Powered by Outside

Rigid fork help for dj.

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Rigid fork help for dj.
  • Next Page
Posted: May 24, 2010 at 23:24 Quote
I got rigid on a Aliminium frame its algud . . . so far.

Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:48 Quote
i think i may buy a new frame and sus fork, just been out to the jumps today and realised how front end heavy i am and my frame aint all that...

Any recomendations?

Sam
x

Posted: Nov 18, 2013 at 21:09 Quote
Sorry to hijack ur thread here but I am also most interested in hearing why don't go rigid on alum frame... I've come from a Bmx background and use to run a alum frame with rigids, I'm not gonna say I'm super super smooth or anything but non the less never had any issue with this kind of setup in alum frame. everyone seems too scared to run rigid on these sorts of frames... and in most cases everyone is going suspension ? Why.. Is it coz your sacred of casing it, plush landing with suspension or ur wrists are fcucked...

I've purchased a banshee amp frame and keen as hell to run and stick to my rigids... But Most are telling me , na, go suspension... why.....

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 0:52 Quote
chunkiemonkie wrote:
if its an aluminum frame then you should stay away from rigid forks. if you do however get one, get chromo bars too.

No offence but that's plain BS.

I've ridden rigid forks combined with alu bars for about 7 years. Never had any bars snapping and I'm really hard on my parts.

Also rigid forks work fine with alu frames.

If you have a shit alu frame or alu bars it will break anyways, no matter if you ride rigid or suspension.
Exactly the same goes for steel frames and bars: if you buy shit ones they'll break anyways, no matter if you run rgid or suspension.

But if you buy a decent frame and decent bars they will hold up no matter if it's alu or steel and no matter if you ride rigid or suspension.

So many people are like 'o no it wont work' while they have no idea and no personal experience with riding what they are talking about.

As for which fork to get, I'd recommend getting something around 435-450mm a2c.
I'd say the NS Fundamental2 fork is the best option in your situation. DMR Trailblade is nice too but very heavy. Or a 450mm Dobermann Tchokr, which would be the ultimate fork for your build, but it costs as much as a decent suspension fork. Unless you can find one 2nd hand for a decent price I'd recommend the NS Fundamental2.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 1:01 Quote
CrazyM wrote:
Sorry to hijack ur thread here but I am also most interested in hearing why don't go rigid on alum frame... I've come from a Bmx background and use to run a alum frame with rigids, I'm not gonna say I'm super super smooth or anything but non the less never had any issue with this kind of setup in alum frame. everyone seems too scared to run rigid on these sorts of frames... and in most cases everyone is going suspension ? Why.. Is it coz your sacred of casing it, plush landing with suspension or ur wrists are fcucked...

I've purchased a banshee amp frame and keen as hell to run and stick to my rigids... But Most are telling me , na, go suspension... why.....

It's just a myth that has been going around on the internet for ages, and kids are copying it everywhere without actually knowing what they are talking about.

I think it started out about 5-10 years ago, when the NS Bikes X-Up bars were the only bars with a bit more height, so many people who rode rigid chose to ride that bar to compensate for the short fork / low front end. But the bar turned out to be a big failure and everyone who had one was snapping them like eggs. Many of these riders blamed it on the mix of the alu bars on rigids, while it actually just were shit bars that would have broken anyways. These rumours have been sticking around on the internet due to kids copying eachother without having any experience with riding that set up.

Some alu dirt frames even come with rigid forks (Commencal for example) and like you said it's normal in BMX racing, so it's not a problem át all.

The Banshee you have is super strong and will hold up perfectly with rigids, no doubts about that.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 5:53 Quote
Marttin, you sir are a legend! Yea the amp frame is super strong super stiff aye. So as for what rigid to get to complete this build any idea gents.. Dobermann Tchokr... nS or you got better idea for me to look into .....

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 7:47 Quote
CrazyM wrote:
Marttin, you sir are a legend! Yea the amp frame is super strong super stiff aye. So as for what rigid to get to complete this build any idea gents.. Dobermann Tchokr... nS or you got better idea for me to look into .....

Depends on what you're going to ride with it.
For street I'd recommend slightly higher, a fork between 435mm and 450mm (NS Fundamental2 or the long version of the Dobermann Tchokr).
For dirt I'd recommend something with a length between 425 and 435mm. Here you have plenty of choise of decent forks, like the Rebate, the normal length 430mm Tchokr, the new NS RNS fork, and many more.

Posted: Nov 19, 2013 at 16:21 Quote
Mattin wrote:
CrazyM wrote:

For street I'd recommend slightly higher, a fork between 435mm and 450mm (NS Fundamental2 or the long version of the Dobermann Tchokr).
For dirt I'd recommend something with a length between 425 and 435mm. Here you have plenty of choise of decent forks, like the Rebate, the normal length 430mm Tchokr, the new NS RNS fork, and many more.

Ok, so as we get nothing over here in Australia and we are very limited on things we can buy, found a NS RNS 2 fork 2012 model new and is 420mm with a rake of 26mm... You think this will suit with the Amp... More Dirt jumping and track work with a lil bit of general croozing is what it will be used for mostly, would this suit you think... Raw amp, chrome forks and my parts list is pretty much all blacked out Smile hahaha obviously forks is what I need to know here.... Might be the only Banshee Amp with a rigid aye?

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 1:51 Quote
CrazyM wrote:
Mattin wrote:
CrazyM wrote:

Ok, so as we get nothing over here in Australia and we are very limited on things we can buy, found a NS RNS 2 fork 2012 model new and is 420mm with a rake of 26mm... You think this will suit with the Amp... More Dirt jumping and track work with a lil bit of general croozing is what it will be used for mostly, would this suit you think... Raw amp, chrome forks and my parts list is pretty much all blacked out Smile hahaha obviously forks is what I need to know here.... Might be the only Banshee Amp with a rigid aye?

I wouldn't go for the RNS2 2012, it will probably be too low for your frame. I was referring to the 2013 RNS fork, which has a 428mm a2c.

I see Rythm Imports sells NS forks in Australia. I think the best option for you would be the NS Fundamental 2012 because of the 435mm a2c.
They sell it here: http://www.ribbed.com.au/store/by-product-type/forks/ns-fundamental-fork-2012.html

These differences may not sound like much, but they will make a big difference in how your bike will ride.

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 5:20 Quote
JumpSpin wrote:
Right i have a gt chucker xs2 the frame itself is really light. But the forks are heavy as! so im looking to go rigid. what forks would you recommend? I may go 24" wheels if it's a better option with rigids.

Any advice would be great thanks.
Pics of my bike are on my profile.
Sam
x
Pimp

I'm not sure, If its DJ that you're into, stick with forks, but get some lighter ones? rigid forks are a very different change, and you'll notice it for sure..

Depends what you're into though.. four cross you'd be more than fine i guess.. slopestyle and the like and you'd get wrecked..

Posted: Nov 20, 2013 at 19:18 Quote
mostly dirt jumping and track work gents, might even get back into racing a bit but... see how fast I am now being older ahahhaaha

Posted: Apr 6, 2017 at 16:11 Quote
i know im kicking a dead post buttttt i have a 2003 santacruz chameleon and a dmr trailblade but i dont know if its safe to ride them...i have heard many warning and much scare but idk...i want to but i dont want to snap my frame...thanks and again sorry for kicking a dead thread.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012301
Mobile Version of Website