Powered by Outside

What is the lightest bottom bracket i can buy?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What is the lightest bottom bracket i can buy?
Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 18:51 Quote
spag wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:
will54869 wrote:

It doesnt really matter. I have some gravity lights right now but im trying to get some xts on their to save some weight. If I need to purchase a certain crank so that i have the lightest setup then i will. So with the polyurithane thing can i use xts or my fsa's with it?

Gravity Lights with the Mega Exo BB are 794 grams. Can't get much lighter than that (without worrying).

no they are 950g

NO they are 794g.

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/4303

Sorry add 50 grams for a chainring. Still less than 950.

Posted: Dec 10, 2007 at 18:52 Quote
http://www.ridegravity.com/fly.aspx?layout=product&taxid=13&pid=45

950 with chainrings

Posted: Dec 11, 2007 at 13:31 Quote
nah the polyeurothane wont work i said to bad you dont have a bmx but the deal with all the different kinds of bbs are is there threaded press fit external and siza mainly and that decides what kind they are

peace
sean,

FL
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 18:55 Quote
so what is the lightest bb i can buy?

Posted: Dec 13, 2007 at 18:58 Quote
again depending on ur cranks, just about anything in titanium with ceramic bearings

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 4:11 Quote
weight weenies...

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 5:51 Quote
3rockrider wrote:
weight weenies...

or you just think your tough by calling us that
but secretly you wish your bike was as light as ours(mine)
so mr.rockrider have a good day and if you have nothing good to add to this guys thread/question
then royaly f*ck of sir

peace
sean,

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 7:52 Quote
macneilwhitton wrote:
3rockrider wrote:
weight weenies...

so mr.rockrider have a good day and if you have nothing good to add to this guys thread/question
then royaly f*ck of sir

peace
sean,

Ur just full of love 2day
But ur comments are awesome and true
tup

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 8:08 Quote
If you have the money go with the XTR cranks and BB. They're super light and strong because of being titanium. I ran them on my DH race bike this past year.tup

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 8:52 Quote
peach wrote:
If you have the money go with the XTR cranks and BB. They're super light and strong because of being titanium. I ran them on my DH race bike this past year.tup

970$ if i am not mistaken

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 8:53 Quote
spag wrote:
peach wrote:

970$ if i am not mistaken
LOL yeah around that Wink Rolleyes

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 9:25 Quote
i have a royce raicing bb and that weights in at 183g

i think the lightest is a Campagnolo Record UltraTorque 57g

Mod
Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 9:35 Quote
BB weights are a tricky thing. Comparing an ISIS bb to the bb from a outboard setup is not apple to oranges. Outboard systems (except Truvativ) don't include the bb spindle in the weight of the bb cups as its attached to either the drive or non-drive crank arms. Thats where you get 57g Campy bb's and similar stuff as its really just two cups, two bearings and a plastic sleeve.

If you have a 68mm or 73mm bb shell on you're bike then there are a lot of options. FSA makes some titanium bb's that come in well under 200gms (double check that though) and there are a bunch of cranks under 600gms that will take a lot of abuse even though they are not intended for DH use....but you didn't hear that from me. If you have an 83mm bb shell the ISIS options are limited to rather heavy units but you can still run light cranks.

I am not a fan of ourboard bearing crank sets. If you compare apples to apples outboard usually comes in heavier and outboard bearings have far more drag and don't last as long as claimed. If you want light outboard bearing cranks you may end up using something that is not intended for DH use. I won't list any but there are a number of light trail-use crank sets.

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 9:46 Quote
kakah wrote:
BB weights are a tricky thing. Comparing an ISIS bb to the bb from a outboard setup is not apple to oranges. Outboard systems (except Truvativ) don't include the bb spindle in the weight of the bb cups as its attached to either the drive or non-drive crank arms. Thats where you get 57g Campy bb's and similar stuff as its really just two cups, two bearings and a plastic sleeve.

If you have a 68mm or 73mm bb shell on you're bike then there are a lot of options. FSA makes some titanium bb's that come in well under 200gms (double check that though) and there are a bunch of cranks under 600gms that will take a lot of abuse even though they are not intended for DH use....but you didn't hear that from me. If you have an 83mm bb shell the ISIS options are limited to rather heavy units but you can still run light cranks.

I am not a fan of ourboard bearing crank sets. If you compare apples to apples outboard usually comes in heavier and outboard bearings have far more drag and don't last as long as claimed. If you want light outboard bearing cranks you may end up using something that is not intended for DH use. I won't list any but there are a number of light trail-use crank sets.
YES if you're running an ISIS crank setup then go with the FSA ultimax XTREME titanium. I have one in my hand right now and its a super light ISIS BB! and you're very close with the weight there my friend!!!Wink

Posted: Dec 14, 2007 at 16:36 Quote
macneilwhitton wrote:
3rockrider wrote:
weight weenies...

then royaly f*ck of sir

peace
sean,

lol was jus a joke calm down...nah it is a good thing having a light bike and i do pay attention to the weight of mine a bit.ye the fsa titanium bb sounds like a gd buy but may not be the toughest?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013471
Mobile Version of Website