Powered by Outside

wat is the best drink to get you pumped before riding

PB Forum :: Downhill
wat is the best drink to get you pumped before riding
Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 18:41 Quote
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:
i just use those powerbar energy bars for me, they make me less hungry and give me energy, that with a combination with Gatorade is the best. works kick @ss for me.

yearly i do a 50 km bike ride, i take 2-3 powerbars, my bike, my helmet and my camelback. i stuff the powerbars in my camelback and ride. about every 10km there is a station for fruit and gatorade, i just eat the powerbars for energy and drink the gatorade if i'm thirsty.
works flawless.

You're gonna get yourself dehydrated some day. You're consuming too many electrolytes. If you're eating enough then just drink water.

i'm actually quite hydrated. if i just filled that thing full of water id be definatly dehydrated, plus Gatorade tastes good.
i have a back up waterbottle that i occasionally drink.

Do you know the difference between dehydration and hyponatremic?

Look man I'm a Wilderness EMT-B. I have dealt with dozens of people that made the same mistake you're making. They didn't have fun.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 18:44 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

You're gonna get yourself dehydrated some day. You're consuming too many electrolytes. If you're eating enough then just drink water.

i'm actually quite hydrated. if i just filled that thing full of water id be definatly dehydrated, plus Gatorade tastes good.

Look man I'm a Wilderness EMT-B. I have dealt with dozens of people that made the same mistake you're making. They didn't have fun.

Well when something goes wrong and i end up in the hospital, i'll let you know. til then i'll keep doin it.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 18:53 Quote
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:

Well when something goes wrong and i end up in the hospital, i'll let you know. til then i'll keep doin it.

More power to you. Just so you know. You are gradually dehydrating yourself by overloading your system with electrolytes. You won't have to worry about cramps as hyponatremia is the least of your worries. What you do have to look forward to are any of about a dozen irregular heart rhythms, liver failure, kidney failure, strokes, and dozens of other fun times.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 18:58 Quote
i drink like 2 monsters before i roll but its like a monster piss later

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:03 Quote
Declining possibly life saving advice. Sweet.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:
i just use those powerbar energy bars for me, they make me less hungry and give me energy, that with a combination with Gatorade is the best. works kick @ss for me.

yearly i do a 50 km bike ride, i take 2-3 powerbars, my bike, my helmet and my camelback. i stuff the powerbars in my camelback and ride. about every 10km there is a station for fruit and gatorade, i just eat the powerbars for energy and drink the gatorade if i'm thirsty.
works flawless.

if he replaced the gatorade with water he would be fine though...right?

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:10 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
if he replaced the gatorade with water he would be fine though...

That's the point. People load up on liquids with a high concentration of electrolytes all the time. Common mistake. What they don't realize is that electrolyte are for hyponatremia which is, in short, a deficiency of salts. They don't understand how this is any different from dehydration. They are, in fact, the exact opposite effect. These people are actually causing themselves to be dehydrated. In life most people figure out that extremes are not good. It's a careful balance that keeps us going.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:
if he replaced the gatorade with water he would be fine though...

That's the point. People load up on liquids with a high concentration of electrolytes all the time. Common mistake. What they don't realize is that electrolyte are for hyponatremia which is, in short, a deficiency of salts. They don't understand how this is any different from dehydration. They are, in fact, the exact opposite effect. These people are actually causing themselves to be dehydrated. In life most people figure out that extremes are not good. It's a careful balance that keeps us going.

huh.... well i have a cliff bar and about 400-500 mL of water before i go riding...

my moms doctor once prescribed her gatorade. i think it was for the thing your talking about, she needed the electrolytes.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
huh.... well i have a cliff bar and about 400-500 mL of water before i go riding...

my moms doctor once prescribed her gatorade. i think it was for the thing your talking about, she needed the electrolytes.

You're fine. Just eat enough and drink plenty of water and you won't have a problem. FYI: The army field manual actually recommends that you mix the Gatorade packets they have at half strength for exactly this reason.

Was your mom cramping badly and/or getting dizzy during physical activity?

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:18 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:

You're fine. Just eat enough and drink plenty of water and you won't have a problem. FYI: The army field manual actually recommends that you mix the Gatorade packets they have at half strength for exactly this reason.

yeah she was getting dizzy.

btw, how the hell do you know almost EVERYTHING!

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:21 Quote
a redbull 1/2 a redbull can of vodka and a monster sends you to the moon

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:21 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:

Ding ding ding. Your mother suffers from hyponatremia. Everyone does. She is just extra sensitive to low electrolytes for reasons too complex to get into here.

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

Ding ding ding. Your mother suffers from hyponatremia. Everyone does. She is just extra sensitive to low electrolytes for reasons too complex to get into here.
stfu you nerd

Posted: Apr 16, 2008 at 19:22 Quote
DavidMakalaster wrote:
SAVAGE-RIDER wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:

More power to you. Just so you know. You are gradually dehydrating yourself by overloading your system with electrolytes. You won't have to worry about cramps as hyponatremia is the least of your worries. What you do have to look forward to are any of about a dozen irregular heart rhythms, liver failure, kidney failure, strokes, and dozens of other fun times.

I'm only 16...i think i'll be here for a little bit longer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010230
Mobile Version of Website