Powered by Outside

Octane One Zircus DJ Build

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Octane One Zircus DJ Build
Posted: Oct 5, 2013 at 13:06 Quote
Still undecided. I don't need power, I just need the brake to scrub my speed about 5% most of the time.

Posted: Oct 12, 2013 at 7:36 Quote
your bike looks awsome Big Grin and where did you order you frame cuz i want the same color but cant seam to find one

Posted: Oct 13, 2013 at 15:45 Quote
Thanks. I got it from Chain Reaction. It looks like the blue color is sold out. Maybe you can find a 2014 model in blue.

Posted: Oct 14, 2013 at 13:47 Quote
I got a kore repute 35mm stem. I like it. It's light and looks good. I doubt it's as stiff as my havoc stem on my GT, but it'll work for what I need.

I ordered some Deore M615 brakes. They were cheaper than BB7s, and they get rave reviews.

I also ordered some NS terra bars. The price was too good to pass up. The bike should be 100% done by Friday, I'll get some new pics then.

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 14:41 Quote
youre gonna love the brakes (ive never had a set of shimanos myself), but every bike i ride that has a set, i find myself wanting a pair!

ive got the older terra bars on my bike, they were a huge difference between the answer 720 AM bars they replaced, in a good way. much stiffer as well, my 720 AMs felt like a noodle =/

oh, are you shimming the bars? or do they now come in 35mm clamp?

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 14:42 Quote
I think you could've discussed this at the O1 thread

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 14:43 Quote
but, but, but... pictures.

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 14:44 Quote
I would've loved to see that build there

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 20:49 Quote
how much are those frames? i ride a banshee amp right now and i am switching my frame up next season ! thanks

Posted: Oct 20, 2013 at 21:47 Quote
last i checked they were 180-190 USD on CRC.. i would have bought one already, but i ride far too much street =(

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 7:36 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:
oh, are you shimming the bars? or do they now come in 35mm clamp?

No, my stem is 31.8mm diameter, 35mm long. I'm not loving the Kore stem. It feels ok on the bike, but when tightening it, the aluminum feels pretty soft. I wish I had gone with a 35mm easton havoc. I may still buy one and swap it out. I love the havoc bar/stem combo on my mountain bike.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 7:37 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I think you could've discussed this at the O1 thread

I'll post it there once it's done. I should have my brake tonight, then it'll be done and I can take some finished pics. I've been riding it on my pump track all week, but since it doesn't have a brake yet, I've been holding back quite a bit. I never realized how much I use my brake to save me before a crash. There's no way I could ever run brakeless for good.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 7:40 Quote
thekayo wrote:
how much are those frames? i ride a banshee amp right now and i am switching my frame up next season ! thanks

Mine was around $190. That being said, I think there are better built frames out there. It's a good looking bike, and it rides great, but the attention to detail on the construction just isn't there. There's dust in the clear coat, drops in the clearcoat, bubbles in the powdercoat, and poor pipe fitting. The welds are mediocre.

If I were blindfolded, I wouldn't be able to tell a difference. Let's hope it holds up and doesn't have any issues. The geometry is dialed, I absolutely love it. My buddy has an NS Majesty Dirt, and they're very very similar in geo. The bike feels solid, I was just a little dissappointed with the small attention to detail that wasn't there.

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 9:31 Quote
While o1 isn't known for their paint quality, their frames are tits, and they are built in the same factory as ns so quality definitely is there

Posted: Oct 21, 2013 at 10:04 Quote
Don't get me wrong, for the price, it's a steal. But I'm not thrilled with the fit and finish of my frame or the welds. Am I going to replace it? No, not unless it breaks or develops issues.

I've heard that they're built in the same factory as NS, and I wanted to believe I was getting a cheaper Decade. The geo is quite similar, but I wasn't thrilled with the quality on the O1. I'm a welder and I can spot the difference between good fitment and welding, and poor fitment and poor welding. This O1 frame has medium quality welds, but the fitment is below average. I can see where my tubes were bent and kinked for fitment at the head tube, instead of being notched and flush prior to welding. While they may be built in the same factory as NS, I can see the poor fitment with my own eyes. Is it a crap frame? I don't think so. For the price, you can't beat it, and I don't expect I'll ever break anything. The poor fitment looks like it'll be good enough, and it doesn't look any weaker, just not quite what I've come to expect from working at a shop for 7+ years.

All that being said, it's a fun bike and I can't complain about the price. It rides great, and as long as it holds together, the fit and finish won't matter.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016485
Mobile Version of Website