Powered by Outside

Flats or Clipped?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Flats or Clipped?
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
superfly wrote:
Why is anyone even having this conversation / debate?
It should already be in your genes, i.e If you are gay or rollerskate then clip in.
Otherwise flat pedals.

Simple as that.

Now go out and ride your bikes and stop wasting your time on these bike forums. Can any of you actually ride?? I've been out trail bossing most of today so thats my excuse for coming on here and only after "Spoiledgoods" pointed you lot in my direction..

Don't bother replying to my blurb, i'm off to the pub with the young lady and won't be returning to this post again.

Over to you cheesecakes..

Si Paton..

Watch out! I think your lady might be a man.
And who the f*ck still own rollerblades?

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
wtf this guy is a goon.....if u dnt like getting rattled around wear clips the yalso make u very smooth..flats are good if u gota ditch fast and if u have weird footing on the4 pedals
superfly wrote:
Why is anyone even having this conversation / debate?
It should already be in your genes, i.e If you are gay or rollerskate then clip in.
Otherwise flat pedals.

Simple as that.

Now go out and ride your bikes and stop wasting your time on these bike forums. Can any of you actually ride?? I've been out trail bossing most of today so thats my excuse for coming on here and only after "Spoiledgoods" pointed you lot in my direction..

Don't bother replying to my blurb, i'm off to the pub with the young lady and won't be returning to this post again.

Over to you cheesecakes..

Si Paton..

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 10:37 Quote
I ride flats, i like my joints intact, plus i ride with my arches over my pedal axles...

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 10:44 Quote
here's something to think about:

like a few people on here, i ride the don trails regularly enough. now there are some xc-ass bikes on there. i'm talking bladed spokes, carbon/ti everything, lighter than a chihuahua's fart basically. now these bikes, you would think, would have like ti eggbeaters, right? no. everyone i know that rides the don valley runs flat pedals.

just food for thought

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 11:01 Quote
These blokes with their light bikes sure dont race xc then. You need those clips to pull on the up stroke - 2x the power! Same goes with DH. It makes you pedal better more efficient and use less energy. My clips are set very loose so i can unclip and clip in in a fraction of a second. Also teaches you to lean and not to stick your foot out all the times around tight corners.

nwd26 wrote:

like a few people on here, i ride the don trails regularly enough. now there are some xc-ass bikes on there. i'm talking bladed spokes, carbon/ti everything, lighter than a chihuahua's fart basically. now these bikes, you would think, would have like ti eggbeaters, right? no. everyone i know that rides the don valley runs flat pedals.

just food for thought

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 11:25 Quote
I roll with flats and 5/10 lows, mainly because I'm still a dodgey rider, so I need to be able to throw the foot out for balance to catch myself. Also I dunno how secure I'd feel being clipped in, because people can say they can ditch fast with clips, but some beatdowns occur so fast I'm sure that wouldn't be the case and the results would not be pretty.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 15:35 Quote
bombtrack wrote:
These blokes with their light bikes sure dont race xc then. You need those clips to pull on the up stroke - 2x the power! Same goes with DH. It makes you pedal better more efficient and use less energy. My clips are set very loose so i can unclip and clip in in a fraction of a second. Also teaches you to lean and not to stick your foot out all the times around tight corners.

nwd26 wrote:

just food for thought
i never ride with my foot out it has caused crahsing for me leaning also make you faster and teaches you balance.

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 15:42 Quote
flats

sam hill nuff said

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 15:45 Quote
sammy uses them cuz he likes to and he likes to be able to stick out his feet in turns alot, have u seen him turn i wouldnt do those without stiking my foot out

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 15:47 Quote
Well when you fall sideways the foots natural reaction is to stick straight out sideways to stop you falling, and this mimics what you do when clipping out of clips. I don't even think about unclipping when I crash and my feet will still unclip, I.e. yesterday I was railing a loose corner and it was obviously too loose (bloody slack australian builders) so I fell, feet unclipped and the only thing I was thinking about was how much dirt am I having for dinner.
Also you can adjust the cleat to your preffered spot and it stays there becuase these stupid little rocks and roots won't bounce your feet everywhere. How many people who are saying flats FTW have actually ridden cleats for long enough (like more than a week)? I've ridden both, flats for 1 1/2 years and clips for 1/2 a year.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 15:58 Quote
Fatass-of-oz wrote:
Well when you fall sideways the foots natural reaction is to stick straight out sideways to stop you falling, and this mimics what you do when clipping out of clips. I don't even think about unclipping when I crash and my feet will still unclip, I.e. yesterday I was railing a loose corner and it was obviously too loose (bloody slack australian builders) so I fell, feet unclipped and the only thing I was thinking about was how much dirt am I having for dinner.
Also you can adjust the cleat to your preffered spot and it stays there becuase these stupid little rocks and roots won't bounce your feet everywhere. How many people who are saying flats FTW have actually ridden cleats for long enough (like more than a week)? I've ridden both, flats for 1 1/2 years and clips for 1/2 a year.
thats true and i no how those trails are itss no fun having a berm collaps on u wat clips should i get for racing dh?

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
I'm using DX shoes ($120 AU) and I think VT-133's ($100 AU). I didn't want to spend an absolute heap on clips incase I didn't like them, but I might get DX clips when these are kapoot

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 16:51 Quote
thanx kapoot.... havent used that in a while just another word not in the dictionary to piss of my english teacher yay

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 22:54 Quote
Sam is lightning fast and i dont think theres any rider out there with the right medicine for him this season. Imagine he learned to ride clipped in! He would be even faster

irishdhlad wrote:
flats

sam hill nuff said

Posted: Jan 4, 2008 at 22:57 Quote
Crank Bros Mallets or Shimano Dx SPD

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008296
Mobile Version of Website