Powered by Outside

Avid code brakes failure !

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Avid code brakes failure !
O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 12:46 Quote
knobzy wrote:
every one on here sounds like they will never buy something ever again because it broke. good thing the rest of the world isn't like that.. i could imagine. My truck broke when i was backing up in my drive way. I was out 4X4 the day before. I'll never buy a FORD again, EVER!

that's just lame. Shit breaks, it could be from a massive crash, or something as simple as slightly squeezing. Just because it does break doesn't mean the company is out to get you.

What will you do when you buy a new set of brakes from a different company and they break? and so forth. Save your self the money and ride breakless.

Some many last years, where others last a week. Its the circle of life.

now quit your crying and ride your dam bike. brakes or no brakes.

Ohhh man dont get me started here !

Im talking about multiple failures here. On different code brake set !

If it was just one failing id say shit happen. But 3 different brakes in few days !

Call that what you want. I myself like to call this a reliability issue.

Codes might be the best brakes in the world but if i can jam as many as 3 pistons on different brake levers in few days in my book it makes the model a piece of shit.

You might be in luck and never get an issue with your hardware. Good for you. But trust me when i say this experience the same failure few times in the same conditions i did and youll see it's enough to make you believe a product is unreliable.

Ask around man. Go in your lbs ask them about it. Then you can talk about it. Not every person on the planet come here digging the forums to bitch ! You can't rely on the lack of input in this thread.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 13:00 Quote
xetalx wrote:
knobzy wrote:
every one on here sounds like they will never buy something ever again because it broke. good thing the rest of the world isn't like that.. i could imagine. My truck broke when i was backing up in my drive way. I was out 4X4 the day before. I'll never buy a FORD again, EVER!

that's just lame. Shit breaks, it could be from a massive crash, or something as simple as slightly squeezing. Just because it does break doesn't mean the company is out to get you.

What will you do when you buy a new set of brakes from a different company and they break? and so forth. Save your self the money and ride breakless.

Some many last years, where others last a week. Its the circle of life.

now quit your crying and ride your dam bike. brakes or no brakes.

Ohhh man dont get me started here !

Im talking about multiple failures here. On different code brake set !

If it was just one failing id say shit happen. But 3 different brakes in few days !

Call that what you want. I myself like to call this a reliability issue.

Codes might be the best brakes in the world but if i can jam as many as 3 pistons on different brake levers in few days in my book it makes the model a piece of shit.

You might be in luck and never get an issue with your hardware. Good for you. But trust me when i say this experience the same failure few times in the same conditions i did and youll see it's enough to make you believe a product is unreliable.

Ask around man. Go in your lbs ask them about it. Then you can talk about it. Not every person on the planet come here digging the forums to bitch ! You can't rely on the lack of input in this thread.

you probably don't talk nice to your brakes do ya?? haha just kidding.

anyways, putting the f*cked up brakes aside. What company you going to buy brakes off of next? what if they have 3 fails within days?? then what? whos next?? what are you going to do when you have gone threw every brakes system out there?? going to make your own? you should right now.

It does suck to be you and your friends to be brake less (not bike less)

do you know how many other items in this world break? Sure it was weird having 3 friends same issue within days. But eh ppl get struck by lighting.
Like before if we used this attitude towards, lets say car.. We would be screwed. I've had different makes and model of brakes before. Some better then others. Some broke quick, some lasted a while.
its the circle of life, now contact avid and complain to them. Maybe you will spark a mass recall and everyone can get new brakes.

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 14:11 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
Pitcrew wrote:
My Codes did the same thing like 2 months ago. My rear brake just wouldnt work, i messed around with it, i think i disassembled the lever at the mtn and some how got my brake to work...? Im still leery of my brakes, but they appear to be fine...
What year is it? How many season's and rrides on them?
09. The kid i bought them from rode them for 2 weeks, then sold his frame. I picked them up around the end of April. They worked fine for a bit, then that happened. The rear brake was bleed the following day, forgot to mention that....

