Powered by Outside

Avid Elixer 5

• Next Page
Posted: Apr 24, 2013 at 21:40 Quote
My saints were $15 at a swap meet.. I kinda lucked out though.

Posted: Apr 25, 2013 at 9:16 Quote
Dang, yeah you did! Smile

Posted: Apr 30, 2013 at 1:11 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
It's kind of a hit or miss brake set, either you run them without any issues for multiple years, or you have problems from the first ride and on and on ...

Full Agree. There are two things amazing me at the moment. One, how great NoTubes Tubless works on my own bike and second, how good the Avid brakes work on my wifes bike. Or even that they work at all.

I had awful experience with avid discs so far and feared that the first thing I will need to change on her bike are the brakes for some shimano ones. But so far, they perform nicely.

Posted: Apr 30, 2013 at 10:34 Quote
Sweet, yeah I took em out riding again last week and they still seem to be going good.
DonPromillo wrote:
Ploutre wrote:
It's kind of a hit or miss brake set, either you run them without any issues for multiple years, or you have problems from the first ride and on and on ...

Full Agree. There are two things amazing me at the moment. One, how great NoTubes Tubless works on my own bike and second, how good the Avid brakes work on my wifes bike. Or even that they work at all.

I had awful experience with avid discs so far and feared that the first thing I will need to change on her bike are the brakes for some shimano ones. But so far, they perform nicely.

Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 11:38 Quote
Since we are talking about issues with the elixir 5s, i thought id post some of my own and see if anyone has some advice..... After about a half season of moderate riding, i found that my avids have started to die on me. I have to pump the brakes to get them to engage, but after that the modulation/preasure holds. Its not like there is air on the brake system, it is not spongy, but needs to be pumped to work, Ive bleed them out twice but they don't want to work.... any ideas??

Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 18:14 Quote
I've had air in my system that caused the brakes to pump up.
Still had crazy stopping power and didn't feel spongy they just pumped up.
Fluid was old and had a bit of air the mechanic said it depends on where in the system the air pocket is as well. In the hose or the top of the master cylinder

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 19:43 Quote
sorry, misread dates

Posted: Nov 4, 2013 at 20:38 Quote
Not too sure, sorry. I have been riding with them mine still and I have found that they're not too bad for what they are. But I think that I have experienced that same issue with them a little bit, but maybe not as bad. I know this doesn't help any, but it would seem that there has got to be an issue with air somewhere within the breaks as Kent mentioned. Not sure why pumping gets then to engage though. Perhaps it's an issue with the calipers themselves? I'm not a mechanic, but if there is no air in the lines than maybe it's the calipers. I will say though mechanical issues aside, if they are working properly, even though they're not the top of the line, they're actually not to bad for what they are and if you can get them serviced up and working properly they will do the job. Just get some good rotors and break pads and they'll do the job.

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 at 23:24 Quote
right on thanks guys i'll bleed em again and really tap all the air bubbles out of both the caliper and lever...see what happens. Ive had avids before, and been really happy, maybe just a faulty system.

Posted: Nov 7, 2013 at 11:10 Quote
csquared253 wrote:
Since we are talking about issues with the elixir 5s, i thought id post some of my own and see if anyone has some advice..... After about a half season of moderate riding, i found that my avids have started to die on me. I have to pump the brakes to get them to engage, but after that the modulation/preasure holds. Its not like there is air on the brake system, it is not spongy, but needs to be pumped to work, Ive bleed them out twice but they don't want to work.... any ideas??

seals at the lever/ cylinder somewhere took a poo.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028959
Mobile Version of Website