Does anyone know what this creaking noise could be?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Does anyone know what this creaking noise could be?
Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 12:49 Quote
Yea.the length of the bush was.11mm so had to.be 5.5 and 5.5 but must of been like 6 and 5 or summit

Posted: Sep 8, 2012 at 23:17 Quote
Mine does this and I know it's worn bushes the where worn a little bit that's when it started then louder as time went by normally hear it when peddling or chucking around the track

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 9:42 Quote
i know its not a scalp but my iron horse yakuza tends to creak abit when its dry i fount out it comes from the shock mounting bolts,.

i just took them out sprayed them over with wd40 wiped dry and did the same for the eyelets on my shock and put back together and its gone works fine and does'nt creak anymore Smile ,..........might help you guys

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 10:15 Quote
elanto wrote:
i know its not a scalp but my iron horse yakuza tends to creak abit when its dry i fount out it comes from the shock mounting bolts,.

i just took them out sprayed them over with wd40 wiped dry and did the same for the eyelets on my shock and put back together and its gone works fine and does'nt creak anymore Smile ,..........might help you guys

I've just replaced Smile

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 11:46 Quote
cheers for the advice guys Smile i have stripped it down and re greased it all and tightend it all up, and seems fine now, just seems abit crap having to do it with a brandnew bike but i spose it depends on who built it up in the shop as i found washers missing on the chain devise and some other bits the went quite on right so all sorted now Smile
cheers tho

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 15:19 Quote
mikep1210 wrote:
motorcrosser12 wrote:
Hi guys, I've recently bought a Nukeproof Scalp brand new after ages of saving and I've ridden it only 4 times/days now since I bought it 2 Friday's (10 Days ago) and I've not crashed once yet...I've only once come up short on a landing/cased it so far but it wasn't a double so it wasn't bad at all and this happened because my foot came off in the air. But anyway, with in my last 2 rides (riding all day and only 1 short evening ride down some tracks) there has been a creaking noise that has been getting louder and louder and I have no idea what it is. It's coming from the swing arm/pivots/rear shock area. The shock is fine and hasn't blown and all the pivots are tight and not lose so I have no idea what it is. I took it into the shop i got it from so they could check something else for me and I also mentioned this creaking noise as well, and they said they would check it for me, I got it back this afternoon and in the notes from the check up they haven't mentioned the creaking noise as they obviously didn't check it as they forgot, so does anyone know what it could be? I don't want to go back to the shop again as I'll look like an idiot just going in again when it's only 4 rides old and yet i haven't any crashes yet.

If anyone has any idea please let me know, I'm hoping it's nothing serious/bad as it's only 4 days old and I'm kind of worrying.

Thanks!

Ben

Here's a picture to show where:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8492653/

hi i have had the same thing with mine, just ridden it once so far and just got home to find this creak coming from the linkage area i have tryed all of the above but its still there and pissing me off, any ideas of how to sort it? cheers

I've had my bike about 7 weeks now and it's still creaking and it's really loud and it's pissing me off too, I've been told it could be that there is a little bit of dirt trapped in between the linkages but that doesn't make sense as you haven't even ridden it yet, someone else said it could be that it needs greasing but yet again our bikes are new..and someone else said it could be that the bearing are messed up...none of those things seem likely for a new bike and it's really bugging me as i want to know what it is!

Posted: Sep 9, 2012 at 23:05 Quote
motorcrosser12 wrote:
mikep1210 wrote:
motorcrosser12 wrote:
Hi guys, I've recently bought a Nukeproof Scalp brand new after ages of saving and I've ridden it only 4 times/days now since I bought it 2 Friday's (10 Days ago) and I've not crashed once yet...I've only once come up short on a landing/cased it so far but it wasn't a double so it wasn't bad at all and this happened because my foot came off in the air. But anyway, with in my last 2 rides (riding all day and only 1 short evening ride down some tracks) there has been a creaking noise that has been getting louder and louder and I have no idea what it is. It's coming from the swing arm/pivots/rear shock area. The shock is fine and hasn't blown and all the pivots are tight and not lose so I have no idea what it is. I took it into the shop i got it from so they could check something else for me and I also mentioned this creaking noise as well, and they said they would check it for me, I got it back this afternoon and in the notes from the check up they haven't mentioned the creaking noise as they obviously didn't check it as they forgot, so does anyone know what it could be? I don't want to go back to the shop again as I'll look like an idiot just going in again when it's only 4 rides old and yet i haven't any crashes yet.

