Powered by Outside

Sam Hills future...

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sam Hills future...
O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 17:48 Quote
I know what you are saying, and I think I was going fast, definitely much faster than on my hardtail due to geometry diffrences mostly though. I only cycled through about 1 inch of suspension, even on drops and stuff WITH correct sag.

Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 17:54 Quote
nishnash wrote:
I know what you are saying, and I think I was going fast, definitely much faster than on my hardtail due to geometry diffrences mostly though. I only cycled through about 1 inch of suspension, even on drops and stuff WITH correct sag.

Not trying to be rude, but, how do you know how much travel you used?

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
The dirt marks, and they set up an o-ring on the piston.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:01 Quote
metalforever wrote:
nishnash wrote:

How do you know How much travel you used?

Metal's got a point, especially for the back end, which is the one Trek designed.

If you don't have any experience on long-travel in general, and DH rigs in particular, then you won't really be able to know what to look for, how the performance is actually doing, and be able compare it to anything else.

I'm looking for Hill to rip it up again this year, and although he won't win Worlds on the crappy Canberra track, I tip him for the Overall this year.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:04 Quote
nishnash wrote:

Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
nishnash wrote:
nishnash wrote:

The shock compressed one inch, or are you talking about how far the rear wheel traveled?

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
Rear wheel travel, stroke of shock compressed (o-ring) x the average leverage ratio, we guessed it at a little less of .5 inches of shock stroke compressed, at about 2.8, which is less than 1.4inches

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:29 Quote
With a 88's leverage ratio, the first inch on the shock stroke would likely be around 3.5" of travel. And if it was set up with the right sag, then something else was very very wrong with it.

edit: then it WAS NOT set up with proper sag, or anything else close to it. On an 8" bike there should be at least 2 inches of say anyways.

O+
Posted: Oct 19, 2008 at 18:30 Quote
Probs, note that I did this math with a tech straight from trek at a demo booth in whistler.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 16:02 Quote
nishnash wrote:
Rear wheel travel, stroke of shock compressed (o-ring) x the average leverage ratio, we guessed it at a little less of .5 inches of shock stroke compressed, at about 2.8, which is less than 1.4inches
obvioulsy it was not set up right

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
That was on top of about 2 inches sag, so....

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 16:09 Quote
nishnash wrote:
it is simply not possible sorry

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 16:13 Quote
poozank wrote:
nishnash wrote:
it is simply not possible sorry

+1

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 16:14 Quote
2" of sag on that bike is only 20% anyway. Not enough.

Posted: Oct 21, 2008 at 16:16 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
2" of sag on that bike is only 20% anyway. Not enough.
i have like 20 percent on my 7 it rides very well and always has tons of traction even if he only ran 20 it would still be fine

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010404
Mobile Version of Website