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 14:27 Quote
Pitcrew wrote:
Rigaud wrote:
Pitcrew wrote:
My Codes did the same thing like 2 months ago. My rear brake just wouldnt work, i messed around with it, i think i disassembled the lever at the mtn and some how got my brake to work...? Im still leery of my brakes, but they appear to be fine...
09. The kid i bought them from rode them for 2 weeks, then sold his frame. I picked them up around the end of April. They worked fine for a bit, then that happened. The rear brake was bleed the following day, forgot to mention that....

Get in touch with Avid, find out what needs to be done to get some service from them but make certain you give them all the info. Not normal to get trouble so soon.

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 14:37 Quote
knobzy wrote:
*SNIP*

Save your self the money and ride breakless.

*SNIP*

I was loling at this point lol XD

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 19:38 Quote
Rigaud wrote:
Pitcrew wrote:
Rigaud wrote:

Get in touch with Avid, find out what needs to be done to get some service from them but make certain you give them all the info. Not normal to get trouble so soon.
Been thinking about it, i dont have a receipt for the set, which shouldnt really matter to much. (i work at my lbs, sooooo...yea) Ill ride em til something else happens, as of now, they seem to work.

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 22:05 Quote
I bet your just a worker from hayes who has a grudge against codes cause they're so good.

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 22:14 Quote
people hate on hayes like they hate on kona. most people havent owned one but they still think theyre cool saying how bad they are "well my friend told me about this guy he talked to..."

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 22:36 Quote
xetalx wrote:

Green , Silver and White !

Dude i wont calm down. I'm pissed. I will never buy avid again. Never !.

I backed up these brakes, had all my friends to buy them. 3 identical failures ? That is just plain self explaining.

I like the idea of being able to fix them... ! Ruff 100$ + - 150$... Level Body + Master Cylinder. Not worth it.
What you are experiancing is unfortunate and VERY uncommon. If it makes you feel better AVID will warranty anything under the sun even if the warranty is expired. Also they are redesigning the code for 2011 all issues should be fixed with the new brake.

Posted: Jun 10, 2010 at 23:02 Quote
My Avid Codes sucked.
My Avid Elixer R is amazing.

That is all, im not subscribing.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 3:31 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
xetalx wrote:

Green , Silver and White !

Dude i wont calm down. I'm pissed. I will never buy avid again. Never !.

I backed up these brakes, had all my friends to buy them. 3 identical failures ? That is just plain self explaining.

I like the idea of being able to fix them... ! Ruff 100$ + - 150$... Level Body + Master Cylinder. Not worth it.
What you are experiancing is unfortunate and VERY uncommon. If it makes you feel better AVID will warranty anything under the sun even if the warranty is expired. Also they are redesigning the code for 2011 all issues should be fixed with the new brake.

We shall see. So far i returned one set to them. 2 weeks and no news yet. As for the other two sets mine got replaced by Shimano Saint and my other friend put his Hayes Mag... Yeah 10 years old Hayes Mag Purple.

I might try to get the other 2 out of warranty sets inspected and see how they will come back. The thing is that they will never land on my bike again and i feel embarassed selling them since they are fail-o-matic brakes.

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 3:39 Quote
Hope All the way Big Grin

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 7:27 Quote
James116 wrote:
Hope All the way Big Grin
+1

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 8:12 Quote
i bet this guy is a hack

Posted: Jun 11, 2010 at 8:30 Quote
Schism wrote:
people hate on hayes like they hate on kona. most people havent owned one but they still think theyre cool saying how bad they are "well my friend told me about this guy he talked to..."

There's that and there was also when they started/tried making more affordable brake models. People started buying bottom of the line brakes and then complaining that their bottom of the line brake had the reliability and quality of a bottom of the line brake and as such the Hayes name took a bit of a beating.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014070
Mobile Version of Website