Powered by Outside

dealing with asthma

• Next Page
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 4:56 Quote
Just load up on steroids, forget the long term health effects, that will keep your asthma at bay. lol

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 5:28 Quote
Steroids wont actually help!

Posted: Feb 17, 2008 at 5:39 Quote
are you sure? Prednisone and dexemethesone (steroids) have been used to treat acute asthma exacerbation for ever, with very good results. not as good as chocolate though. lol

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:06 Quote
My asthma used to be really really bad. And worse I had bronchitis too.
But I just started running everyday after school. Of course I would choke, gag, cough and it felt like I was going to puke.

But I kept at it and soon my body adapted, I no longer needed my puffer and my coughing slowly decreased.
Its much better now, I still cough once in awhile but my lungs have adapted and its way better now.

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:15 Quote
kylemtb wrote:
I had it from the day i was born im 14 now and its GONE its weird it doesnt bother me at all anymore.. ive just kept running and training and its gone away

Yes, asthma has a tendancy to do that, perhaps if you just wait, it will go away, but if not, ask your doctor for prednazone, it works good.Beer

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:31 Quote
u dont need steroids lol, just keep active and take your puffer when needed, my doctor says if i keep exercising like i do (ride everyday, jog that sort of things)then my asthma will be gone by im 19.happy days

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:37 Quote
My asthma is here for the long term... Frown My lung capacity was put back a long time by bad rib breakages.... I have to have 3X400mg doses just to keep up with an unfit person....

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:43 Quote
dang, well i suppose an asthmatic can do as much downhill as he/she wants and asthma cant get in the way

Posted: Feb 23, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
hodges wrote:
just wondering if you guys out there who have asthma have any hints or tips on things i can do b4 i go riding.... i have no problem with breathing until the point where i start jumping my bikes or smashing my way down hills. im sick of trying to put everything i got into hitting the tracks when by the end of it im gasping for air

thanks adam

i just take my seretide before and with me wen i ride

if you feel the need to take it then just do

the best way to deal with asthma is to deal with it by taking your inhalers when you are supposed to and when you feel out of breadth

Posted: Sep 23, 2008 at 16:13 Quote
dont smoke.

ive had asthma and heyfever me whole life, the higher the pollen count the worse my asthma is personally. same with gettin pissed, the day im hungover i cant breathe well n have been in hospital twice this summer as a result of being unable to breathe which is fairly sh*t.

i have found that if i go swimming regularly and build up my lung and thus cardiovascular strength/ability i get less frequent problem and can ride better and longer as a result.

take a couple of puffs on you ventolin before you go riding, preferably with a spacer device if youve got one of them. if not, they are available at pharmacies.

i always have an inhaler on me and usually have one spare in the car incase i lose the one in me pocket/bag.

eating healthy, do regular cardio excrecise, drinking less alcohol and not smoking anything... will help you out.

ride safe

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
irishdhlad wrote:
hodges wrote:
just wondering if you guys out there who have asthma have any hints or tips on things i can do b4 i go riding.... i have no problem with breathing until the point where i start jumping my bikes or smashing my way down hills. im sick of trying to put everything i got into hitting the tracks when by the end of it im gasping for air

thanks adam

i just take my seretide before and with me wen i ride

if you feel the need to take it then just do

the best way to deal with asthma is to deal with it by taking your inhalers when you are supposed to and when you feel out of breadth

Yea, ok...but i haven't just let the drugs win. Recent results show these medications creating heart problems. I am not a believer in taking it before, and never have been. Why take it when a problem has not yet occurred? That said there are many different varying levels of asthma, some much worse. When i was still having regular attacks i used my Ventolin a lot, and after 5 years or so use, my body was almost completely immune to one puff, and i would have to up my dose for the same effect. Which is more harmful chemicals going in to you. Now that i only use it occasionally i am no longer immune to that dose, and it works, and perhaps if even too strong.
So basically what im saying is, watch out, the medical system is not always such a wonderful thing, they certainly are for mechanical stuff, like the ACL replacement i had, but they also give us loads of really harmful chemicals, with some pretty harmful side effects. Try and use water (small sips do help), chocolate and coffee, or if its not really bad, just wait through it, sit down and relax with some water, and it can pass away without any medication.

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 10:17 Quote
i agree with that but some poeple is alot worse than other people who think they have asthma but just wheeze slighty not actually and physically cnt breathe.

but yeah stay off any drug for as long as you can.

but for me prevention is better than cure. if i have couple of puffs before a ride i wont need to stop as often, if ever and have to wait, relax and have sips of water that helps.

you know bill hicks once said.... 'not all drugs are good.... some of em are great!'

Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
keep your puffer close to you. I keep it in a pocket in my shorts

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 24, 2008 at 11:17 Quote
i have asthma. i dont use my inhalers, ride till you die!! xDD lol. nah just stay relaxed and constantly maintain a steady breathing rate, push yourself, but not too hard

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012800
Mobile Version of Website