Powered by Outside

The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 23:37 Quote
My understanding is that the new China Canada treaty allowed Squamish to put in a pipeline direct from the slab trails to Shanghai as long as a refinery was built in Howe Sound and that the refinery is powered by Orca blubber ( to satisfy Made.In Canada) laws.

These new regs don't require environmental approval as long as the Chinese frackers partner with a local organization. In this case they're signing a deal with SORCA to take all the ground up granite from the slab trails. SORCA is using this to put granite crush over all the trails to keep them flowy and make Squamish trails more like Bend and Boulder.

What a time to be alive! I hope this Bend and Boulder influence come to Whistler! The world needs more flow

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 5:46 Quote
Personally I welcome our new chinese overlords.

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
Stainer wrote:
wat

Its quote from the simpsons. Kent Brockman www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4jWAwUb63c

Posted: Apr 16, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Anyone going to the big bike sale this weekend, and/or could tell me about it?

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 20:14 Quote
Hey,

Has anyone stayed at the Pinnacle Hotel, and used their bike lock up?, im looking for input before i book.

Cheers

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 5:34 Quote
Hi guys,

After years of reading articles and watching videos about the Whistler bike park I'm finally heading up there this year. As you might see in my avatar, I'm a XC mountain biker - kinda my only choice as there are no mountains in the Netherlands. I'm doing a road trip with my GF (Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies) and I expect to be in Whistler around May 25th. That would be kinda at the start of my trip. Another option would be around June 8th, at the end of my trip (which has the advantage of me not ruining our road trip by breaking my leg or something).

I'd like to ride the bike park for a day, but I have no experience. So I've got a couple of questions, with which I was hoping you guys could help me:

- What's the best place for renting a bike, helmets, protector, etc.? What kinda costs should I expect for 1 day of riding?
- How can I find anyone who is willing to guide a fellow mountain biker though the bike park? I know there are beginner trails, but seeing as there are no mountains in the Netherlands, I'm afraid I'll be scared shittles standing at the top of a trail, all geared up, all by myself. Razz

If you have any other tips you might think of, I'm happy to hear them.

Cheers! Beer

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 7:09 Quote
daanwalet wrote:
Hi guys,

After years of reading articles and watching videos about the Whistler bike park I'm finally heading up there this year. As you might see in my avatar, I'm a XC mountain biker - kinda my only choice as there are no mountains in the Netherlands. I'm doing a road trip with my GF (Vancouver and the Canadian Rockies) and I expect to be in Whistler around May 25th. That would be kinda at the start of my trip. Another option would be around June 8th, at the end of my trip (which has the advantage of me not ruining our road trip by breaking my leg or something).

I'd like to ride the bike park for a day, but I have no experience. So I've got a couple of questions, with which I was hoping you guys could help me:

- What's the best place for renting a bike, helmets, protector, etc.? What kinda costs should I expect for 1 day of riding?
- How can I find anyone who is willing to guide a fellow mountain biker though the bike park? I know there are beginner trails, but seeing as there are no mountains in the Netherlands, I'm afraid I'll be scared shittles standing at the top of a trail, all geared up, all by myself. Razz

Cheers! Beer

With what you seen like you are looking for book one of the guided programs, even with xc riding the park is no joke, and the cost of one of the programs is almost the same as renting a bike and buying a lift ticket, you get priority in the lift line, instruction on park riding, and the benefit of working with someone who knows the trails inside and out.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
daanwalet wrote:
Hi guys,

Cheers! Beer

Hers what your looking for, www.whistlerblackcomb.com/explore-the-resort/activities-and-events/whistler-mountain-bike-park/bike-school/adults-17-and-older/intro-to-park.aspx

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 13:04 Quote
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I'll go look for an intermediate class I guess then? The people in the video look like they've never been on a bike. As a Dutchie I was almost born on a bike. I do like the speed when riding down a hill, so that's what I'm looking for a bit, without dying preferably. Thanks! Looking forward to my visit.

One more question: how exhausting is riding DH? Is two hours comparable to two hours of XC, condition-wise? The program offers a two hour lift pass and I'm just afraid that won't be enough when I'm there and totally psyched.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
If you've not done it before downhill can be tiring. It uses different muscles and is a different form of aerobic/anaerobic.

You may be an Intermediate due to having previous bike experience plus Dutch riders tend to have pain tolerance. My suggestion is to ask for a specific instructor who is experienced and can work with you in your group. Kevin267 on pinkbike is someone you should request

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 15:40 Quote
Usually you can upgrade your pass from a 3-run (or 2 hour) pass to a full day and just pay the difference.

A quick call or email to the organizers can sort that out - and it buys you the flexibility to choose based on how you are feeling.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 16:00 Quote
daanwalet wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply guys! I'll go look for an intermediate class I guess then? The people in the video look like they've never been on a bike. As a Dutchie I was almost born on a bike. I do like the speed when riding down a hill, so that's what I'm looking for a bit, without dying preferably. Thanks! Looking forward to my visit.

One more question: how exhausting is riding DH? Is two hours comparable to two hours of XC, condition-wise? The program offers a two hour lift pass and I'm just afraid that won't be enough when I'm there and totally psyched.

you will blow thru two hours at WBP in the blink of an eye

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 17:39 Quote
mtbikeaddict wrote:
mtbikeaddict wrote:

i am not going, but https://www.pinkbike.com/news/whistler-announces-details-for-their-biggest-bike-sale-deals-on-wheels.html

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020484
Mobile Version of Website