Powered by Outside

Meta V4 Owners Club

PB Forum :: Commencal
Meta V4 Owners Club
Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 9:15 Quote
Meta AM V4 Swinley

I've bit of a problem, I took my Meta AM out today and didn't enjoy it. It felt like it was too small with me to far over the front (it's a medium and I'm 5'10") and too high at the front and I had no confidence in it, felt like the suspension wasn't supple enough (but I am using all the travel), feeling like I couldn't find grip or get it railed round berms :-(

I had not ridden it for a few months as been on my hard tail and most recently my downhill bike a Commencal Supreme FR (Large) with Boxxers, I did the same ride which is basically a red grade flat XC trail centre two weeks ago, it's undulating, I guess, (biggest DH only lasts 1 minute max) on the Supreme as a training ride and although damn hard work pedalling all the way (amazed I managed that) it was more fun than the meta, every berm was railed, grip seemed endless, suspension amazing, giving pop where I wanted it, soaking it up when I wanted it, pumping perfectly, I loved it.

The Supreme in the same place.
Swinley XC loop done on the DH bike - hard work

So any suggestions on what I can do with the meta setup wise - it's really weird how I felt it was too small today as I got the tape measure out and it's actually longer than the Supreme and identical to my hardtail.

Posted: Mar 12, 2016 at 11:14 Quote
Maybe speed up your rebound for more pop ! Or it's just a matter of riding the meta more !!
Or or send it of for a susp service , had mine 8 months and think it's dew one !!!

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 9:35 Quote
I'm also 5'10" and have a large, opposite to you I think I might suit a medium more but only on the tight steep stuff. All other times I absolutely love it. What you could do is alter your cockpit, stem, sweep of your bars and seat on the rails position. Also you could remove some steerer spacers. Sometimes takes some faffing around with this to get the sweet spot. This is the bother you get when you are in between sizes, it comes down to what you prefer, I've had a few medium and large bikes which I didn't get on with. You should try get a shot of a large and buy one if you prefer it from Commencal, replacing wouldn't cost too much as you would get good money for the medium on pink bike, currently none up for sale. Probably best to just ride the medium and get more familiar with it though.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 11:40 Quote
Yes it's a pain being between sizes, I can't work out why it feels small when my other bikes measure up so similar, I have the seat rails all the way back as far as they go and have dropped the stem down two of the standard supplied spacers. Not keen on increasing stem length I think this sort of bike needs the shortest stem possible. My Supreme is spot on and a L which makes me think Commencals are just on the small size all round.

I think I really need to get myself a ride of a large to see if it's worth a frame swap.

I've been reading about people adding spacers to the shock maybe I need to play about with that as well. I've done 500miles on the Meta so far although not ridden it that much recently.

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 12:12 Quote
Defo try a few spacers in the shock. I'm running three now with slightly lower pressure, super plush and uses all the travel. I tried 2 first, will maybe put in another at some point to compare.

I asked commencal about the spacers, this is their reply

A lot of people run the Monarch without any rings yes but to give you an example of what the guys here in the office do may help. Let's start with me - i'm a relatively light lady Wink who rides everything but I don't go for big drops or huge jumps. I don't have any rings but I probably should so perhaps i'll throw a couple in one day. The boys run anything from 2 to 6. 4 is probably the most common for a 'race' style set-up. One of the guys runs 6 because he likes more pump. It's not really recommended to go much more than this. As with all aspects of your set-up, it does come down to personal preference, riding style etc.

Hope this helps. There's an interesting audio article on Vital here from SRAM/RockShox which features some Monarch info. www.vitalmtb.com/photos/features/How-To-Get-The-Most-Out-Of-Your-RockShox-Suspension,9020/Slideshow,0/bturman,109

Posted: Mar 13, 2016 at 12:14 Quote
My rebound is slightly fast too, mid point and a few clicks fast. Again, personable preference in setup.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 19:41 Quote
Has anybody sprayed / seen a meta sprayed black? Im thinking about it as my 2015 Meta has alot of scrapes from uplifts etc, would also look sweet with the espresso coating on my forks

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 23:49 Quote
Roguee wrote:
Has anybody sprayed / seen a meta sprayed black? Im thinking about it as my 2015 Meta has alot of scrapes from uplifts etc, would also look sweet with the espresso coating on my forks
I wouldn't try to spray paint your frame as it would probably end up looking like crap. Instead, try wrapping it in vinyl wrap or car wrap. Vinyl comes in many different designs and colors and it also offers some protection against scratches and paint chips.

Here is an example of my buddy's Trek Remedy 9 vinyl wrapped:
Vinyl wrapped remedy 9.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 5:32 Quote
saxman2324 wrote:
Roguee wrote:
I wouldn't try to spray paint your frame as it would probably end up looking like crap. Instead, try wrapping it in vinyl wrap or car wrap. Vinyl comes in many different designs and colors and it also offers some protection against scratches and paint chips.

Here is an example of my buddy's Trek Remedy 9 vinyl wrapped:
Vinyl wrapped remedy 9.
I've been looking into this too, but doesn't it add a ton of weight?

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 7:42 Quote
I wouldnt do it myself, id get it professionally done. I thought wrapping looks crap close up? Also need to be extremely carefull washing that it doesnt peel off

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 13:15 Quote
I've been looking into this too, but doesn't it add a ton of weight?[/Quote]
No, it really doesn't. It's pretty light imo.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 22:49 Quote
What's the factory tune for monarch rt and monarch plus?

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 0:34 Quote
[Quote="ste1284"]Hi all,
Is anyone using a bottle cage on a Commencal Meta V4? Looking at getting one, but have no clue what to go for! Would a side loading cage be better suited or can you get away with a normal cage?
Any advice or suggestions would be great!
Cheers
Steve[/Quote
Fabric's new bottle works mint. Keeps with the clean lines when on and off the bike

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 7:01 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:
r0bb wrote:
hey Siliker,
I am gonna run the Meta V4 with a Vorsprung Corset Air Sleeve equipped Float X, which should work similiar to the EVOL air can. this should work great and because of the progressive to linear/disgressive leverage rate it should be super according to Steve from Vorsprung " Corset provides distinct improvements in bump absorption, support and liveliness. This combination, in my opinion, allows for the the highest performance currently available from an air shock and linkage curve, and is particularly good with the Corset."

Really excited to finally try the new frame this weekend tomorrow is my last exam *sigh*.

Sweet man thats why I was thinking the evol / corset would be good for the frame , let me know how it works for you

Sorry for the late reply , the float x with the corset works awesome for me!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016910
Mobile Version of Website