Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

lubing pivot bearings?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
lubing pivot bearings?
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
As DaveMak's been saying you don't have to do anything major to it. And DON'T, DO NOT use any pressure for water or air on your pivots. Either use a low flow garden hose w/o an attachment or let the mud dry and then just wipe it off with a cloth.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
kingfisher1 wrote:
DavidMakalaster wrote:
frjoeydh wrote:
This is what you can do.... After you wash your bike take an Air compressor like one's at a Gas sation and Blow out all of the Pivot bearings, Then after you can take some Triflow or some lithim jel and put some on it. Good Luck.

That's HORRIBLE advice. That'll demolish the bearing seals first time. Clean the area around them but that's it. They are sealed cartridge bearings. They don't need maintenance till they crap out.

good to know ^!!

which cleaner is the best?
so i wont have to use water to clean my bike.

Water is fine on modern bikes. Just get some nice citrus degreaser from any bike brand. I use Pedros. Everything on that bike uses sealed cartridge bearings. Hose it off, spray on some degreaser, and sponge and brush clean it the rest of the way. Don't sweat it too much. It's designed to get dirty.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:54 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
JEEBUS!!!!!! Dont use air directly on the bearings! If air is getting in, then grease is getting out! That = bad.

Just rinse stuff off, and if theres an exceptionally stubborn piece of dirt, then use a rag to wipe it off!

This , and DavidMak's and Vince's is all correct advice. Pressurized air or water against any sealed moving part is a DON'T pretty much always.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:56 Quote
Here's the cavalry!!

Thanks guys.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 20:57 Quote
What I ment was that if you wash your bikes, just use an Air hose to get all of the little water that sits near the pivot off,after you have dried it. You don't really need to but it can help. I have a broken pivot and once you notice the bottom braket shifting a little bit, that means that you have to get the pivot re done. But JUST RIDE THE HELL OUT OF YOUR BIKE.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 22:04 Quote
Seriously man. No air. The pivots don't need you blowing air through them. It's just not healthy for them. As everyone said all you need to do is hose it down, throw some Pedros degreaser on it, and wipe it down. Don't start trying to Q-Tip your pivots. Enough said. Dave's knows his shit. So listen. : ]

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 7:09 Quote
better late then never, i don't need to say anything. the above posts are all right on the money.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
Using air is retarded. First off, you'll shoot all the grease out. Secondly, any dust or dirt in the air will be put into the bearings. Think about that, dirt in your bearings. That's a massive no no.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
you guys have answered my questions, but i dont get why you need to put degreaser on it to get dirt off after you spray it off. i mean when i hose my bike down thats all t takes to get all of the dirt and stuff off.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 10:55 Quote
vashonbiking123 wrote:
you guys have answered my questions, but i dont get why you need to put degreaser on it to get dirt off after you spray it off. i mean when i hose my bike down thats all t takes to get all of the dirt and stuff off.

Degreaser isn't for the frame, it's for the chain. Use it to remove old lube, so you can put new lube on.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
oh ok! i already do that

Posted: Jun 2, 2008 at 9:37 Quote
i just recentley took a trip to whistler and sprayed my bike off a couple times with the hoses they have there, should i go to my local bike shop and get them regreased?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011498
Mobile Version of Website