Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 4:22 Quote
Put a small zip tie around the shock shaft if you can, so you can check more accurately

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 7:58 Quote
Gregd351 wrote:
Put a small zip tie around the shock shaft if you can, so you can check more accurately

Thanks. I can use the bottom out bumper for that if I move it up towards the shock body, but that will only measure the first 70% or so of travel. It won’t help with letting me know that final 30%.

Posted: Aug 21, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
I have a yt jeffsy 27.5. I have a creaking in the, I believe, bottom bracket. It’s a Sram dub system. I’m a newbie to servicing one of these. Can someone tell me what I need as far as size for a new bb? And any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 12:47 Quote
Hugolerner wrote:
I have a yt jeffsy 27.5. I have a creaking in the, I believe, bottom bracket. It’s a Sram dub system. I’m a newbie to servicing one of these. Can someone tell me what I need as far as size for a new bb? And any suggestions appreciated.
Thank you

It should be a PF41 for the DUB 29mm axle.
41 mm outer, 29 mm inner, 11 mm width.

More in this topic I have a 2018 CF Jeffsy and after recently discovering Hambini on yt. I think that the BBs on YTs aren't quite spot on geometricaly speaking, will do some measurements.
I recently bought the bike, fully serviced it, and the non-drive side bearing isn't smooth anymore in less than 500kms.

Any solutions that you guys have for poor alignment?

One half solution would be to ditch the e13 crank for a shimano one with larger bearings, but I just changed the chainring.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 20:55 Quote
Trying to decide between a 170 27.5 Zeb or mullet 150 29 Fox 36. I currently have it setup 160/160 27.5 with the original pike. I have a new meta sx mullet 170/160 for park, so this would mainly be for trail bike duty and flow/jump lines. Thoughts? Anyone tried mullet on this bike lately? I enjoy mixed wheels on the meta, but I'm not sure how much that means for the YT.

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 23:21 Quote
dookeh wrote:
Trying to decide between a 170 27.5 Zeb or mullet 150 29 Fox 36. I currently have it setup 160/160 27.5 with the original pike. I have a new meta sx mullet 170/160 for park, so this would mainly be for trail bike duty and flow/jump lines. Thoughts? Anyone tried mullet on this bike lately? I enjoy mixed wheels on the meta, but I'm not sure how much that means for the YT.

I was in the exact same position just 1 week ago and went lyrik 27.5 170 mm (the last model available in this travel, the 2022 C3). I am only one ride in but I can tell you a few things already. First, the rc2 charger 2.1 ultimate lyrik is waaay better than the pike rct3: stiffer chassis, thus better tracking of the trajectory / more precise, supportive and smooth damper, easy to set up, I like it a lot. You notice the extra weigth a tiny bit for a minute, but this is really not much. What is ibvious, though, is that it rides higher than the previous (B) debonair model. So with a bit more travel and a different air spring, the front end feels significantly higher. This was expected and wanted on my case, but I would not push it further (mulleting the bike means 2 more cm than this setup in total axle to crown distance with 150 mm lyrik and 29 wheel).

Altogether, I would recommend this option, especially as you can now get the 2022 lyrik 170 on sale at a very good price.
Regarding the zeb, I thought about it too, but it adds 5 more mm in height (at constant travel) and 200g or so, which I guessed might be a bit too much and make the bike too heavy, but also potentially too stiff for its purpose (i.e. trail riding). This last point might also depend on your weight (heavy riders (above 90 kg) might want even more stiffness than the lyrik provides). Also, as you already have a bike for the park, I would maybe not modify the jeffsy towards this direction.

Final thought, I hesitated to run a 2023 29 lyrik in 150 or 160 mm, but with my current 27.5 wheel. It would work too, and in this case you could consider the latest (2023) model (or a fox 36, or any other similar fork). That would not mullet the bike, but slightly increase axle to crown height, thus slackening the bike while making the front end ride higher, but not too much that it is detrimental. I hesitated a lot to go this route, but a very good deal on a 27.5 170 mm lyrik decided for me, and I am not disappointed.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 0:55 Quote
TibZ wrote:
dookeh wrote:

I was in the exact same position just 1 week ago and went lyrik 27.5 170 mm (the last model available in this travel, the 2022 C3). I am only one ride in but I can tell you a few things already. First, the rc2 charger 2.1 ultimate lyrik is waaay better than the pike rct3: stiffer chassis, thus better tracking of the trajectory / more precise, supportive and smooth damper, easy to set up, I like it a lot. You notice the extra weigth a tiny bit for a minute, but this is really not much. What is ibvious, though, is that it rides higher than the previous (B) debonair model. So with a bit more travel and a different air spring, the front end feels significantly higher. This was expected and wanted on my case, but I would not push it further (mulleting the bike means 2 more cm than this setup in total axle to crown distance with 150 mm lyrik and 29 wheel).

