Powered by Outside

MARZOCCHI SUPER MONSTER

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
MARZOCCHI SUPER MONSTER
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 16:36 Quote
ya totaly go with the 888Pimp

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 18:43 Quote
well im not completely sure about this but aren't the super monsters the forks that the axle is mounted like 2 or 3 inches from the bottom of the lowers? because if they are then it wouldn't really be like putting a 12" fork on your bike, more like putting a 9" travel fork on your bike which is only one inch out of recommended height on all DH bikes so depending on your frame im thinking that would be okay.
But do you REALLY need 12" of travel? because having a heavy front end sucks.
Cheers,
Josh

Posted: Oct 3, 2007 at 21:56 Quote
viperd91 wrote:
my head tube is built like mad and if i snap my head tube im gunna through my old forks back on it to bring it in hahaha im trickyBig Grin

Because you'd be the first person to try to slip that one past them. Anyone who knows metal can look at a joint and give a pretty accurate explanation why it failed.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
They aren't the easiest fork to find, that's for sure, but If you're dead set on one, then buy it. Just read what other have said. For almost everything, it is too big, too heavy, too much travel, too much rake, and just un-practical. Unless you are hucking off 50ft. cliffs, you really dont need that much travel. Most of the higher end (an even some of the lower end) 8" travel forks can be tuned so that they can handle what you may think only a 12" fork could handle.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 13:22 Quote
if you are bender than this is the fork for you,so not it's pointless to run these fork's unless you have a frame build for the Super monster.I love to see one off those super monsters onto a MX bike with much stiffer springs.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 14:12 Quote
trekrules wrote:
I love to see one off those super monsters onto a MX bike with much stiffer springs.
I wouldn't...ewww

My YZ250 has a 12"(ish) inverted fork...you couldn't pay me to run a super monster on it.

The cool thing that you COULD(not saying do it) do with super monster is make the "stickiest" DH bike around. Think about a V-10, 10" travel, 4" sag 6" upwards. If you did the same with a super monster, think about riding with 4" of sag and 8" left...your wheels would never come off the ground.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 20:38 Quote
mastersapper wrote:
trekrules wrote:
I love to see one off those super monsters onto a MX bike with much stiffer springs.
I wouldn't...ewww

My YZ250 has a 12"(ish) inverted fork...you couldn't pay me to run a super monster on it.

The cool thing that you COULD(not saying do it) do with super monster is make the "stickiest" DH bike around. Think about a V-10, 10" travel, 4" sag 6" upwards. If you did the same with a super monster, think about riding with 4" of sag and 8" left...your wheels would never come off the ground.

Eek dear god..

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 20:42 Quote
kilpatrick wrote:
i would not recommend this fork. Get a Monster T2 instead if youre dead set on them. 12" is was too much length and rake on your bike. T2s are buttery beautiful. But then 888's are really smooth too.

t2? lawl. you've got to be kidding.

Posted: Oct 4, 2007 at 21:01 Quote
Just run a massive amount of sag, and it will be the same as any other bike. its cool to have TONS of travel and a friend or mine rode super monsters and he said it was the smoothest fork of ALL TIME.

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 at 0:36 Quote
Ok, now that we've heard from all the "experts" I'll share my experience since I have actually owned a set.

I thrashed my 888rc over the course of the 2006 summer riding season at Diablo. It was beat so I sold it for peanuts to some kid, and got on PB to find a new fork. I saw this beast, the seller was a 2 hour drive from me and the price was much lower than I expected. I knew it was not likely I'd ever had a chance to own one again, and since it was the winter season, I would not be riding all that much anyway. I justified the purchase figuring I could sell it for a profit and buy a new fork and some other gear in the spring. (which is exactly what I did)

photo

Honestly, guys. Sorry to dissapoint you, but it's really nothing crazy. Here you see it mounted to my 2005 Giant DH Comp. It's a race bike, not a Scream, or Karpiel. It didn't rake out (too much) ruin my geometry, or make my bike difficult to ride. It also did not snap my head tube off.

