Official Scottish Biking Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
Official Scottish Biking Thread
Posted: Sep 28, 2022 at 12:22 Quote
rhysgibbs1 wrote:
I was at Cambu lately and it got me wondering if anybody knows any dirt jump spots in scotland that are of a decent size, looking to get into that side of things a bit more

There's a pretty wicked spot in Braefoot bay, which has a mix of enduro/DH trails, dirt jumps (as in, straight up and down doubles you'd want to ride on a hardtail) and also some big booters more suited to enduro and DH bikes, like the kinda stuff you'd see in Whistler and Kamloops tup

Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 3:38 Quote
sam-stanfield wrote:
rhysgibbs1 wrote:
I was at Cambu lately and it got me wondering if anybody knows any dirt jump spots in scotland that are of a decent size, looking to get into that side of things a bit more

There's a pretty wicked spot in Braefoot bay, which has a mix of enduro/DH trails, dirt jumps (as in, straight up and down doubles you'd want to ride on a hardtail) and also some big booters more suited to enduro and DH bikes, like the kinda stuff you'd see in Whistler and Kamloops tup

thanks so much it looks sick there ill definitely check it out

Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 0:30 Quote
Hi! Long shot here:
This Sunday (oct 15th) I have a day to spare in Inverness and plan to ride a Mtb somewhere. Thinking about Laggan Wolftrax but open for suggestions. Does anyone have tips? And what is the best way to get there from Inverness? Any chance someone is driving from Inverness to Laggan on Sunday?

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 0:47 Quote
Daankemme wrote:
Hi! Long shot here:
This Sunday (oct 15th) I have a day to spare in Inverness and plan to ride a Mtb somewhere. Thinking about Laggan Wolftrax but open for suggestions. Does anyone have tips? And what is the best way to get there from Inverness? Any chance someone is driving from Inverness to Laggan on Sunday?

Cheers!

Hey man, your long shot will be answered.

Laggan is a fantastic spot, but the only way to get there would be by car. There's lots of 'enduro' and 'downhill' style trails just outside Aviemore too at a place called High Burnside https://www.trailforks.com/region/high-burnside/. You could definitely get the train to aviemore, so that might be the best option if you don't have a car.

Posted: Oct 12, 2023 at 2:46 Quote
Thank you very much! I will consider that place too and start looking into cars. High Burnside and Glenlivet were indeed on the list as well. Too many options for 1 day... Hopefully the trails aren't too soggy either.

Posted: Oct 13, 2023 at 3:11 Quote
Daankemme wrote:
Thank you very much! I will consider that place too and start looking into cars. High Burnside and Glenlivet were indeed on the list as well. Too many options for 1 day... Hopefully the trails aren't too soggy either.

High Burnside is great!

Posted: Dec 18, 2023 at 7:49 Quote
Anyone here know if it's possible to take bikes on the Fort Bill gondola during the ski season?

Heading up in January and wondering if it's worth taking the bike in case there isn't much snow.

Posted: Dec 18, 2023 at 13:00 Quote
MuleMad wrote:
Anyone here know if it's possible to take bikes on the Fort Bill gondola during the ski season?

Heading up in January and wondering if it's worth taking the bike in case there isn't much snow.

I once found myself riding bikes up there in February a few years ago. Ya just never know, keep an eye on socials or get in touch with them....ya might get lucky.

Posted: Dec 22, 2023 at 5:58 Quote
Hello everyone,

I will be camping in the Aberfoyle area of Scotland for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of July and beginning of August next summer. Do you have any tips for both technical trails and trails that are interesting for advanced children?

Posted: Dec 22, 2023 at 15:39 Quote
delphi150780 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I will be camping in the Aberfoyle area of Scotland for 2 1/2 weeks at the end of July and beginning of August next summer. Do you have any tips for both technical trails and trails that are interesting for advanced children?

Hopefully you use the Trailforks app and assuming you have a vehicle you will want to head to...

Aberfoyle itself has some decent trails, not been on the MTB for a while and remember it being hectic
(It is gravel bike heaven there, I can provide the worlds best gravel bike route if you want it)

The Tweed Valley - Glentress (great for kids) Innerleithen proper trail centres, the Golfie (called Caberston on TF) potentially the best trails in the country per square mile. Yair is a cool area.

Dunkeld - Splits into 4 sections on the Dunkeld and Birnam side. Atholl Hill being the best but I would recommend riding the Rake and Ruin trail first.

Ballater - Quality over quantity area - Heart Break Ridge, Mastermind.

Aviemore - High Burnside trails, Lairig Ghru Trail (short out and back but really cool)

Laggan Wolftrax - Would be cool for kids, the other side of the main road is "the brown side" which is much more naturally and techy.

Glencoe Village trails (not the ski hill) - Stunning area, great trails.

Fort William Nevis Range - speaks for itself.

Big mountain stuff - Ben Arthur (The Cobbler) Ben Lomond (only very very early in the morning/later in the evening, very busy) Beinn A' Bhuird (Big day out)

Special mention for the small areas of Ballo and Pitmedden. Some lovely, short, local built trails.

Posted: Dec 24, 2023 at 3:51 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
delphi150780 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hopefully you use the Trailforks app and assuming you have a vehicle you will want to head to...

Aberfoyle itself has some decent trails, not been on the MTB for a while and remember it being hectic
(It is gravel bike heaven there, I can provide the worlds best gravel bike route if you want it)

The Tweed Valley - Glentress (great for kids) Innerleithen proper trail centres, the Golfie (called Caberston on TF) potentially the best trails in the country per square mile. Yair is a cool area.

Dunkeld - Splits into 4 sections on the Dunkeld and Birnam side. Atholl Hill being the best but I would recommend riding the Rake and Ruin trail first.

Ballater - Quality over quantity area - Heart Break Ridge, Mastermind.

Aviemore - High Burnside trails, Lairig Ghru Trail (short out and back but really cool)

Laggan Wolftrax - Would be cool for kids, the other side of the main road is "the brown side" which is much more naturally and techy.

Glencoe Village trails (not the ski hill) - Stunning area, great trails.

Fort William Nevis Range - speaks for itself.

Big mountain stuff - Ben Arthur (The Cobbler) Ben Lomond (only very very early in the morning/later in the evening, very busy) Beinn A' Bhuird (Big day out)

Special mention for the small areas of Ballo and Pitmedden. Some lovely, short, local built trails.

To Add to this info:

Aberfoyle has more than just gravel paths now, It has some steep tec trails through the trees, Tight switchbacks.

If you are going to Ballater you may as well head little further to Tarland,They have just received a refresh of trails added of varying ability

Aberfeldy has alot of good trails.

Posted: Dec 26, 2023 at 3:24 Quote
Thanx for all your information, I will sort this out in the next days.

Tight switchbacks sounds good... Next to my hometown is the Ahr valley, probably known through the floods in July 2021. It's known for step rocky trails with a lot of switchbacks.

Posted: Dec 28, 2023 at 7:46 Quote
delphi150780 wrote:
Thanx for all your information, I will sort this out in the next days.

Tight switchbacks sounds good... Next to my hometown is the Ahr valley, probably known through the floods in July 2021. It's known for step rocky trails with a lot of switchbacks.

Look up Comrie Croft as well, not to far from Aberfoyle.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017360
Mobile Version of Website