Powered by Outside

Evil Owners Club

PB Forum :: Evil
Evil Owners Club
O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2017 at 11:37 Quote
schuster19 wrote:
fredro wrote:
You'd rather sacrifice your frame, than switch tires?!?

....makes sense.

Dude switch tires asap.
I know I sound insane "sacrificing" my frame but having that much grip becomes addicting. I have seriously never felt anything near as much grip and as predictable as the trsr tires. the rubbing is a result of my wheels being a little too flexy as well. If you have the clearance for them they are the greatest tires out there by far.

Ultra grip is addicting when trail conditions call for it, but I've found tires with predictable give have become my go to last few years. Other than wet slippery conditions I've departed from riding super tacky tires for tires that give to a point. If a tire is too grippy it can be a pain to drift a turn or scrub a technical section and the worst part of a tire with too much grip, when your riding tubeless, the dreaded burping or worst rolling the tire off the rim. Every extreem has it's draw backs.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 15:02 Quote
I'm running 2.5" Minion DHFs on sram rail wheels, front and rear on my medium Wreckoning. No frame rubbing.

Posted: Aug 2, 2017 at 15:09 Quote
turbo8 wrote:
I'm running 2.5" Minion DHFs on sram rail wheels, front and rear on my medium Wreckoning. No frame rubbing.

Noice! I'm using the DHF DH 2.5" on the front of my Following and I've been loving it. I'd love to have it on my rear as well but I chickened out and went with a 2.4" DHR.

Paid for a NOBL/OYNX rear hub today. Going to be lacing up my NOBL hubs to a pair of NOBL TR36 to be used on my Following and swap out my X01 11 speed for X01 Eagle 12 speed from another bike of mine.

Posted: Aug 4, 2017 at 20:12 Quote
Anyone riding a Wreckoning equiped with a Vivid Air? If so, how many volume reducers are you using? Oh, and your rider weight might be helpful too. I'm blowing through 90% of the travel on the smallest of hits.

Posted: Aug 6, 2017 at 22:25 Quote
Hey guys, I'm really considering going out and blowing all my money on an insurgent frame and building it up. I just sold a few other bikes so I could buy a super fun 160mm (or thereabouts) and was wondering your guys thought about the insurgent

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 0:50 Quote
Snake40 wrote:
Hey guys, I'm really considering going out and blowing all my money on an insurgent frame and building it up. I just sold a few other bikes so I could buy a super fun 160mm (or thereabouts) and was wondering your guys thought about the insurgent
nomad 4, insurgent, patrol, nomad 3, the new tracer t275, reign, transition scout. All of these are going to be super fun bikes made for what you seem to want to do. each one has its pros and cons. buying new bikes is usually awesome, but picking with todays bikes seems to be really difficult.

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 16:29 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
Snake40 wrote:
nomad 4, insurgent, patrol, nomad 3, the new tracer t275, reign, transition scout. All of these are going to be super fun bikes made for what you seem to want to do. each one has its pros and cons. buying new bikes is usually awesome, but picking with todays bikes seems to be really difficult.
I've ridden a tracer a fair bit and loved it. I'm tossing up between a nomad 3, tracer and insurgent so if anyone has any feedback on them that'd be great

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 17:20 Quote
Snake40 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
Snake40 wrote:
I've ridden a tracer a fair bit and loved it. I'm tossing up between a nomad 3, tracer and insurgent so if anyone has any feedback on them that'd be great

I rode a Nomad 3 for 1 session. It is a really nice bike and SC's hardware quality is fantastic compared to many other brands (imo). The Nomad was always a blast at descending, jumping, rolling through big chunky rocks/roots, and ripping fast turns. I sold it because it was a little too sluggish for me at medium to slower speeds and the front end (160mm fork) liked to flop around during moderate to steep climbs. But yea, I’d recommend one to someone looking to smash trails, but if they were in the SC All-Mnt market, I’d also tell them to look at a Bronson with a 160mm fork. Hope this was helpful.

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 19:54 Quote
funkyfunpuff wrote:
Anyone riding a Wreckoning equiped with a Vivid Air? If so, how many volume reducers are you using? Oh, and your rider weight might be helpful too. I'm blowing through 90% of the travel on the smallest of hits.

I have a vivid air on mine. I'm around 190# riding weight. The shock has whatever it came with from the factory.
No problem with blowing through travel.
What percent sag are you running? What are your shock settings?

Posted: Aug 7, 2017 at 22:22 Quote
turbo8 wrote:
funkyfunpuff wrote:

I have a vivid air on mine. I'm around 190# riding weight. The shock has whatever it came with from the factory.
No problem with blowing through travel.
What percent sag are you running? What are your shock settings?

