Powered by Outside

I crashed hard today, landed on my face, What full face helmet do you wear?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
I crashed hard today, landed on my face, What full face helmet do you wear?
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 23:31 Quote
Giro switchblade. It has a higher safety rating than some other lids with removable chin. Well vented but will always be hotter than a trail lid but cooler than a full dh lid. With practice you can take off put on chin bar in situ. It is also tight to get on but once on feels great. Another good thing is if you unlock the chin bar and swing it up it allows you to drink from a bottle. Just make sure you lock the bar afterwards.

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 20:38 Quote
Update:

I'm still a little woozy from the concussion. My neck is still stiff from the crash.

I hit on my cheek bone. My Doctor and Othomologist tell me to, "Take it easy"

I went out and bought a Bell, Super 3R MIPS,

It has a MIPS lining in it.
The chin bar is detachable.

It also has a top mount for accessories like cameras.

The chin pieces make it feel very snug.

The chin bar clips/unclips.

I've been wearing it consistently.

Right now I'm fixing up the fork in my ancient Trek Fuel 90.

I seriously need a new bike. But I just turned 61 and I'm getting kind of old for this. In any event my body can't take much. I still have a concussion after 3 weeks, This is getting ridiculous. I hate this feeling of being "Stupider than I normally am!"

Take care out there.
I think I had my concussion because I was over confident and "underbiked". Stupid SR Suntour XCTV2. Nothing against Suntour, they make some good forks, It's just that the fork I have is too cheap.

Derick

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 20:41 Quote
Thank you for all the great replies!!

I feel like I belong to a community here.

None of my other peers (61 year olds) understand how I feel about bikes.

LOL

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 23:58 Quote
Derickh wrote:

LOL

I'll be 70 this coming Saturday..and I can assure you, I definitely know how you feel about bikes. When I tell anyone that knows me, i,e, my age, that I ride a mountain bike, they look at ma as though I'm Crazy, and that I should be doing things that can't involve get injured, well, hommie don't play that..Keep pedaling.

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 19:03 Quote
Hammer48 wrote:
Derickh wrote:

LOL

I'll be 70 this coming Saturday..and I can assure you, I definitely know how you feel about bikes. When I tell anyone that knows me, i,e, my age, that I ride a mountain bike, they look at ma as though I'm Crazy, and that I should be doing things that can't involve get injured, well, hommie don't play that..Keep pedaling.

You are both life goals!
Ride on!

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 7:17 Quote
bosco wrote:
Hammer48 wrote:
Derickh wrote:

LOL

You are both life goals!
Ride on!

Thank you so much for the great words!

Update2:

I've updated my Trek Fuel 90 with a RockShocks Recon, It replaces my worn out Manitou Black (can't find seals for it, it drips oil on my brakes.)

I want to buy a new bike that will handle bigger bumps and bail me out when I make stupid moves!
Right now I have 'only' 4 bikes:

Trek Fuel 90: 26' 2002, 100mm travel Full Suspension
My main ride. I ride single tracks on this.

Arrow Infinity: 26" Hardtail, cheap Suntour XCT/VT fork.

Norco Victory Tri-A , drop handlebar bike, I use this for long rides.

Sakai S, Lives on the turbo trainer for Bad Canadian winter days.

I want to buy a bike that is more capable than my old 2002 Trek Fuel 90:

Suggestions?

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 16:08 Quote
Derickh wrote:
My regular ride -- a Trek Fuel 90 is having front fork issues, The Manitou Black 2002 , I'm trying to service it myself.

So I head out on my $300 Arrow Infinity with it's cheap Suntour XCTV2 fork.

The sun is shining, the birds sing in the forest.

I'm loving the nimbleness of the little 26" hardtail on the trail.

I say to it, "I bet you're tired of being my Run-down-to-the-pub-for-a-drink-and-don't-get-stolen-bike."

I have a ball running it through the forest. The day before I set up the cheap Shimano Alivio 3x8 group set to run properly and it shifts much better now.

I start to entertain thoughts like, "I should train on and wear out dirt cheap 8 speed chains and cassettes and save my good expensive 9/10/11/12 speed stuff!"

I ride down a small hill and decide to try a jump, Normally on my Trek Fuel 90 I'd have a dropper post and my Manitou Black fork, On this bike the suspension goes, "CLUNK!" and I end up face down in the dirt. I'm lucky I didn't break my skull. I think I gave myself a minor concussion.

I'm thinking I should start wearing a full face helmet.

Posted: Aug 27, 2018 at 16:13 Quote
I wear a bell DH. I have 2 actually. I always wear a full face and body armor because if you do real riding you need it. I messed up and took my chest protector for 5 minutes and wiped out on wet tree roots and broke my left clavicle. Had it plated 4 weeks ago. It’s healing and feels great. I’m hoping to make my last race of the season at Windrock TN September 30th. That will put me around the 9 week mark so hopefully I’ll be ready. Wear you’re armor boys!!

Posted: Aug 28, 2018 at 1:29 Quote
FWIW, I've got a Bell Transfer-9 for a full-face, and a Giro Hex half-shell. Have also had others, such as the Fox Rampage, but this is what I've got right now... and I LOVE it! As far as the bike... I'm also hunting for one, so I'm not sure how much I can help, but check this thread out: https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=118115&pagenum=243

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 18:15 Quote
Update:

Smacked my head again today. I broke my helmet again. That's another $230 well spent.

RIP Bell Convertible R3 full face helmet.

Derick

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 18:44 Quote
Derickh wrote:
Update:

Smacked my head again today. I broke my helmet again. That's another $230 well spent.

Derick

Ok, but what about you? You good?

Also you might want to think about getting a new(er), more capable bike.

Or slow down the pace, but I know how hard it can be Wink

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 20:04 Quote
Derickh wrote:
Update:

Derick
hopefully you're okay, but remember that the absolute worst thing you can do is hit your head again after getting a concussion. We've seen many instances where getting another concussion before the first one has fully healed can cause catastrophic effects. If you did hit your head hard take a few weeks off the bike, possibly longer

O+
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 12:30 Quote
Not to be that guy, but take the time to get your head checked out. I washed out on a corner last summer, tapped my head on the ground. Not a hard hit at all, felt fine the rest of the day and went to work the next day. Turns out I was not ok. It ended up taking about 6 months of concussion physio until I felt right again, and this was for a “minor” concussion.

I now ride with a fox proframe for all my riding, even easy trails. It’s super well ventilated so I’m not too uncomfortable wearing it on more trail-oriented rides that involve a ton of pedaling.

Posted: May 25, 2020 at 13:29 Quote
Newfaces wrote:
Not to be that guy, but take the time to get your head checked out. I washed out on a corner last summer, tapped my head on the ground. Not a hard hit at all, felt fine the rest of the day and went to work the next day. Turns out I was not ok. It ended up taking about 6 months of concussion physio until I felt right again, and this was for a “minor” concussion.

I now ride with a fox proframe for all my riding, even easy trails. It’s super well ventilated so I’m not too uncomfortable wearing it on more trail-oriented rides that involve a ton of pedaling.

What did concussion physio consist of out of curiosity? I had a light tap on my head earlier this summer and felt like I was in a bit of a fog for the next week or two.

FL
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 15:56 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
fox rampage carbon MIPS

Same, love mine!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018729
Mobile Version of Website