Powered by Outside

Questions about a 1x10 conversion

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Questions about a 1x10 conversion
Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 13:00 Quote
Cmac101 wrote:
So I did some research on the RADr cage and it's basically just a new housing for the rear derailleur that makes it shift smoother with a 1x and a 42t?

The RADr cage shifts the upper cage pulley axle back and down so that a derailleur designed with a 36t max cog in mind can handle a 42t max cog. You can make the stock derailleur "work", and by "work" I mean it will get the chain to the 42t cog...but to use the word "shift" to describe the action would be doing a major disservice to drivetrains everywhere. You'll never get anywhere near satisfactory shifting without the RADr. With it, you can have stock-perfect shifting.

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 13:32 Quote
Couldn't agree more TR. Smile

Posted: Jan 11, 2016 at 16:47 Quote
Personally I'm running a oneup 32t oval NW with oneup 42t extended cog and Radr cage with my XT derailleur. Im a big fan of the quality of the oneup components, it might be a little more pricey compared to some others but its worth it IMO. I never did try to use my 42t cog with the XT derailleur without the Radr, incase your curious so I dont know how sucky it would be but sounds pretty bad.

I did run a sram x9 with 42t extended cog and it worked flawless as well. No modification to the derailleur at all.

I have a Marin as well. 2014 attack trail.

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 at 12:03 Quote
If I was to add a 42t ring to my cassette, do you have to take off one of the other gears like the 11t or something?

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 at 12:08 Quote
Cmac101 wrote:
If I was to add a 42t ring to my cassette, do you have to take off one of the other gears like the 11t or something?

The OneUp 42t comes with a 16t cog to replace your 15t and 17t cogs and even out the gap. It works perfectly. So you remove your 15t and 17t cogs and replace them with the 16t and 42t.

Posted: Jan 12, 2016 at 13:02 Quote
TheRaven wrote:
Cmac101 wrote:

The OneUp 42t comes with a 16t cog to replace your 15t and 17t cogs and even out the gap. It works perfectly. So you remove your 15t and 17t cogs and replace them with the 16t and 42t.

I did this on my Scott Scale 900 Premium along with the radr cage on the xtr deraileur and the oneup 30t narrow wide chainring. Works very well and the gear spacings aren't too bad with the 42 and the 16t replacing the 15t and 17t. I highly recommend it!

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2016 at 10:30 Quote
You DEFINITELY want the RADr cage, if you want to be able to rely on your drivetrain.

I would not use a 40 or 42t add-on cog without the RADr cage, or the Wolftooth GOAT link.[/Quote]

I'm currently trying to fine tune my 1x10 drivetrain, all done with XT. I was looking into the One Up RAD, it says it is intended for a mid-range RD, I happen to have a long cage...will this have any affect if I install the RAD?

Posted: Jan 14, 2016 at 10:49 Quote
PiP0228 wrote:
You DEFINITELY want the RADr cage, if you want to be able to rely on your drivetrain.

I would not use a 40 or 42t add-on cog without the RADr cage, or the Wolftooth GOAT link.

I'm currently trying to fine tune my 1x10 drivetrain, all done with XT. I was looking into the One Up RAD, it says it is intended for a mid-range RD, I happen to have a long cage...will this have any affect if I install the RAD?[/Quote]
If you buy the radr cage it will take the place of your long cage. That's exactly what I did with my xtr long cage deraileur.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2016 at 10:53 Quote
brit955 wrote:
PiP0228 wrote:

I would not use a 40 or 42t add-on cog without the RADr cage, or the Wolftooth GOAT link.

I'm currently trying to fine tune my 1x10 drivetrain, all done with XT. I was looking into the One Up RAD, it says it is intended for a mid-range RD, I happen to have a long cage...will this have any affect if I install the RAD?
If you buy the radr cage it will take the place of your long cage. That's exactly what I did with my xtr long cage deraileur.[/Quote]

Perfect, thanks!

