Powered by Outside

The Whistler Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
The Whistler Thread
Posted: Apr 21, 2024 at 14:44 Quote
I was planning to go to Whistler mid- late July to ride there and Squamish. Just realized crankworks is then so I’m thinking maybe after it’s over would be better since I’m not into crowds.
Is Whistler/squamish still the best bet for blue/black trails in early August?
Never been riding in BC and I’m interested in riding park and regular trails.
Also if anyone can recommend a good resort for families that has bike storage and a pool….

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2024 at 16:36 Quote
Silverstar and SunPeaks are both great bike parks and very family friendly.

Posted: Apr 21, 2024 at 16:40 Quote
How would you compare them to Whistler/squamish in terms of riding and also for a family vacation?
I’m the one into riding my kids and my wife are more into hanging at the pool and general vacation stuff.

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2024 at 17:47 Quote
Nothing really compares to Whistler and Squamish. Whistler is also very vacationy with resorts and pools and restaurants.

Sun peaks has beautiful jump trails and really gnarly tech trails.

Silver star is much more mellow. Not that it doesn’t offer fun riding for all levels.

Neither have much of a night life and are pretty quiet. The riding outside the park at both is a bit further but offer phenomenal trail systems within half an hour to an hour.

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 7:59 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
How would you compare them to Whistler/squamish in terms of riding and also for a family vacation?
I’m the one into riding my kids and my wife are more into hanging at the pool and general vacation stuff.

Very different riding styles at Sun Peaks/Silverstar compared to Whistler/Squamish but still so much fun. You really can't go wrong at any resort here in BC, they're all fun and have different things to offer. For families there will be less to do than at Whistler, but still plenty of things (and very likely a bit cheaper). Lots of hiking trails, other activities, and I'm sure most of the hotels there have pools/hot tubs, etc. The interior mountains will be cheaper for everything (lift passes, hotels, all that good stuff).

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 9:10 Quote
Does anyone know the price of a season's pass at whistler vs silverstar?

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 9:16 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
Does anyone know the price of a season's pass at whistler vs silverstar?

I bet a quick google will find that for you.

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 9:45 Quote
sure enough, he's right!

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 9:52 Quote
haji1974 wrote:

More people go to whistler for things other than biking, so it would be good for a fam vacation. So much to do in the summer!

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 11:54 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
sure enough, he's right!

Haaahahaaaa….

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 12:39 Quote
I usually ask my neighbor cause he's pretty much a real male siri, but he didn't know

Posted: Apr 22, 2024 at 15:59 Quote
ducteddy wrote:
Hello everyone,

I will be going on a road trip in the Canadian Rockies at the end of May, and I am planning to spend a full day mountain biking (whether eMTB or not) during my drive from Calgary to Vancouver. I would like to know which place between Kamloops, Whistler, and Squamish you recommend for the best trails that are fun to ride (intermediate level) and have beautiful scenery/views.

Coming from Europe, I have always dreamed of biking in British Columbia, so I really want to make the most out of my day in the best possible place!

Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers

How much time do you have? Be aware that at end of May the lower elevation trails in the Calgary area will be snow free but nothing higher elevation with the views you want will be clear of snow. Tbh starting from Calgary in late May limits your trail choices whether for biking or hiking

Posted: Apr 23, 2024 at 5:58 Quote
Thanks for all the expert advice.
Wish I had time to see more but we only have a couple weeks so Whistler and Squamish sounds like the place.
Maybe of we come up the again we’ll go more into BC.

Posted: Apr 23, 2024 at 7:38 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
Thanks for all the expert advice.
Wish I had time to see more but we only have a couple weeks so Whistler and Squamish sounds like the place.
Maybe of we come up the again we’ll go more into BC.

Good call Haji. There are over 900 trails in the North Shore, over 800 in Squamish and over 900 in Whistler. You'll find yourself quite busy.

Imo Whistler is the best for families particularly because it's so walkable and there's so much non-biking things for kids. As for places, look at the bottom of Blackcomb. I can't put the Google Maps in but lots of places have pools and you can price-shop. That's all 5 minutes walk to village and quieter than Village.

Eg Aspens

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DQB3GUGgbfHjhF9AA

Posted: Apr 24, 2024 at 11:01 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
I usually ask my neighbor cause he's pretty much a real male siri, but he didn't know
It’s easier that way!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023798
Mobile Version of Website