Canyon torque

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 9:01 Quote
meSSican wrote:
No direct input but just bought new '18 Spectral and Capra. Spectral has a more supple suspension and feel I'm faster on it. I was thinking of going with the Torque over Capra but value and availability pushed me to the Capra. If the Torque rides as good as the Spectral I would have went Torque even with lower spec for price.
How are you finding g the Capra for pedal strikes? A lot of talk all over the internet about lots of strikes. Someone has measured the BB at 330mm. Verrry low! (Bit prob good if you like that).

Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 9:42 Quote
Just a little warning to anyone considering purchasing the torque. I placed an order for an AL 7.0, black, in a size large. This order was placed at the end of April after my P7 was stolen. Original dispatch date was between 10th and 15th of June. Last monday, I got an email saying it was delayed until June the 15th. What is even more worrying is that they actually bought the stated dates on the website forward on the same day, saying that if you ordered the same bike at that point in time, you would have it dispatched from the factory within 6 days. Needless to say, I am likely going to cancel my order. It is a shame as it looked like such an amazing bike, but, once again, Canyon have messed up their delivery chain and had to delay it by several months.

Posted: Jun 3, 2018 at 15:11 Quote
radiorog wrote:
tkdbboy wrote:
snype wrote:
Yeah I'm keen to hear comparison between the Capra and the Torque. Really having trouble deciding between the 2. I guess both will fit the bill.

I've ridden the 2018 AL Comp and it climbs way better than expected for a bike that's numbers make it look like a freeride bike.

I've got a 2011 specialized enduro 160/160 and it climbs equal or better than it.

I'm also stuck between a torque and capra (although most capras are now Nov delivery so may aswell hold out for 2019 model)
Do you mean you've ridden the Capra or torque Al comp?

Apologies .. Capra AL Comp 27.5

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 13:07 Quote
ok, i tested the torque and the nukeproof mega, and bird aeris am9 the other day.
They are all brilliant bikes.
The torque was excellent. I took it down innerleithen dh trails for a couple of hours. It pedalled up to the top no problem. Took it over some tech climbing and no pedal strikes. Measured the bb height at 338, the same as the capra. Climbed really well, descended amazing! Very quiet bike, no noise. didnt feel heavy at all. Going round tight twisty bits of track where maybe a root was in the way, i found the back naturally skipped out over these obstacles easily, something i have not noticed in my other bike, so i would say it it very manouverable. This has also been mentioned in a review somewhere.
Gorgeous to look at! lovely clean lines.
compared to capra.....? very difficult to say as i am not overly experienced in different bikes. The capra maybe felt more stable, but maybe i didnt find it as easy to lift the front wheel on the capra. They are both very similar, but i think the capra felt more sturdy/stable. However, this could be wrong as the capra was the first bike i had ridden that was different to my 26" mojo hd that ive been riding for 4 years. The more i tested the bikes, the better they all seemed to feel. The torque seemed to climb better and seemed lighter, but in reality it isnt lighter. the torque was running tubeless whereas the capra had tubes in, so maybe this was the difference. Also i have heard the tyres on the capra are supper grippy, and some say they feel like they have hooks in, and really slow you down on climbs, so maybe this was a factor too.
You'd be happy with either. Personally im sticking with the capra because it felt more stable i think, and the cockpit on the torque felt slightly stretched for me going down down super steep stuff, which could be corrected with different bars or lowering stack, but its a gamble. but it really wasnt bad, on most riding i felt totally comfortable. It is a superb bike, and id be very happy with one. I might change my mind though and go for the torque, im not totally sure.
The bird aeris am9 was the biggest surprise though. I didnt plan this test as thought i didnt like 29ers, but had some free time and was offered this. It is incredible! posssibl;y better than any of the other three mentioned here. cornered better than anything i have been on, without a doubt! loads of power when pedallig. A seriously incredible bike.

Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 14:54 Quote
radiorog wrote:
ok, i tested the torque and the nukeproof mega, and bird aeris am9 the other day.
The torque was excellent. I took it down innerleithen dh trails for a couple of hours. It pedalled up to the top no problem. Took it over some tech climbing and no pedal strikes. Measured the bb height at 338, the same as the capra. Climbed really well, descended amazing! Very quiet bike, no noise. didnt feel heavy at all. Going round tight twisty bits of track where maybe a root was in the way, i found the back naturally skipped out over these obstacles easily, something i have not noticed in my other bike, so i would say it it very manouverable. This has also been mentioned in a review somewhere.
compared to capra.....? very difficult to say as i am not overly experienced in different bikes. The capra maybe felt more stable, but maybe i didnt find it as easy to lift the front wheel on the capra. They are both very similar, but i think the capra felt more sturdy/stable. However, this could be wrong as the capra was the first bike i had ridden that was different to my 26" mojo hd that ive been riding for 4 years. The more i tested the bikes, the better they all seemed to feel. The torque seemed to climb better and seemed lighter, but in reality it isnt lighter. the torque was running tubeless whereas the capra had tubes in, so maybe this was the difference. Also i have heard the tyres on the capra are supper grippy, and some say they feel like they have hooks in, and really slow you down on climbs, so maybe this was a factor too.
You'd be happy with either. Personally im sticking with the capra because it felt more stable i think, and the cockpit on the torque felt slightly stretched for me going down down super steep stuff, which could be corrected with different bars or lowering stack, but its a gamble. but it really wasnt bad, on most riding i felt totally comfortable. It is a superb bike, and id be very happy with one. I might change my mind though and go for the torque, im not totally sure.
The bird aeris am9 was the biggest surprise though. I didnt plan this test as thought i didnt like 29ers, but had some free time and was offered this. It is incredible! posssibl;y better than any of the other three mentioned here. cornered better than anything i have been on, without a doubt! loads of power when pedallig. A seriously incredible bike.

Thanks for the review! What model and sizes were you trying in the Capra and Torque?

O+
Posted: Jun 13, 2018 at 22:56 Quote
tkdbboy wrote:
radiorog wrote:

Thanks for the review! What model and sizes were you trying in the Capra and Torque?
I'm 183cm and tried the large in both. Fit me perfectly and wouldn't want a different size.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 0:13 Quote
radiorog wrote:

Thank you for the review, that's actually 3 bikes I was considering.

I would probably buy an AM9 if it had a little bit more travel, 150 mm is limit for me.
An AM9 LT with 160+ would have been awesome.

Between the Capra and Torque, I'm clearly more interested in the Torque. Better build, less expensive, way cooler in looks and lot's of little things (the protection/cable routing, 170mm dropper,...). Seems like a better "trail" bike than the Capra too.

I'm still waiting for the Meta AM 29 from Commencal, if it's available before August, could be the one.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 2:40 Quote
Yetichon wrote:
radiorog wrote:

I would probably buy an AM9 if it had a little bit more travel, 150 mm is limit for me.

Between the Capra and Torque, I'm clearly more interested in the Torque. Better build, less expensive, way cooler in looks and lot's of little things (the protection/cable routing, 170mm dropper,...). Seems like a better "trail" bike than the Capra too.

I'm still waiting for the Meta AM 29 from Commencal, if it's available before August, could be the one.
With the bird you can use 160 forks, and the owner said he might in the future make a linkage to make the rear 160mm. It does feel bigger than 159 tho, I was doing some pretty decent drops and didn't bottom out.
Regarding the torque, what do you mean when you say it is better build? The Capra looks built very well, to very high standards.
It is a shame they don't use a 170 dropper as I did notice they needed it on the demo.
Why do you think the torque is better trail bike? You might be right, it did feel maybe more agile, but the Capra did feel really good too.

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 4:53 Quote
radiorog wrote:
Yetichon wrote:
radiorog wrote:

With the bird you can use 160 forks, and the owner said he might in the future make a linkage to make the rear 160mm. It does feel bigger than 159 tho, I was doing some pretty decent drops and didn't bottom out.
Regarding the torque, what do you mean when you say it is better build? The Capra looks built very well, to very high standards.
It is a shame they don't use a 170 dropper as I did notice they needed it on the demo.
Why do you think the torque is better trail bike? You might be right, it did feel maybe more agile, but the Capra did feel really good too.

The thing is that I'm already going hard on the 170 mm of my Swoop, so I'm really not confident about 150 mil... You create doubts in my choice tho (that's a good thing !)

I meant better specs on the Torque, I prefer DT Swiss over E13, 170 mil Reverb over 150 E13 TRS dropper, Sram drivetrain over Shimano with the E13 cassette... And for 230€ cheaper (CF8 Vs 27/29 CF).
I read everywhere that the Torque is really playful, so...

And honestly, everytime I look at Capra stuff, there is a lot of "negative" feelings about it. Paint is shit, lots of pedal strikes, too progressive, E13 dropper is shit, same for the E13 cassette, that it's heavier than quoted (opposite for the Torque), etc.
Even if all of that is not necessarily the case, it doesn't help the fact that I already prefer the Torque on the first place. And that if I want a Capra in July I need to buy the uber-ugly white and red.

Too bad the comparison of Enduro-mtb between Capra and Torque will probably appear too late for me to make a choice.

Still over hyped by the AM 29, but won't probably be available...

Posted: Jun 14, 2018 at 16:06 Quote
I have an aluminum Capra and I’m extremely happy with it so I’m biased towards YT. However, before I made a purchase I contacted both YT and Canyon with questions about their bikes. YT responded within the day and was extremely helpful. Canyon did not respond for a week and then gave me what I think is false information about components (threaded vs PF BB) and completely ignored half my question.