Posted: Jan 16, 2016 at 5:46 Quote
OK one question..I just bought a new 1X10 drive train ...shifter ,rear derailleur short cage both shimano Zee ..11-36 tooth cassette ,chain and 36 tooth NWchainring...I have a 2010 rocky flatline FR just wondering how many chain links I should run ..I don't think I need all 116 links do I ...what chain length should I go with

Posted: Mar 2, 2016 at 8:16 Quote
foxrider74 wrote:
OK one question..I just bought a new 1X10 drive train ...shifter ,rear derailleur short cage both shimano Zee ..11-36 tooth cassette ,chain and 36 tooth NWchainring...I have a 2010 rocky flatline FR just wondering how many chain links I should run ..I don't think I need all 116 links do I ...what chain length should I go with

check this out for getting correct chain length:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt66xw-QbLU&list=PLXWBBaEdFtbInJIh9tjZPFn2guv-A2_JT&index=19

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 16:27 Quote
I got away with a 40T one up with no rad'r add on to my XT derailleur.
I feel like it was a waste of money though.30T on the front and the stock 36 on the back is fine for climbing the steep stuff.

Posted: Mar 8, 2016 at 19:05 Quote
Another option to point out to riders looking to make the switch to a 1x extended range drivetrain is the sunrace 11-42 10spd cassette. I havent had any experience with it, but Ive heard its decent (even though sunrace isnt exactly a boutique brand by any means)

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 12:21 Quote
csquared253 wrote:
Another option to point out to riders looking to make the switch to a 1x extended range drivetrain is the sunrace 11-42 10spd cassette. I havent had any experience with it, but Ive heard its decent (even though sunrace isnt exactly a boutique brand by any means)

I did a 1x10 upgrade about 2 months ago. I have a long cage Shimano XT rear derailleur and bought a Sunrace MS3 11t-42t cassete and 34t raceface narrow-wide chainring which I put on my existing cranks.

The derailleur works beautifully with no RADr cage smooth shifting all the way through right onto the 42t, I just screwed in the b-tension adjuster all the way in which drops the guide wheel back. I've got plenty of clearance on the 42t but maybe I'm lucky with the way my hanger sits or something? I may have heard talk of people putting a longer b screw in somewhere but I might be making that bit up!

The cassette itself is great so far. Only two months in I can't comment on durability but the ratio works really well. The spacing is not much different to a shimano 11-36t, basically you loose the 17t and 19t and get an 18t and 42t instead like this:

11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-42t
vs
11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36t

I find myself in 18 a lot so again maybe I'm just lucky again?

The narrow wide is also totally genius. So far I've only dropped my chain once on a particularly steep fast rocky descent - I would say its a must if you don't want to be adding a chain guide.

If you have a long cage already this seems to be by far the most cost effective and easiest way to make the switch.

Posted: Mar 18, 2016 at 9:31 Quote
faithinfriction wrote:
csquared253 wrote:

I did a 1x10 upgrade about 2 months ago. I have a long cage Shimano XT rear derailleur and bought a Sunrace MS3 11t-42t cassete and 34t raceface narrow-wide chainring which I put on my existing cranks.

The derailleur works beautifully with no RADr cage smooth shifting all the way through right onto the 42t, I just screwed in the b-tension adjuster all the way in which drops the guide wheel back. I've got plenty of clearance on the 42t but maybe I'm lucky with the way my hanger sits or something? I may have heard talk of people putting a longer b screw in somewhere but I might be making that bit up!

The cassette itself is great so far. Only two months in I can't comment on durability but the ratio works really well. The spacing is not much different to a shimano 11-36t, basically you loose the 17t and 19t and get an 18t and 42t instead like this:

11-13-15-18-21-24-28-32-36-42t
vs
11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36t

I find myself in 18 a lot so again maybe I'm just lucky again?

The narrow wide is also totally genius. So far I've only dropped my chain once on a particularly steep fast rocky descent - I would say its a must if you don't want to be adding a chain guide.

If you have a long cage already this seems to be by far the most cost effective and easiest way to make the switch.

Thats awesome to hear, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on sunrace cassette, it's nice to hear an real life review

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012991
Mobile Version of Website