Powered by Outside

SCOUT's fall in!

PB Forum :: Transition
SCOUT's fall in!
Posted: May 18, 2017 at 3:39 Quote
Here's my scout,

photo

Medium frame,
785mm / 15mm rise bar with short stem (40/50mm I think)
26" carbon superstar wheels,
160mm Pikes (26" version),
KS dropper,
Mixture of XTR, XT, and SRAM other bits.

It rides lovely. Pedals and climbs like a hardtail without the backache, corners like a chased rabbit, and descends like it's got twice the travel. I really like it. My normal rides ahave got much harder as I'm popping and jumping off everything in sight. Love it.

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 8:53 Quote
In the pines, in the pines where the sun don't ever shine. My first full suspension bike, so. much. fun.

photo

Posted: Jun 1, 2017 at 10:13 Quote
MuddyLip wrote:
In the pines, in the pines where the sun don't ever shine. My first full suspension bike, so. much. fun.

photo

awesome, enjoy it Big Grin

O+
Posted: Jun 22, 2017 at 21:01 Quote
The Scout really is the perfect choice for an all-mountain bike. It does it all.

MuddyLip wrote:
photo

Posted: Jun 23, 2017 at 15:29 Quote
26", nice!! wonder how 26+ would work with the Scout?
fielonator wrote:
Here's my scout,

photo

Medium frame,
785mm / 15mm rise bar with short stem (40/50mm I think)
26" carbon superstar wheels,
160mm Pikes (26" version),
KS dropper,
Mixture of XTR, XT, and SRAM other bits.

It rides lovely. Pedals and climbs like a hardtail without the backache, corners like a chased rabbit, and descends like it's got twice the travel. I really like it. My normal rides ahave got much harder as I'm popping and jumping off everything in sight. Love it.

Posted: Jul 6, 2017 at 5:36 Quote
Here my fireball

Original Kit 4 , nothing special but I will upgrade it "at a time"
Any advice for a new Fork ? The sektor 32mm is a bit weak and flexible for my trails.
Pike 150mm or 160mm
Yari 150mm or 160mm
Marzocchi 350 NCR 160mm
Suntour Auron or Aion ?
Fox 34 ?

Here my setup:

Fork: Sektor 32mm/140mm
Shock: Monarch RT
Brakes: Shimano Deore M615
Chain Ring: Race face 32T
Cassette: Sram PG1020 (11-36) + 42 (so cut off 15)
Crank: Sram GX 10sp Type 2.1
Tyres: Maxxis Minion
Seatpost: KS eTen Integra 100mm

May 2016
June 2016
June 2016

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 6:43 Quote
anyone running 160mm on the front of the scout? I've got an airshaft sitting about but didn't know if it'd be too much for the frame to handle

Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 6:52 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/14912489/

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2017 at 7:03 Quote
It's not too much for the frame but it seriously affects the handling in my opinion. 150 is a nice middle ground.

@theoroots I would go with the Pike or the Fox 34 at 150.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2017 at 12:21 Quote
160mm is too much. I did it when I first got mine and it was terrible. 150mm max.

Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 1:06 Quote
Carbon and Alloy Scout owners.

What's the cable routing like? I run my brakes 'moto' - rear brake left, front brake right. Looking at the pictures of the Carbon Scout, it looks like there's only 1 cable routing hole on the right side of the frame for the dropper.

UK/Aus/NZ riders, how have you run your cables? With the rear brake line twisted into the left side of the frame?

Cheers

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2017 at 15:20 Quote
oldmanfalling wrote:
Carbon and Alloy Scout owners.

What's the cable routing like? I run my brakes 'moto' - rear brake left, front brake right. Looking at the pictures of the Carbon Scout, it looks like there's only 1 cable routing hole on the right side of the frame for the dropper.

UK/Aus/NZ riders, how have you run your cables? With the rear brake line twisted into the left side of the frame?

Cheers

Aussie rider here running brakes the correct (moto) way.

Alloy scout and Patrol are no problem - just run them into the hole opposite. Built up a mate's carbon Patrol last week and the brake hose port is on the left side of the frame so just ran it into that hole with enough slack. It doesn't look weird or anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're going 2018 they've apparently moved to external brake hose routing (yay!) so it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Posted: Jul 30, 2017 at 12:19 Quote
blackbetty wrote:
anyone running 160mm on the front of the scout? I've got an airshaft sitting about but didn't know if it'd be too much for the frame to handle

I tried 150mm and 160mm back and forth. 160 is currently my preferred choice in view of pedal clearance. Steering and handling is fine for me. Large frame.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 11:25 Quote
All the parts are on the way to get this built for my sister... don't know whose more excited.

Nik s dream build all parts are on the way Watch this space.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 12:37 Quote
Can anyone tell me how many links the chain should have on a medium scout with 11 speed x01 and 32 tooth front ring.
I broke my chain last week and at the same time broke my ribs!!
Surprisingly I forgot to look for the old chain !

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017221
Mobile Version of Website