(singlespeed) info & discussion

PB Forum :: 29ers
(singlespeed) info & discussion
Posted: Dec 25, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
bump

has any one ever got a bmx and stuck a really long seat post on it, kind of like a bromptom but in bmx form

heres a bromptom if you didnt know what they are

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/brompton_m6r.jpg

really want to try it with my old bmx, maybe even clips and straps haha!

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 at 16:58 Quote
I got an idea, lemme know if you think it would work......if you did a ss conversion and replaced the cassette with cog , but (here's the catch) didnt use any spacers and left the cog "floating" on the freehub body free to move side to side. Should in theory work, I wanna do it on a bike i am building to sell so....just as long as it works for them Razz

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 at 17:03 Quote
dont get it? how will that make it fixed?

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 at 18:51 Quote
nowhere-fast wrote:
dont get it? how will that make it fixed?

fixed as in fixed gear? thats not what i'm going for...just a ss conversion with out the spacers

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 at 19:09 Quote
ohhhh, i ment fixed gear

bmx is already a single speed though?

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 at 21:55 Quote
I guess it would work in theory but I don't think it'll actually work because a single cog on a freehub body has too much play without the spacers to hold it in place. You should just make a bamboo spacer kit!

Posted: Jan 5, 2011 at 22:15 Quote
jimbo33000 wrote:
magic gear isnt great, what about ghost gear? just take apart an old cassette and select a cog, put it inbetween the chain and move forward or backward for more or less tension:

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://bikemag.com/diy/DIY-ghost-gear-single.jpg
I did this, and it flew out and left a bloody scar on the back of my calfs, with the teeth and everything. A single speed chain is different width and stuff, so these wobble around. Find an old sprocket from a bmx bike, and use that

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 6:07 Quote
nowhere-fast wrote:
ohhhh, i ment fixed gear

Razz I wasnt talking about your bmx idea....just a ss mountain bike i want to build to sell

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 6:07 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:
I guess it would work in theory but I don't think it'll actually work because a single cog on a freehub body has too much play without the spacers to hold it in place. You should just make a bamboo spacer kit!
Good idea! i might try that

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 9:04 Quote
jimbo33000 wrote:
nowhere-fast wrote:
ohhhh, i ment fixed gear

Razz I wasnt talking about your bmx idea....just a ss mountain bike i want to build to sell

surly you can find a cheep enough SS kit?

i do have an idea actually, you know when geared hubs have spacers in between each cog, usually the cheeper hubs, they are a lot smaller than ss kit spacers but if you can go around shops or people with spare parts for old broken ones then just use all the spacers for free?

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 11:47 Quote
I've done that before, it's hard to fine metal ones though, most cassettes have plastic spacers.

Posted: Jan 6, 2011 at 11:52 Quote
ooo, another idea Wink go to a diy shop and get some sort of tubing cut to the right length in 2 peices and use those as spacers

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 12:19 Quote
I'm new to SS and am wondering what ratio to run with a 46t chainring up front....I have a 16t sprocket with my SS kit.

I'll be riding a lot of hilly areas with some flats so which sprocket would be suitable for this without spinning?

Cheers.

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 12:26 Quote
de ja vu

18t!

then after a few months change to the 16t

Posted: May 23, 2011 at 12:32 Quote
It's because I saw you said your mate being new to fixed is running 15t so I was wondering why lol.

Would 20t cause too much spin?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014860
Mobile Version of Website