Powered by Outside

MY GUIDE: Recovering Stolen Bikes from ebay & Classifed ad sites (Copyright ©)

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
MY GUIDE: Recovering Stolen Bikes from ebay & Classifed ad sites (Copyright ©)
Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 9:17 Quote
My mate inquired posing as a buyer. Thats how we matched the frame number. It wasn't possible to pick it up as I'm in another country. I haven't given up hope but feel its long gone now. Ive tried to let Ebay know about the seller but its impossible to contact them direct or so Ive found ?

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 9:26 Quote
Did he ask them for the frame number? Maybe they got suspicious after all they were selling stolen property, most likely in bulk.

I have no idea about contacting eBay directly, but it seems tricky.

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 9:58 Quote
He asked them for it just so he could check it wasn't stolen as he was interested & they gave it him ? I asked a few days later & they declined it. After a few amicable emails, in which i explained the situation, i provided them with the numbers (frame, swingarm & even the fox forks, which they had listed seperate). They seamed sincere. I gave them crime numbers & even the number of the guy who built it at Orange ! They checked neither & fell silent. My course of action may not have been correct but its a first for me & didn't know how else to go about it ? :o(

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 10:03 Quote
That’s where the mistake laid. You've got to be in the thieves shoes and see how risky it is. When you get asked to provide a serial # and you know it's stolen, you're going to get sweaty palmed and run at the earliest sign of having the law on your arse.

And sorry for sounding like a dick on my first response, I thought you had read this before going to enquire about your bike.

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 at 10:16 Quote
You live & learn my friend.......Hopefully ? Facepalm

Posted: Jun 17, 2012 at 11:54 Quote
werzmebike wrote:
You live & learn my friend.......Hopefully ? Facepalm

So you know who sold on your bike but you haven't tried to hold them accountable.

That website is still active and you should be making sure they are subject to the full consequences of knowingly selling stolen gear.

First things first you made them aware that they were selling stolen goods while they were still in possession of them, any reputable business would have contacted the police themselves, second they operate from a PO Box which is against the distance selling regulations, I'm guessing this isn't a reputable business. If you inform the police that you are aware of the location of stolen goods they must investigate, the website seems like it has a fair bit of stuff on it so I would imagine it falls under suspicion of links to organised crime.

If the police didn't act immediately I would have been straight down to my local MP's surgery.

Last resort I would have used my credit card to buy the bike through paypal, once it had arrived I would have reported it to the credit card company and claimed my money back. You had all the proof it was your bike.

Posted: Sep 3, 2012 at 14:56 Quote
My friend got his bike stolen outside st.davids 2 (Cardiff, Wales) today..... its a lime green genesis core 20 with bright red dmr V8 pedals! Stands out a bit....
photo

Posted: Sep 22, 2012 at 16:20 Quote
Me and my friend's BMX's both got stolen last night. I have made a group for us and anyone else who has to deal with lowlife bike hijackers. Please share and get the word out, I am just sending this message to anyone who rides: https://www.facebook.com/groups/285688764865344/

Thank you

Posted: Oct 2, 2012 at 11:01 Quote
The sad truth is that there are aerosol cans (compressed air i believe) that will freeze any lock. A simple whack with a hammer and its open.

I had a versus blitz that i built as a single speed cruiser stolen two weeks after i built it. Had a cable lock that was cut. I think it was an inside job between the thief and the security guard in front of the gym i was at. It got jacked at 2 in the afternoon.

Gonna stake out the same location with a bait bike soon...

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 at 22:56 Quote
My friend found his stolen bike on eBay. So far the police have done nothing.They say they need a warrant.Judges are slow issuing warrants. Any ideas? PS--- He even has a pretty good idea,within a block or two,where the thief lives.

Posted: Oct 12, 2012 at 2:52 Quote
Hi every one. I have recently swapped my bmx wheel set for a frame on here.
He has received my wheels but I haven't got his frame.
He has no proof that he sent them so I suspect he has conned me.
I have sent numerous messages asking him to contact the courier to which he says he will but he hasn't replied to me.
Where should I go from here?
Thanks.

Posted: Jan 21, 2013 at 5:37 Quote
Ashclo2010 wrote:
Low life people who hant got a life just sit at home smoking dope and doing drugs go out steal a bike then earn some dollar out of it
thats a bit stereotypical dont you think just because someone smokes weed doesnt make them lazy and a thief alcohol is more likely to make someone do that maybe you stop listening to the media and experience things yourself so u actually know what your talking about before you start slating people weed is natural where as alcohol is man made you idiot how many people has weed killed 0 alcohol millions, example man beats woman in drunken rage ect the media will take things and use it either to make it sound worse or better ect hence why weed has such a bad name now a days i only smoke it occasionally now and never drink alcohol and there is a reason for this just because your government says weed is bad defiantly doesnt mean it is the only reason why alcohol and tobacco isnt illegal is because the goverment make billions on it anyway sorry for the rant but really dude think about what your saying

Posted: Jan 21, 2013 at 5:42 Quote
Let's try and not start a drugs discussion. But I understand your point Tom.

Posted: Jan 21, 2013 at 6:41 Quote
psyclist wrote:
Let's try and not start a drugs discussion. But I understand your point Tom.
sorry lol the irony of it is he has a bob marly pic as profile pic dont understand that tbo lol

Posted: Mar 1, 2013 at 7:53 Quote
Highrevkev wrote:
We found it last weekend up at Northstar- the guy who bought it was really cool about it. But we couldn't exactly just take it from him....he spent $3k on it... taking it would put him out $3k.... he's willing to work with my friend to straighten everything out, but how do we get the person who stole it in the first place? There's no guarantee that the guy he bought it from was the thief either.... so who gets stuck with the bill?

Unfortunately, the person who is currently in possession of the bike is in possession of stolen property and has no legal right to that property. The original owner whom it was stolen from is the rightful owner, regardless of how many hands it has passed through. The guy who has it now would have to take the guy before him to court to get his money back, and down the line it goes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016549
Mobile Version of Website