Altogether, I would recommend this option, especially as you can now get the 2022 lyrik 170 on sale at a very good price.
Regarding the zeb, I thought about it too, but it adds 5 more mm in height (at constant travel) and 200g or so, which I guessed might be a bit too much and make the bike too heavy, but also potentially too stiff for its purpose (i.e. trail riding). This last point might also depend on your weight (heavy riders (above 90 kg) might want even more stiffness than the lyrik provides). Also, as you already have a bike for the park, I would maybe not modify the jeffsy towards this direction.

Final thought, I hesitated to run a 2023 29 lyrik in 150 or 160 mm, but with my current 27.5 wheel. It would work too, and in this case you could consider the latest (2023) model (or a fox 36, or any other similar fork). That would not mullet the bike, but slightly increase axle to crown height, thus slackening the bike while making the front end ride higher, but not too much that it is detrimental. I hesitated a lot to go this route, but a very good deal on a 27.5 170 mm lyrik decided for me, and I am not disappointed.

Let me see if i understand--
A 150 fork with 29 wheel would increase the A2C by 20mm more than a 170 and 27? I'm not willing to drop the travel below 150 so I don't see how this could work for me.
What's the theory behind running a 29 fork with a 27.5 wheel? I have a spare 29er 150 36 which is why I was going to try it on the YT.
My other option is to lower the 36 to 140 and put it on a different bike, and then buy whatever for the YT. But if I can avoid buying an air shaft I'm gonna go that route first.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 1:09 Quote
Lyrik 29 Axle to Crown: 561 mm (150 mm), 571 mm (160 mm), 581 mm (170 mm), 591 mm (180 mm).

Lyrik 27 Axle to Crown: 542 mm (150 mm), 552 mm (160 mm), 562 mm (170 mm), 572 mm (180 mm).

(The pike has similar dimensions)

So the axle to crown length of a 27 170 mm and a 29 150 mm are the same (1mm diff).

The 2 cm extra I mentionned are the difference in diameter between a 27.5 and a 29 wheel (roughly, depends on the tire size too).

Thus if you mullet it with a 29 150 mm, your front end will be 2 cm higher due to the larger diameter of the wheel. By running a 27 wheel in there, you get the same geometry as a 27 170 mm fork (which is already 1 cm longer/higher than the stock 160 mm pike, and 2 cm from the initial 150 mm pike).

In short, a 29 150 mm fork with a 29 wheel raises your front end by 4 cm compared to the stock setup (pike 150 mm). Too much to my liking, it would probably not feel good, especially as it also impacts bottom bracket height, seat tube angle etc.

In your case I would just swap the forks and go for a ride Wink

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 11:20 Quote
I get it now. It seems like the guy a few years ago that tried it at 140 knew what he was doing. I don't think I'd be happy with that amount of travel. Thanks for your help.
So tell me more about the 170 lyrik. I've been happy with the Geo at 160--the bike corners and climbs well. I'd like that extra 10 but not if it comes with a lot of cons. I am running a 35 rise bar which I guess I could lower to 20. I'm about 90kg kitted, and we aren't building the jumps any smaller, but I want this bike to still be nimble. You wouldn't be able to post a pic of yours would ya?

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
If you have the fox 36 29 150 mm at hand, you could swap the fork and see how the geo feels (with your current 27 wheel, this gives very similar geo to a lyric 27 170, just with less travel).
Regarding the lyrik (or a 36 27), you can always try it at 170 mm, and if it feels like too much travel, drop it to 160.
For now, after just a couple of rides, I like the confidence it provides, probably thanks to increased travel, stiffness, slacker head angle and higher stack. And a way better damper. Of course, it makes it a bit harder to properly weight the front wheel on mellow trails and flat turns, but way better in the steep, so a matter of tradeoffs, as usual. Playing with spacers under the stem is also always an option is you want to lower the handlebars by a few mm to compensate for the increased a2c.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 12:26 Quote
photo

photo

Sorry for the dark / potato pics

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
Looks so long legged haha. Prob just the angle since it's from the front. What size you on? Mines a large alu red/black. I'm really waffling back and forth between 160/170 lyrik+zeb. I have a 38 on my meta and I do like looking down on that monster.

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 22:03 Quote
I ended up grabbing a 160 27.5 lyrik in red. I have a Kona process 111 that will get the 36. Thanks for the help!

Posted: Aug 30, 2022 at 23:52 Quote
Nice, post pics once ready to shred Wink

Posted: Sep 9, 2022 at 1:37 Quote
Could feel the added stiffness immediately in the parking lot. Love it.

photo

I also picked up a second hand 230x60 super deluxe to have a shorter travel air option available. I tried to grab the same tune as the original deluxe (light compression, medium rebound) but I think I may have messed up and grabbed the opposite (medium compression, light rebound). Am I completely boned or will this possibly be rideable at my 195 riding weight? It also has a megneg on it, which I read is better on linear bikes. It's coming with the original air can tho so I can swap that out later if I need to.
Does anyone more knowledgeable about suspension than me have any input?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014187
Mobile Version of Website