Powered by Outside

Giant Trance 27.5

PB Forum :: Giant
Giant Trance 27.5
Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 4:43 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Chain retention is a concern for me because i'll be doing a bit of gravity with my bike. I doubt it'll survive without some sort of guide.

I'm running a 32t NW chainring and haven't dropped my chain yet. I also ride DH frequently.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 5:29 Quote
gtrance13 wrote:
Robino113 wrote:
gtrance13 wrote:

I would read back to pages about 1-9, there is some good info there, and no i would only put a maximum of a 2.25" stroke shock

Thanks. Any shocks you can suggest with a maximum stroke of 2.25" that are better than the fox float evolution?

I would say rockshox monarch or fox float x, the cane creek db inline would be my preference but I'm not sure if it fits with a 2.25" stroke

Go for the Monarch plus debonair stay away from the DB inline if you don't want the frequent service costs

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 5:36 Quote
Tkamm6 wrote:
Just got the new Trance 2 and am lovin it so far, other than the fork (which is the biggest downfall). What would you recommend my first few upgrades should be? I'm thinking dropper and 1x first, what do you guys think. Has anybody swapped the wheels?
Wheels is the best upgrade, always go for the lightest you can afford that will hold up to the abuse you will be giving them and try to stay with 21mm internal with or more

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 5:38 Quote
feville wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:
Chain retention is a concern for me because i'll be doing a bit of gravity with my bike. I doubt it'll survive without some sort of guide.

I'm running a 32t NW chainring and haven't dropped my chain yet. I also ride DH frequently.

Me too, not dropped a chain yet, but I don't race so not too bothered about the odd drop

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:12 Quote
winston1192 wrote:
Tkamm6 wrote:
Just got the new Trance 2 and am lovin it so far, other than the fork (which is the biggest downfall). What would you recommend my first few upgrades should be? I'm thinking dropper and 1x first, what do you guys think. Has anybody swapped the wheels?
Wheels is the best upgrade, always go for the lightest you can afford that will hold up to the abuse you will be giving them and try to stay with 21mm internal with or more

photo

Wheels do make a big difference. Last year I ran Giant's own P-TRX1's and they were very good. Nothing wrong with them at all, but I did find them a little narrow at just 21mm internal width. This season I'm trying out Spank's Oozy's with a ID of 24mm. Doesn't sound like much of a difference but already my tires measure to be wider than before. Both wheels come in a almost the same weight for being completely aluminum. I do prefer the sound of these compared to the almost silent action of the Giant's.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:25 Quote
WonderAnt10 wrote:
winston1192 wrote:
Tkamm6 wrote:

photo

Wheels do make a big difference. Last year I ran Giant's own P-TRX1's and they were very good. Nothing wrong with them at all, but I did find them a little narrow at just 21mm internal width. This season I'm trying out Spank's Oozy's with a ID of 24mm. Doesn't sound like much of a difference but already my tires measure to be wider than before. Both wheels come in a almost the same weight for being completely aluminum. I do prefer the sound of these compared to the almost silent action of the Giant's.

Yes those giant wheels are good Dt Swiss I believe. I have easton vice xlt 's which I got dirt cheap so far there holding up to the British winter weather and there nice and light and ust tubeless only 21mm internal but seem fine with my mountain king 2.4s, and after seeing a lot of the enduro boys running 19mm crossmax rear rims I thought they would be fine and so far they have proved just that

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:47 Quote
winston1192 wrote:

Yes those giant wheels are good Dt Swiss I believe. I have easton vice xlt 's which I got dirt cheap so far there holding up to the British winter weather and there nice and light and ust tubeless only 21mm internal but seem fine with my mountain king 2.4s, and after seeing a lot of the enduro boys running 19mm crossmax rear rims I thought they would be fine and so far they have proved just that

Only the giant 0 team edition carbon wheels get the Dt 350 hub, and even then only in the back. The 1 should have formula hubs front and back.

For what it's worth I asked bontrager what width they designed their 2.35 tires around and while I didn't get a concrete answer they recommended minimum 23mm internal. WTB recently said their tires are designed around 23-25mm. Personally I wouldn't go narrower that 23 with a wide tire. If you're on 19-21 you'd probably get a better contact patch with 2.2's

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:50 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
winston1192 wrote:

Only the giant 0 team edition carbon wheels get the Dt 350 hub, and even then only in the back. The 1 should have formula hubs front and back.

For what it's worth I asked bontrager what width they designed their 2.35 tires around and while I didn't get a concrete answer they recommended minimum 23mm internal. WTB recently said their tires are designed around 23-25mm. Personally I wouldn't go narrower that 23 with a wide tire. If you're on 19-21 you'd probably get a better contact patch with 2.2's
To be fair 2.4 mountain kings come in at around 2.2

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:56 Quote
winston1192 wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:
winston1192 wrote:

Actually ALL of Giant's high end wheels use DT Swiss internals. As you can see form the picture I'm a dealer for Giant and I can tell you for a fact that they use DT Swiss.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 6:58 Quote
winston1192 wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:
winston1192 wrote:

I normally run Mountain king's in 2.4 and due to their high volume, they've always been 2.4 to me. Even wider with my new wheels. Not saying your wrong, but it could be the wheels they were mounted to.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 7:04 Quote
WonderAnt10 wrote:
winston1192 wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:

Actually ALL of Giant's high end wheels use DT Swiss internals. As you can see form the picture I'm a dealer for Giant and I can tell you for a fact that they use DT Swiss.

Good to know. I'm pretty sure I got that information off giants website. So what's the difference between the ptrx-1 and the 0 that comes on the team?

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 7:07 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
WonderAnt10 wrote:
winston1192 wrote:

Good to know. I'm pretty sure I got that information off giants website. So what's the difference between the ptrx-1 and the 0 that comes on the team?

P-TRX1 is all aluminum and the P-TRX0 is all carbon. Both have a ID of 21mm. Both wheels are custom for Giant except the insides are DT Swiss.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 7:19 Quote
Oops I forgot they have a p-trx1 and ptrx-1C that comes on the carbon bikes.

I thought we were talking about the 1C, and was under the impression that wheel didn't come with DT hubs to separate it from the 0 team model.

Kind of irrelevant if that's not the wheel were talking about though.

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 7:28 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
Oops I forgot they have a p-trx1 and ptrx-1C that comes on the carbon bikes.

I thought we were talking about the 1C, and was under the impression that wheel didn't come with DT hubs to separate it from the 0 team model.

Kind of irrelevant if that's not the wheel were talking about though.

Oh no, I was talking 2014 wheels, cause the 1C is new for this year. That being said, the difference from what my rep told me is for the 0 and the 1C is the carbon. Like how giant used to have composite and advanced grade carbon.

Posted: Mar 7, 2015 at 0:27 Quote
Cane creek inline on a 27.5 1 2014 thoughts ?? Anyone running it ?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012471
Mobile Version of Website