Powered by Outside

Best fork for dirt jumping?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Best fork for dirt jumping?
Posted: Nov 30, 2016 at 10:49 Quote
circus is best bang for your buck, I have heard good things about x-fusion velvet I believe is their dirt jumping fork as well as marz dj1, however idk how much those cost

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 16:09 Quote
This seems like a worthy topic to hash out. I know I went through it recently trying to find a DJ bike to buy.

From all my reading, it seemed like most people put forks in the following categories... curious what you guys think;

Best -

/RockShox Pike DJ and Fox 36 831 (Fox is tapered, some say that's good, others bad??)

Excellent -

RockShox Argyle RCT, Fox 34 831 and Marzocchi 55 Slope.

Great -

RockShox Argyle RC and early generation RockShox Pike, Marzocchi DJ1 and Manitou Circus Expert and Fox 36 Float series and Fox 32 831.

Good-

RockShox Argyle R, RockShox Pike 318 & 302 and the Fox float 34 series.

Decent -

Marzocchi DJ3 and Manitou Circus Comp.

Some of these I'm not really familiar with, I just listed them based on how they are discussed in a lot of the threads I've read. I'm also not sure where to put X-Fusion Slant or Vengeance, and then the Fox 32, 34 and 36 seem to have various designations that I'm not familiar with like Van/Vanilla etc.

We should be able to get an ordered list, pros and cons etc.. would help future riders/shoppers I think.

Posted: Apr 19, 2017 at 18:40 Quote
k831 wrote:
This seems like a worthy topic to hash out. I know I went through it recently trying to find a DJ bike to buy.

From all my reading, it seemed like most people put forks in the following categories... curious what you guys think;

Best -

/RockShox Pike DJ and Fox 36 831 (Fox is tapered, some say that's good, others bad??)

Excellent -

Great -

RockShox Argyle RC and early generation RockShox Pike, Marzocchi DJ1 and Manitou Circus Expert and Fox 36 Float series and Fox 32 831.

Good-

Decent -

Some of these I'm not really familiar with, I just listed them based on how they are discussed in a lot of the threads I've read. I'm also not sure where to put X-Fusion Slant or Vengeance, and then the Fox 32, 34 and 36 seem to have various designations that I'm not familiar with like Van/Vanilla etc.

We should be able to get an ordered list, pros and cons etc.. would help future riders/shoppers I think.

Pike dj and fox are bother the best. But the 831 are both tapered and straight while 34 is only tapered.
Dj1 and dj3s are good but way too heavy. 34 and the circus expert are best bang for the buck. 32 831 is crap, it flexes way to much for a dj.
Argyles are good. Not my favs thou.

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 19:36 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
k831 wrote:

Best -

Excellent -

Great -

Good-

Decent -

Pike dj and fox are bother the best. But the 831 are both tapered and straight while 34 is only tapered.
Dj1 and dj3s are good but way too heavy. 34 and the circus expert are best bang for the buck. 32 831 is crap, it flexes way to much for a dj.

That's good info. I've noticed that some of the fox series use the same number (32/34/36) but different names, like 36 float vs 36 vanilla. What's the difference?

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 19:42 Quote
Emma831 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
k831 wrote:

Best -

Excellent -

Great -

Good-

Decent -

That's good info. I've noticed that some of the fox series use the same number (32/34/36) but different names, like 36 float vs 36 vanilla. What's the difference?
831- dj slope 4x pump track specific
Vanilla - coil mtb
Float - air shock mtb
Talas - dual position travel air

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 19:58 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
Vanilla - coil mtb
Float - air shock mtb

That's super helpful. Are any a no go for a DJ or street/park bike?

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 20:03 Quote
Emma831 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
Vanilla - coil mtb
Float - air shock mtb

I wouldnt use a van or talas for dj. You can use a 2013 model float or earlier
as they can be reduced to 100mm. But 831s are by far the best. I have a set on
My ticket, and had it on a pslope, and p3, and loved it.

Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 20:06 Quote
Niko182 wrote:
Emma831 wrote:
Niko182 wrote:
Vanilla - coil mtb
Float - air shock mtb

I wouldnt use a van or talas for dj. You can use a 2013 model float or earlier
as they can be reduced to 100mm. But 831s are by far the best. I have a set on
My ticket, and had it on a pslope, and p3, and loved it.
Check out the post your dj street bikes forum
And sexiest slope bikes for way more peoples opinions.
Some people have better opinions than others

O+
Posted: Apr 20, 2017 at 21:38 Quote
Emma831 wrote:
That's good info.

That's the kind of info I was hoping to get by resurrecting this thread.

Emma, I find it a bit humorous that we have the same number in our usernames. How random is that? Also, I saw your shopping for hubby thread. That's pretty cool. CMC4130, who posted in your thread, helped me find a Dj bike and he's full of good info. He's a great resource. I think I burned him out with my questions though. Haha. Good luck shopping!

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 10:06 Quote
This is a list of some good dirt jump forks

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
I've had a Argyle w/ Pike Lowers, a Circus Expert, and now a Fox 36 Van Coil lowered from 160mm to 100mm. I rate them them in that order (from worst to best). They are all great. As a bigger guy i just like the stiffness of the larger stanchions and the volume of a 36mm fork. I love the Argyle for it's function and weight - also great lockout. The circus is great because it's a mixture of coil and air and has a lot of options for compression and a great lockout. The 36" Coil is great. I can't lock it out but I have so many low/high speed compression options and I have the ability to change out the spring to what I need. It's super plush when I need it. I set the low speed compression all the way up so it's great for pedal efficiency.

Posted: Apr 9, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
I ended up with a circus pro by the end of winter, It still hasn’t seen proper daylight. It doesn’t give like the expert, I’ll have to mess around with the settings. 34mm stanchions though.

Posted: Apr 15, 2019 at 21:59 Quote
Updates on this? Looking at a yet dirt love frame and 900$ pike DJ rock shock is pretty high.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 15:28 Quote
I have heard a lot of people complain about the Pike DJ and the damper breaking after only three months of riding. Is this still true with the 2019 Pike Dj? Really want on of these, but not if this is the case.

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
Steer tube issues on all of them

Get the Manitou Circus Pro or
Fox 36 831

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017718
Mobile Version of Website