Powered by Outside

How do you prevent a sore back from biking?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
How do you prevent a sore back from biking?
Posted: Jan 12, 2008 at 21:10 Quote
gjaan wrote:
i used to get really bad back pains too, to the point of not being able to bend over as i eventually pulled something in my back...
but what helps me, and i do it every day is to stretch ur hamstrings, because when they get to tight they pull on ur back muscle.

also when i switched from mtb to bmx my back pain got better- u dont get as much stress on it as u do on the big bike

Ya I noticed that as well. A lot of people say their back hurts more on a bmx bike but I think it hurts more on my mtb. I just like riding my mtb now though.

For your ham strings, do you just do the normal ham string strech with a towel and pulling your foot down?

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:06 Quote
Stretch before riding(toe touches, leaning back)
Stretch again after, Then smoke, Then a wickedly hot massage!!

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 10:45 Quote
Do exercises that will strengthen your core trunk muscle's, such as push ups, the plank and dorsal raises 2 name a few will all help.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:03 Quote
Basic fitness here kids you need to build core strength and flexibility. Get yourself down to the local Dojo and get some maritial arts training. There is no better overall workout for flexibility and strength. Just make sure you find a school that suits you . Im talking asian traditional arts not cage fighting Yoga would also be good

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:13 Quote
i used to get sore backs all the time after riding, so i went to my LBS one day looking for a few parts and brought it up. all you need to do is bring your seat forward or get a shorter stem. if your stem is already as short as it can go and your seat can't move any far forward, its just for frame is to big for you.

if that doesn't help you probably had a back injury before. i nearly broke my back on a trampoline, but i just hiperextended all of my back muscles, which is like ripping them apart. every morning try doing back specific stretches. i do them even if my back isn't bothering me and it helps you wake up as well as avoid back pains. you could also go for accupuncture or see a chiropractor. accupuncture helps alot because it takes away the preasure from your muscles. the reason i say a chirpractor is it might just be your back is out of place from slouching at school and then when you jump on a bike your stretching your back the way its not used to.

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 11:45 Quote
mmm...higher your seat for a long treck jsut above your bars and that will feel good but look UBER GAY!! or sit like a pillock very straight like a plank..lolWhip Beer

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 17:32 Quote
noxy wrote:
In our generation, we have exercised less than before. It is proven that young people don't have as much abdominal muscle, unlike the old days.
Thus making our back work more.
this guy is right, i know there boring but do situps and back hypers(lay on yoru stomach and raise your feet and head, with yoru hands on yoru head) with about a 2 situps per back hyper ratio oh and the martial arts comment is cool to

Posted: Jan 13, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
well i get the same problem in my back but thats just because i have kidney problems from a fight and its obthers me alot when i ride trails for the day, just stretch it out and stuff and it should be good

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 7:11 Quote
Once again no one has really listened to his problem...

He is only sitting 20% of the time.
Lower left back is where his pain is. (every time you ride?)
He has not mentioned how aggressive of rider he is, or his body build (ex. Height weight, top heavy, medium build, fat?)
He has made no comment on what bike he is riding.

I assume you are on some sort of dirtjump frame, what is it?

Frame material, top tube length and stem length can make a large difference in comfort, during and after a ride.

I have dealt with a lot of lower back pain on some of my old bikes, give us some more info and maybe I can help.

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 8:29 Quote
If you don`t already run a taller handlebar or flip your stem so it is higher. Worked for me.

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
If you put your back out of business, there are a few simple things you can do instead of paying to visit a chiropractors.

If you have a little sister or brother, lie down flat on the floor with your back relaxed, chest down, and get them to slowly walk down the middle of your back top to bottom a couple of times. This will really help re-align your back.

Also if you have a pull up bar or a roof beam that is high enough for you to hold onto with your feet off the floor then this is an awesome one. Grab the bar making sure your feet are not touching the floor. Now gradally relax your back and you will feel the clicking and cracking as your spine seperates out and re-aligns itself.

My dad was working under a car when the jack broke and teh car fell onto his back he really screwed his back up. His doctor told him these excersises to do.

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 9:30 Quote
I had lower back pains and neck pains when i was riding street, tured out it was my bars. They were the wrong width (too wide) and backsweep (too straight). It was making my back muscles strain to compensate. Bought some sunlines and now no problems!

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 15:19 Quote
Specialeded wrote:
Once again no one has really listened to his problem...

He is only sitting 20% of the time.
Lower left back is where his pain is. (every time you ride?)
He has not mentioned how aggressive of rider he is, or his body build (ex. Height weight, top heavy, medium build, fat?)
He has made no comment on what bike he is riding.

I assume you are on some sort of dirtjump frame, what is it?

Frame material, top tube length and stem length can make a large difference in comfort, during and after a ride.

I have dealt with a lot of lower back pain on some of my old bikes, give us some more info and maybe I can help.

Ya I probly should have stated more about my self. I am 15, 5ft 9in, 160 pounds. I mostly ride street everyday but I also ride park and djs on the weekends and time off from school.

Here is my bike: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=15999&pagenum=1

Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 15:22 Quote
I never read that your only sitting 20% of the time. I got my lower backpain from sitting down and riding long distances (25km on my DJ bike sometimes). Thats when the lower back pain started to develop. To the thing my pysiotherapist where you sit up straight and he tapes your back to restrict slouching. Raising your seat 1" will make a world of difference to!

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 14, 2008 at 15:31 Quote
I ride so hard that my other body parts(arms,legs,wrists, etc...) hurt enough that I don't even notice my back.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020164
Mobile Version of Website