Carbon cranks?

• Next Page
Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 3:50 Quote
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
Carbon cranks??? Yes, very worth it in my books. I have bashed many sets now. I have never had one "Explode" on me.

At Trestle park with the SR SUNTOUR guys. 3 turns into trestle dh and I blew a rock up with my pedal at speed. Destroyed the pedal crank arm and left chain stay.

A boulder strike on the non-drive side of my Demo. My left foot is my trail foot. I went slightly off line and as a result, destroyed a pedal spindle, stripped pedal treads and crank insert treads. Pedal insert was pulled out and the crank arm flexed inboard so much, it hit my chain stay creating the huge dent. Zero cracks or damage can be seen to the crank arm. I did do a lap on the bike afterwards, no flex but I couldn't stand the bent pedal. Replacement parts are ordered. Carbon Demo I, 2015

Chainstay flex causing chainring rub

Here you can see my aluminum rear triangle is flexing under sprints causing my chainring to rub the chainstay. The carbon cranks are holding great! Front triangle is carbon. It's a carbon enduro expert 2015.

That's awesome, not so much the damage to your bike but seeing the cranks hold up like that, thanks for the info!

Posted: Aug 13, 2017 at 7:15 Quote
Maxxxxxx wrote:
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
Carbon cranks??? Yes, very worth it in my books. I have bashed many sets now. I have never had one "Explode" on me.

At Trestle park with the SR SUNTOUR guys. 3 turns into trestle dh and I blew a rock up with my pedal at speed. Destroyed the pedal crank arm and left chain stay.

A boulder strike on the non-drive side of my Demo. My left foot is my trail foot. I went slightly off line and as a result, destroyed a pedal spindle, stripped pedal treads and crank insert treads. Pedal insert was pulled out and the crank arm flexed inboard so much, it hit my chain stay creating the huge dent. Zero cracks or damage can be seen to the crank arm. I did do a lap on the bike afterwards, no flex but I couldn't stand the bent pedal. Replacement parts are ordered. Carbon Demo I, 2015

Chainstay flex causing chainring rub

Here you can see my aluminum rear triangle is flexing under sprints causing my chainring to rub the chainstay. The carbon cranks are holding great! Front triangle is carbon. It's a carbon enduro expert 2015.

That's awesome, not so much the damage to your bike but seeing the cranks hold up like that, thanks for the info!

Yeah, I'm going to be due for new frames next year. But I will be going back to carbon for sure

Posted: May 31, 2020 at 13:45 Quote
Regarding the above rubbing of the chainring on the chainstay, I have the S-works enduro, same frame, I disagree, I can flex the bottom bracket area of that frame just by significantly loading the pedal with my foot while standing still over the bike... But I can do the same with a steel hardtail for what it’s worth...

I do however weigh over 210lbs and ride hard, but that frame also has a bad habit of sucking the chain up into that area at full compression which could cause that as well

Ymmv

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 16:32 Quote
SonofBovril wrote:
Regarding the above rubbing of the chainring on the chainstay, I have the S-works enduro, same frame, I disagree, I can flex the bottom bracket area of that frame just by significantly loading the pedal with my foot while standing still over the bike... But I can do the same with a steel hardtail for what it’s worth...

I do however weigh over 210lbs and ride hard, but that frame also has a bad habit of sucking the chain up into that area at full compression which could cause that as well

Ymmv

im at 190 and have broken, bent and had frames flex on bikes ranging from road bikes, bmx, and now mtb. I understand chain suck but, in some cases, it's just worn out frames. Chromo, alloy, ti, and steel frames with fresh drives installed

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014625
Mobile Version of Website