This made me think that canyon is more interested in just selling bikes, good ones I’m sure, and doesn’t really caring about what happens after the sale. YT seemed more interested in actually keeping the customer happy.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 0:53 Quote
Jeff-Cu wrote:
I have an aluminum Capra and I’m extremely happy with it so I’m biased towards YT. However, before I made a purchase I contacted both YT and Canyon with questions about their bikes. YT responded within the day and was extremely helpful. Canyon did not respond for a week and then gave me what I think is false information about components (threaded vs PF BB) and completely ignored half my question.

This made me think that canyon is more interested in just selling bikes, good ones I’m sure, and doesn’t really caring about what happens after the sale. YT seemed more interested in actually keeping the customer happy.

That's what I heard too.

But the french contact at Canyon I spoke with was really really good. I asked about delivery dates, got an instant answer, and multiple options like pre-ordering one without any obligation or getting one from the swiss shop.

So I've had a very good experience with Canyon, not too worried about that and that's not a big concern for me, the bike is...

The real thing with Canyon is that they have a lot of problems with their suppliers, so it's quite random for the delivery. Which is a problem for me considering I need the bike at a specific date.

Posted: Jul 2, 2018 at 17:40 Quote
Hi,
Really considering getting myself a Canyon Torque as a big trail and enduro bike. I also own a Canyon Sender, because I already own a dh bike, should I get the Torque? This bike Will also be replacing my 2016 specialised enduro Comp 650b. The trails that this bike will ride mostly consist of fast, steep, extremely Rooty and rutted out, tight and twisty single track, with steep fireroad climbs to get me to the top again.
I'm a 6.5 foot guy really looking for a big bike. But I am wonder if the Torque is too big of a bike for a trail and enduro bike?
does anyone have a canyon torque as there enduro bike that could tell me a bit more about it? Or because I already own a dh bike, should I look at a bike with a little less travel, eg, Commercial Meta v4.2, or GT sanction?

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 1:37 Quote
Hugh-Mayer wrote:
Hi,
Really considering getting myself a Canyon Torque as a big trail and enduro bike. I also own a Canyon Sender, because I already own a dh bike, should I get the Torque? This bike Will also be replacing my 2016 specialised enduro Comp 650b. The trails that this bike will ride mostly consist of fast, steep, extremely Rooty and rutted out, tight and twisty single track, with steep fireroad climbs to get me to the top again.
I'm a 6.5 foot guy really looking for a big bike. But I am wonder if the Torque is too big of a bike for a trail and enduro bike?
does anyone have a canyon torque as there enduro bike that could tell me a bit more about it? Or because I already own a dh bike, should I look at a bike with a little less travel, eg, Commercial Meta v4.2, or GT sanction?

Honestly, if you already have a Sender, don't buy a Torque...

Most of the people choose the Torque because they want a big trail bike that can eat shuttle days, bikeparks abuse without being limited by the bike.

If you have a Sender, you already have your bikeparks bike, so you can aim for a more versatile bike in my opinion.

If I had a Sender, I would buy a Spectral, an Aeris AM9 or wait for the new Strive. They are already really capable bikes that can eat nearly anything that is not huge drops or bikeparks stuff.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 2:53 Quote
Yetichon wrote:
Hugh-Mayer wrote:
Hi,

Honestly, if you already have a Sender, don't buy a Torque...

Most of the people choose the Torque because they want a big trail bike that can eat shuttle days, bikeparks abuse without being limited by the bike.

If you have a Sender, you already have your bikeparks bike, so you can aim for a more versatile bike in my opinion.

If I had a Sender, I would buy a Spectral, an Aeris AM9 or wait for the new Strive. They are already really capable bikes that can eat nearly anything that is not huge drops or bikeparks stuff.
I'd say maybe. Maybe definitely. If you are riding as you say extremely rooted and rutty stuff, the torque will cope with this terrain better than a shorter travel bike. And as you will be proficient in drops etc, the torque will have your back here. The torque is extremely manouverable for a bike this size, the rear end flick around better than my trail bike so will be perfect for twisty single-track. You could even sell your sender. And it pedals very well. You won't be complaining on this from t.

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 23:36 Quote
is the torque a bad idea for all mountain trails, intermediate jumps/dh bike parks with included light road use (riding to woodland areas and back? i've been riding skateparks & DJ's all my life but i want to get into trails and bigger bikes than my dj bike. i really want one but fear the longer travel will help me in areas but then kill me on the more cross country cruises! from what ive seen with the torque the value for money is amazing!

I need a do it all machine without spending too much buck!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018522
Mobile Version of Website