual you guys have plans dialed, looking forward to that stuff over the next few years.

Amazing conditions today... just perfect grip everywhere and nice weather. Garbo was running well, not remotely muddy as I was expecting. Angry Pirate is sooo buff. Also saw lower Joyride seems to be open.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 21:49 Quote
nickel wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:

I'm a heavy equipment operator. I do this for a living lol. I used to run a grader at a landfill smoothing out roads all day and currently I build roads several kms long for rock truck haul roads. They don't need to add material Every time. Just a light pass to get rid of debris and smooth out bumps. Wouldn't take too much time.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024046
Mobile Version of Website