I got plenty of chances to ride it over the winter too. It was a bad ski season, and my buddies and I shuttled Blue Knob, our local mountain right up until mid-december. I took it down the same DH trails I always did, plenty of jumps, drops, hucks, etc.

The best description I can give for how it feels is a plusher, smoother version of the 8" Monster T. As I said, it doesn't "rake out" on a normal DH bike, but it does make a significant change in the geometry. The wheel base is extended and the center of gravity is lifted. It tracks well when your going fast, the front wheel stays down, and you feel like you are on rails carving turns and gobbles up every little bump you encounter, but my bike felt really wobbley and cumbersome at low-speeds. As you'd expect, you tend land a little nose-heavy off hucks, but this is not a problem. No matter how high you drop, it eats the impact right up, and is still 2" away from bottoming out.

I wouldn't race with it, but it is definatly a fun fork to ride.

If you are thinking about buying one, go for it! You will always be able to sell it again if you don't like it. I wish I still had mine.

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 at 12:47 Quote
windsorbighitrider wrote:
mastersapper wrote:
trekrules wrote:
I wouldn't...ewww

Eek dear god..

well,with that much weight, its not like the bike is going to get off the ground anyway

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 at 16:34 Quote
windsorbighitrider wrote:
mastersapper wrote:
trekrules wrote:
I wouldn't...ewww

Eek dear god..

Funny you should react like that, there was actually a guy in Windsor years back that had either a Super Monster or it was the 8" Monster on a V-10. Anyone who's been to Windsor can understand how terrible that is.

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 19:21 Quote
WerewolfDH wrote:
Ok, now that we've heard from all the "experts" I'll share my experience since I have actually owned a set.

I thrashed my 888rc over the course of the 2006 summer riding season at Diablo. It was beat so I sold it for peanuts to some kid, and got on PB to find a new fork. I saw this beast, the seller was a 2 hour drive from me and the price was much lower than I expected. I knew it was not likely I'd ever had a chance to own one again, and since it was the winter season, I would not be riding all that much anyway. I justified the purchase figuring I could sell it for a profit and buy a new fork and some other gear in the spring. (which is exactly what I did)

photo

Honestly, guys. Sorry to dissapoint you, but it's really nothing crazy. Here you see it mounted to my 2005 Giant DH Comp. It's a race bike, not a Scream, or Karpiel. It didn't rake out (too much) ruin my geometry, or make my bike difficult to ride. It also did not snap my head tube off.

I got plenty of chances to ride it over the winter too. It was a bad ski season, and my buddies and I shuttled Blue Knob, our local mountain right up until mid-december. I took it down the same DH trails I always did, plenty of jumps, drops, hucks, etc.

The best description I can give for how it feels is a plusher, smoother version of the 8" Monster T. As I said, it doesn't "rake out" on a normal DH bike, but it does make a significant change in the geometry. The wheel base is extended and the center of gravity is lifted. It tracks well when your going fast, the front wheel stays down, and you feel like you are on rails carving turns and gobbles up every little bump you encounter, but my bike felt really wobbley and cumbersome at low-speeds. As you'd expect, you tend land a little nose-heavy off hucks, but this is not a problem. No matter how high you drop, it eats the impact right up, and is still 2" away from bottoming out.

I wouldn't race with it, but it is definatly a fun fork to ride.

If you are thinking about buying one, go for it! You will always be able to sell it again if you don't like it. I wish I still had mine.

I know this post is really old, but i was just looking some things on the super monster, nd this is the best comment I've seen about this fork. Honestly man, thank you for taking the time to explain about the fork, even if you didnt like it, at least you road it before and explained the problems, or what was good. I hate when guys just go out of there way and bash the fork nd say its junk, heavy, overkill, will snap your headtube, etc etc, and they have never even seen one in person, let alone road one.

That Dh team Giant looked pretty gnarly with that super on er btw ahah.

Posted: Jun 30, 2010 at 12:29 Quote
it weighs nearly 6 kg and no one needs it even Bender didn´t bottommed out a Risse Bigfoot wich is 300 mm travel and 5kg and probably a bit less smoother

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.293902
Mobile Version of Website