Powered by Outside

RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread

PB Forum :: Downhill
RockShox TOTEM / LYRIK discussion thread
Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 13:18 Quote
riish wrote:
The mission control damper is the thing you need though. If you're willing to pay shipping to canada I may have a spare lying around you can have. Will check later this week.

If you've got a spare (and it works with a Lyrik R), I can't argue with that offer. I'm happy to pay shipping if you find it.

calbert813 wrote:
After trying both the MissionControl and Charger dampers in my Lyrik I finally sprung for an Avalanche damper and could not be happier. Do it right the first time, go with the low maintenance, reliable, custom tuned Avalanche damper.

It looks great and I've read nothing but positive reviews about their process. I'm a bit hesitant to drop $700 Canadian loonies + shipping to the States into a 6 year old 26" basic-series coil fork. I don't ride my bike every single weekend and am not looking for the absolute best thing on the market... but balancing a decent upgrade for a couple hundred, without hitting the diminishing returns of trying to get the very best. Hope that makes sense and I appreciate the input.

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:08 Quote
mikejl29 wrote:
riish wrote:
The mission control damper is the thing you need though. If you're willing to pay shipping to canada I may have a spare lying around you can have. Will check later this week.

If you've got a spare (and it works with a Lyrik R), I can't argue with that offer. I'm happy to pay shipping if you find it.

calbert813 wrote:
After trying both the MissionControl and Charger dampers in my Lyrik I finally sprung for an Avalanche damper and could not be happier. Do it right the first time, go with the low maintenance, reliable, custom tuned Avalanche damper.

It looks great and I've read nothing but positive reviews about their process. I'm a bit hesitant to drop $700 Canadian loonies + shipping to the States into a 6 year old 26" basic-series coil fork. I don't ride my bike every single weekend and am not looking for the absolute best thing on the market... but balancing a decent upgrade for a couple hundred, without hitting the diminishing returns of trying to get the very best. Hope that makes sense and I appreciate the input.

the only difference in lyriks is the damper. drop a mission control damper in and its identical to the top of the line (at the time)

Posted: Mar 13, 2018 at 15:50 Quote
mikejl29 wrote:
riish wrote:

calbert813 wrote:

Sounds like a Mission Control damper is your best bet, it's definitely the cheapest route.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 at 12:56 Quote
I converted a Lyrik R last fall to a Charger damper and also installed Pike wipers and air cap. The Charger improved the forks small bumps compliance and doesn't dive as much when cornering.

The Charger was about $60 more than MiCo compression and rebound dampers. If the price difference were greater, I probably just would have chosen the MiCo DH dampers.

The deciding factor for me was the Pike seals which are supposed to have less stiction compared to the original Lyrik seals. The MC damper apparently doesn't pair well with the Pike Seals. The Pike air cap wasn't really necessary , but allows the option of using tokens to tune the air spring.

Posted: Mar 19, 2018 at 13:32 Quote
Hi!

I use MiCo damper with the pike seals. Thank you for the idea Riish! Smile 7,5 wt motorex are in the damper instead 5 wt. Perfect small bump sensitivity, good middle stroke and ramp up support.

Cheers!

Viktor

Posted: Mar 20, 2018 at 22:18 Quote
With the announcement of the new Lyrik RC2 with a Charger 2 damper, I wonder if a retrofit kit will be made available as they did for the original Charger.

Posted: Mar 21, 2018 at 15:17 Quote
Has anyone had any issues with their mission control LSC compression knob not being able to turn?

I've got an 08 Totem coil that has the MiCo damper with Floodgate and the LSC is stuck to the point it makes the HSC knob turn with it (regardless of floodgate open or closed).

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 1:56 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
Has anyone had any issues with their mission control LSC compression knob not being able to turn?

I've got an 08 Totem coil that has the MiCo damper with Floodgate and the LSC is stuck to the point it makes the HSC knob turn with it (regardless of floodgate open or closed).

Thanks!

Mine has just been like that when I done a service. Seemed to have been adjusted too far in one direction. Set of pliers on each adjuster and it came loose. Turns fine now.

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 13:53 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
tkdbboy wrote:

Thanks!

Mine has just been like that when I done a service. Seemed to have been adjusted too far in one direction. Set of pliers on each adjuster and it came loose. Turns fine now.

Coincidentally I also did a service haha.

Is there a way of telling (by looking at the knob if it goes up or down during rotation or pulling out the damper) which direction has been maxxed out on the LSC knob? I don't want to force it past the min/max and potentially cause damage.

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 22, 2018 at 14:59 Quote
Can't remember now. I just remember it being stuck, wouldn't lift up or turning in either direction. Was about to start stripping the damper to bits but then the pliers got it free. Was only last week I done it.

I think I just kept try to turn it back and forth the. It just freed up and moved.

Mine has also had the Floodgate mod so not sure if this is part of the problem?

Posted: Mar 23, 2018 at 19:58 Quote
mwilliams wrote:
Can't remember now. I just remember it being stuck, wouldn't lift up or turning in either direction. Was about to start stripping the damper to bits but then the pliers got it free. Was only last week I done it.

I think I just kept try to turn it back and forth the. It just freed up and moved.

Good news, it now turns. Gave it a bit of elbow grease.
Bad news, its a completely smooth turn with no clicking. Takes about 10 turns to get from end to end. Each end feels a bit sticky. Gotta give the dial a bit of force to move it out of min/max.
Will have to test on the trail if the adjustment is working.

Currently don't have the floodgate mod but am contemplating giving it a go to see how it feels.

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 5:34 Quote
blast form the past here, I've got 2011 totem with motion control but i want to put a mission control damper in. do i need to change the rebound damper too? I've seen some listed that they work with both and others says mission control while others say motion control. anyone know the difference between the rebound dampers?

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 7:04 Quote
mrfrench2013 wrote:
blast form the past here, I've got 2011 totem with motion control but i want to put a mission control damper in. do i need to change the rebound damper too? I've seen some listed that they work with both and others says mission control while others say motion control. anyone know the difference between the rebound dampers?
you need the mission control rebound damper if you are going to run the compression damper if are a pair of you use one or the other if won't be the same

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 7:33 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
mwilliams wrote:

Good news, it now turns. Gave it a bit of elbow grease.
Bad news, its a completely smooth turn with no clicking. Takes about 10 turns to get from end to end. Each end feels a bit sticky. Gotta give the dial a bit of force to move it out of min/max.
Will have to test on the trail if the adjustment is working.

Currently don't have the floodgate mod but am contemplating giving it a go to see how it feels.

There's a Circlip half way down the damper unit which gives the 'clicks' might be worth checking that hasn't come off.

Posted: Mar 24, 2018 at 17:40 Quote
soulless wrote:
mrfrench2013 wrote:
you need the mission control rebound damper if you are going to run the compression damper if are a pair of you use one or the other if won't be the same

You will be fine to use your current rebound damper with the mission control. They changed the rebound damper size after 09

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015870
Mobile Version of Website