If anyone has any idea please let me know, I'm hoping it's nothing serious/bad as it's only 4 days old and I'm kind of worrying.

Thanks!

Ben

Here's a picture to show where:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/8492653/

hi i have had the same thing with mine, just ridden it once so far and just got home to find this creak coming from the linkage area i have tryed all of the above but its still there and pissing me off, any ideas of how to sort it? cheers

I've had my bike about 7 weeks now and it's still creaking and it's really loud and it's pissing me off too, I've been told it could be that there is a little bit of dirt trapped in between the linkages but that doesn't make sense as you haven't even ridden it yet, someone else said it could be that it needs greasing but yet again our bikes are new..and someone else said it could be that the bearing are messed up...none of those things seem likely for a new bike and it's really bugging me as i want to know what it is!
only thing likely for a new bike is the shock bushes or you have yourself a cracked frame Smile

Posted: Sep 10, 2012 at 12:28 Quote
Gavin198 wrote:
motorcrosser12 wrote:
mikep1210 wrote:

only thing likely for a new bike is the shock bushes or you have yourself a cracked frame Smile

Ohh well that's just brilliant... I'll try taking it apart and regressing it as I haven't done that yet, then if it still does it I'm going to go and cry in a bush...

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 3:29 Quote
Yeh i just got a new scalp aswell and on my second day of riding came down from the bottom of a dh run started pedalling on the road and it was creaking really bugs me and still havent managed to fix it! if anyone fixes theirs please let me know so ii know what to do!

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 3:53 Quote
banchoryMTB wrote:
Yeh i just got a new scalp aswell and on my second day of riding came down from the bottom of a dh run started pedalling on the road and it was creaking really bugs me and still havent managed to fix it! if anyone fixes theirs please let me know so ii know what to do!
Just the bushes wearing in bit of wd40 not too much would sort it for now

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 13:15 Quote
check the crossbar on the rear swing arm (the one bolted on the rear swing arm near the shock base). a friend of mine has to pack that up with grease every few days because the clicking issues.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5293/5556461032_2b3eddbbb5_z.jpg

Posted: Sep 16, 2012 at 15:00 Quote
I have an update/important message about this! So please read!

A friend of mine phoned up Nukeproof for me, as I didn't really know what to say and a friend of his also has this problem with his nukeproof scalp, so he phoned up for the both of us so we could find out what the noise is and what we could do.

Nukeproof told my friend that the noise is coming from the crossbar (what Kixx said above me), you can see what the crossbar is in the link of the picture that Kixx gave us, it's the long black bar that's bolted down/attached by the 2 bolts on each side.

But anyway, Nukeproof said that the clicking/creaking noise is coming from there and that to get rid of that noise you have to take it off and re-grease that area and then put the crossbar back on. I know I've explained it badly but that's what the problem is, I haven't re greased it yet but my friend has and the noise has stopped, and apparently this has occurred with a lot of the nukeproof scalps!

Hope this helps, sorry for the crap explanation/message!

Posted: Jul 2, 2013 at 12:56 Quote
I have the same issue but the creak is coming from the top shock mount, I have had bushes replaced in shock and all bearings changed in the frame.

The bit that you mean is it the part that bolts through the linkage at the top?

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 4:34 Quote
gazza82 wrote:
I have the same issue but the creak is coming from the top shock mount, I have had bushes replaced in shock and all bearings changed in the frame.

The bit that you mean is it the part that bolts through the linkage at the top?

My description will be terrible, I'll take a picture this evening when I get home and post it in this thread with a red circle around the part i meant. Did find out the problem on my bike and just needs re-greasing pretty often which is irritating.

Posted: Jul 3, 2013 at 10:57 Quote
Could possibly be the pin that u press into the shock. Mine was out of line by about .5mm and was squeaking like fu#k!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027274
Mobile Version of Website