I'm a little under 200lbs with backpack and water and I've tired both 30% and 25% sag. I don't have my shock-click setting handy, but there's no external high-speed compression settings on the shock, so I will probably start with 4 rings, then 8 as a test. How much air-pressure are you running? My buddy needed 7 rings on his Insurgent with the same shock type. I'm sure the leverage ratios are different on the two bikes, but i was shocked (pun) how many rings he preferred/needed.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 13:27 Quote
Anyone know what's going on with Evil in the UK (and Europe), they are selling direct to consumers and undercutting shop stock (3k euros vs shops at £3200? WTF? Confused?

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
Travel66 wrote:
Anyone know what's going on with Evil in the UK (and Europe), they are selling direct to consumers and undercutting shop stock (3k euros vs shops at £3200? WTF? Confused?
Probably blowing out older inventory.

Posted: Aug 9, 2017 at 1:47 Quote
I would agree and I wouldn't be surprised if you see LBS prices dropping as well

jrocksdh wrote:
Travel66 wrote:
Probably blowing out older inventory.

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 8:08 Quote
With frame prices where they are I'm looking at buying a L (5'10" with 33-1/2" inseam) FOLLOWING and building it up myself, through discounts, rebates and everything else I've gotten it to a pretty reasonable price. I've never done a full build myself before so some help would be appreciated. This is what I've come up with does anyone see any issues, or something I've missed?

Frame: Evil Following - L
Fork: Rockshox RCT3 Pike debonair with boost - 140mm 51mm offset
(I know this isn't standard sizing but after looking into it it seems a lot of people like it)
Wheels: Stan's Flow S1 15x110 front, 12x142 rear, with stan's valve stems
Tires: Maxxis DHF 29x2.5 front, Ardent 29x2.4 rear
Brakes: Shimano XT BL-M8000 front and rear with XT SM-RT86 180mm rotors
Handlebar: Deity Dirty 30
Stem: Deity copperhead 35mm (going smaller as I'm getting a larger frame)
Seatpost: Rockskox Reverb Stealth 30.9x440mm with 150mm travel
Groupset: Sram GX Eagle to include cassette, rear derailleur, cranks, shifter, and chain
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP BB92
Saddle: Still haven't decided
Pedals: my old ones
Other: cables, skewers, lube, blah blah blah

Posted: Aug 10, 2017 at 11:51 Quote
SchmutzJT wrote:
With frame prices where they are I'm looking at buying a L (5'10" with 33-1/2" inseam) FOLLOWING and building it up myself, through discounts, rebates and everything else I've gotten it to a pretty reasonable price. I've never done a full build myself before so some help would be appreciated. This is what I've come up with does anyone see any issues, or something I've missed?

Frame: Evil Following - L
Fork: Rockshox RCT3 Pike debonair with boost - 140mm 51mm offset
(I know this isn't standard sizing but after looking into it it seems a lot of people like it)
Wheels: Stan's Flow S1 15x110 front, 12x142 rear, with stan's valve stems
Tires: Maxxis DHF 29x2.5 front, Ardent 29x2.4 rear
Brakes: Shimano XT BL-M8000 front and rear with XT SM-RT86 180mm rotors
Handlebar: Deity Dirty 30
Stem: Deity copperhead 35mm (going smaller as I'm getting a larger frame)
Seatpost: Rockskox Reverb Stealth 30.9x440mm with 150mm travel
Groupset: Sram GX Eagle to include cassette, rear derailleur, cranks, shifter, and chain
Bottom Bracket: Sram GXP BB92
Saddle: Still haven't decided
Pedals: my old ones
Other: cables, skewers, lube, blah blah blah

Maybe one thing i'd consider is trying chromag stuff instead of deity. They
both create some great stuff, and the customer service is great on both
companies in the unlikely chance you'll actually be able to break something,
but from my point chromag just has something that makes it look awesome
compared to any other bike and bike parts company. They also don't
make the dirty 30 bars anymore fyi.

Considering you're looking at bars with 25mm rise, Id take a look at the OSX, OSX 35, or BZA 35 if you want carbon.
for a stem Ranger v2, HIFI, HIFI 35, and BZA 35.
And for a seat, Lynx DT has always been a personal Fav.

Just FYI all the bars and stems that have the number 35 next to them are because of bar diameter. It's not rise or length.

but after reading all of this, this is just a personal opinion, and you're still on the internet, so for all you know, I could be someone that never even ridden a bike.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016398
Mobile Version of Website