Powered by Outside

Difference between standard and cross-lacing?

PB Forum :: Beginners
Difference between standard and cross-lacing?
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:12 Quote
all i see is a funny hub

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:15 Quote
marquis wrote:
Cross lacing is to cope with the power as you pedal,are you building yourself.?

Yes. I am building myself. Its not my first bike project, by I was assembling wheels just two times:
I was changing hub on my first bmx (so I had a sample of wheel - front)
Also I was assembling my street/dirbt mtb wheel (I also had rear wheel as example). Both my assembled wheels were perfect and tough and they are still rolling somewhere without any problems.

And this will be my first time without example in front of me (with rims I am not familiar with).

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:16 Quote
alexrieger94 wrote:
Cross lacing is where the spoke comes from the right side of the hub and to the left side of the rim

http://www.alienationbmx.com/wp-content/gallery/runaway/spokes.jpg

What would explain why I can't see difference on assembled NS fundamentals and my previous wheels. It is same 3-cross lasing

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 11:39 Quote
Look they say one thing, you do the other, just assemble them 3 cross, i dont see why it wont work, i reccomend using the bikeradar wheelbuilding instructions, they are very clear

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 12:18 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
Look they say one thing, you do the other, just assemble them 3 cross, i dont see why it wont work, i reccomend using the bikeradar wheelbuilding instructions, they are very clear

If I will do it wrong - rim will be less tough. I want to be sure I am doing right thing. I guess I will have to find a pro and talk about that. I will do a research on that when I will have time to go to local cycle shop. I hope they will have guy who definitely knows that.

I will post here info I will get. It just could take some time until I will have enough spare time for that - I am very busy for a few weeks

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 12:19 Quote
just go 3 cross, dont worry too much, the only reason some spokes cross over is because of the drilling offset, nothing effects the pattern (other than the hubs and spoke length, 3 cross ftw

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:15 Quote
Sorry marquis but in this respect your wrong. Lace it like a normal wheel.
There is no problem with lacing any rim 3x or 4x, no difference on the rims part, were as cross lacing is very common through bmx rims as it can add alot of strength into the wheel, ns understands that most of its customers have a bmx backround/knowledge and if the rim is has been designed physically unable to be cross laced.

To further explain my point, the rim picture the other guy posted up is indeed a cross laced rim, because the nipple you can see is laced to the left side of the hub, whilst the left side of the rim is laced to the right hub flange. Further more, both the pictures you posted were laced 1x marquis.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:22 Quote
I was sufring the net for about a half an hour and I found few times confirmed explanation. Basically we were confused between cross lacing and cross weaving. Ar its wrong term again?

poizone wrote:
Cross lacing is when you have the spoke run from one side of the hub to an angled nipple hole on the opposite side of the rim.

Cross weaving is when you have multiple spokes cross eachother on the same side of the hub. These are what is meant by Radial, 1x, 2x, 3x, and 4x spoke patterns.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:40 Quote
connen31 wrote:
There is no problem with lacing any rim 3x or 4x, no difference on the rims part, were as cross lacing is very common through bmx rims as it can add alot of strength into the wheel, ns understands that most of its customers have a bmx backround/knowledge and if the rim is has been designed physically unable to be cross laced.

Best explanation so far.

Thank for everybody who took part in this discussion. I believe it's clear enough already

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:40 Quote
connen31 wrote:

To further explain my point, the rim picture the other guy posted up is indeed a cross laced rim, because the nipple you can see is laced to the left side of the hub, whilst the left side of the rim is laced to the right hub flange. Further more, both the pictures you posted were laced 2x marquis.

The second picture is 3 cross: over, over under.

My 24" race wheels are laced 4 cross. They are super strong. As said above, most rim/hub combos allow for this.Some race guys radial lace their front wheel.

If this is your first time, perhaps see if your LBS can do it whilst you watch/help/learn. If they are friendly guys and have some spare time they might do this. Wheel building is a science which is why quality wheel builders are reverd.

Good luck with it.

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:43 Quote
But there is another thing that bothers me till now. Length of spokes. I believe that length of spokes I need also depends on which lacing (2x 3x or 4x) I will choose, isn't it? 4x lacing will require slightly longer spokes? Or am I wrong?

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:56 Quote
personally i stick 3x it is plenty strong, but go 4x if you want, and yes it will require longer spokes

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 14:00 Quote
James-Carey wrote:
personally i stick 3x it is plenty strong, but go 4x if you want, and yes it will require longer spokes

I really want 4x. I found spokes size calculator which I will try at first http://www.bikeschool.com/tools/spoke-length-calculator http://lenni.info/edd/ and also I will try to confirm my calculation somehow. (don't want to trust 100percent any answer I get at first)

Thanks

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 14:15 Quote
dtswiss spoke calculator

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 14:26 Quote
connen31 wrote:

To further explain my point, the rim picture the other guy posted up is indeed a cross laced rim, because the nipple you can see is laced to the left side of the hub, whilst the left side of the rim is laced to the right hub flange. Further more, both the pictures you posted were laced 1x marquis.

Wrong it's not a crossed laced rim it is a offset rim to allow more dish or if you look down the wheel a triangle affect.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013418
Mobile Version of Website