Powered by Outside

The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 2:26 Quote
Can anybody advise on affordable accommodation for 5 to 7 days end july .... traveling with wife road trip from south Africa ..... our currency makes travel abroad a challenge .

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 12:33 Quote
MaddocSA wrote:
Can anybody advise on affordable accommodation for 5 to 7 days end july .... traveling with wife road trip from south Africa ..... our currency makes travel abroad a challenge .

Define affordable? Whistler is pretty busy in the summer these days and accommodation prices have risen as a result.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 17:49 Quote
HI-Whistler and Whistler Hostal are really good for the price if you don't mind taking the bus, hitchhiking or pedaling up to the park. $40-50 bucks the night if I recall correctly, nice common areas, daily room cleaning, bike storage, and they always have really cool and nice staff members.

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 19:31 Quote
I ended up going to the bike sale. So many good deals. Bought fox demo shorts for $50. I went looking for a trail bike but ended up buying the wife a fury. It is an ex rental bike but in decent condition. Fr1950 wheels, boxxer team, vivid shock, spank components, guide ultimate brakes. Came in at $2000. Not a bad find! They had a session 9.9 for $3k but it was beat to shit. Otherwise would have purchased that.

Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 22:43 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
I ended up going to the bike sale. So many good deals. Bought fox demo shorts for $50.

Man, I would have made the 3 hr drive if I didn't happen to move 6 hrs away for college. Told my cousin to go and see if he could get a bike. Sounded like a blast!

O+
Posted: Apr 15, 2018 at 23:58 Quote
MrReddington wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
I ended up going to the bike sale. So many good deals. Bought fox demo shorts for $50.

Man, I would have made the 3 hr drive if I didn't happen to move 6 hrs away for college. Told my cousin to go and see if he could get a bike. Sounded like a blast!

It's definitely worth the drive out. Helmets, clothes, tools, shoes, body armour, everything dirt cheap. They even had a few santa Cruz v10 demos for $3800. Too bad you moved 6 hours away Lol. Lots of downhill gear but the only trail bike worth looking at was the only remedy they had.

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 16:18 Quote
kingtut87 wrote:
MaddocSA wrote:

Define affordable? Whistler is pretty busy in the summer these days and accommodation prices have risen as a result.

When I come up from Vancouver for a weekend I camp at Nairn Falls.

Posted: Apr 16, 2018 at 18:25 Quote
does anyone going to ride between 15 july and 6 august? got my visitor visa. it would be awesome if someone who knows the park would show us some interesting places or give some advices

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 0:35 Quote
It looks like I'll be spending the summer in Whistler. I finish my current job in the middle of may. Is it worth going to Whistler right away or should I hang around at home until the whole park opens in the middle of June? I'm gonna bring my enduro so I'll be riding both the park and the local trails.

O+
Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 5:44 Quote
Local Whistler XC trails are opening up. Squamish and Pemberton XC trails are already running great! Also, finding housing will be easier the earlier you get here. If the finances allow, show up as early as possible.

Posted: Apr 17, 2018 at 8:55 Quote
There is lots to ride even when only the lower part of the park is open. Plus all the valley trails.

Posted: Apr 22, 2018 at 20:02 Quote
edvin-m wrote:
It looks like I'll be spending the summer in Whistler. I finish my current job in the middle of may. Is it worth going to Whistler right away or should I hang around at home until the whole park opens in the middle of June? I'm gonna bring my enduro so I'll be riding both the park and the local trails.

It really depends what you're looking to do, and what the trade-off is between coming in May as opposed to June. I'd say to visit in May if it means that you're going to be staying longer. Most of the best trails are in the lower half and as previously mentioned, the valley trails are great for enduro riders.

If there's no difference between the two hypothetical trips other than the wait, wait till the whole park opens. You'll avoid the opening week lines, have more trails to ride and hopefully the weather will be nicer. Top of the world might not be open though.

Posted: Apr 22, 2018 at 22:37 Quote
How's the conditions been? Noticed there is still lots of snow. Only a few weeks left till opening day.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2018 at 23:03 Quote
MrReddington wrote:
How's the conditions been? Noticed there is still lots of snow. Only a few weeks left till opening day.

A lot of work to do. Lots of snow all over the valley. A few of the trails in the South are clear, AM/PM, Trash, Train Wreck etc but not a lot else. Lost Lake XC trails are pretty much clear but need some work.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019413
Mobile Version of Website