I need a 27.5 DH wheelset

PB Forum :: Downhill
I need a 27.5 DH wheelset
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 31, 2018 at 18:20 Quote
yzedf wrote:
I excluded Atlas solely for 28 holes to be honest

I was skeptical too but after half a season the rear is only slightly out of true. Front is still straight.

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 0:06 Quote
Thanks guys.

Hard to make a decision... 32spokes do sound more durable. I hate having loose spokes and wheels out of true just after a few laps, which happens all the time with my current FLOW MK3 rims (they do have 32 holes as well though...).

Posted: Nov 1, 2018 at 0:11 Quote
@mtneer why do you state the Vibracore are not the strongest out there? Any experience in that regard?

Posted: Nov 13, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
Foxy87 wrote:
Yes please do so.

The wheels showed up yesterday and the rain is here today. Not sure when I'll get a proper day of riding in. Cush Core setup with Maxxis DHF 2.5 downhill casing tires was pretty easy, all I used was a tire changing stand (I used to ride moto) and 1 plastic tire lever. Beads on both tires set with just a floor pump. Weight feels a touch lower than my old wheel set that had mtx33 rims running tubes and DH casings, I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh them unfortunately. So far so good. Wheel builder says they went together nice and easy. If I can ride then in the next week or two I'll post up my experiences.

So far, so good.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 at 20:22 Quote
I have had spike race 33s in both 26 and 27.5 on my diamondback db8 and they're killer rims, their hubs look pretty sick too, I'm just running canfields

Posted: Dec 2, 2018 at 11:23 Quote
I just snagged a set of Spoon 32’s instead of Spike 33’s off Amazon for $330. They are the newer version with Spike hubs. All the reviews I read were great! Couldn’t pass up this deal...they should be here Tuesday. It will be my first pair of Spank wheels...I had NP Horizons on my hardtail build earlier this summer.

Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 9:21 Quote
Which ones are supposed to be stronger / burlier, the spank race or the spank spoon?

Posted: Dec 4, 2018 at 12:58 Quote
oobaa47 wrote:
Which ones are supposed to be stronger / burlier, the spank race or the spank spoon?

I was told the spike race was stronger than spoon. I do know the spoon weighs a good bit more...

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 5:11 Quote
yzedf wrote:
oobaa47 wrote:

I was told the spike race was stronger than spoon. I do know the spoon weighs a good bit more...

That's quite counterintuitive, the lighter rim being stronger?

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:48 Quote
oobaa47 wrote:

I would think they’re both equally as strong now that both wheelsets use the Spike hub. I’ve heard not so good things about the older Spoon hubs. The other difference is about 1-2 mm of width (1.5 internal - 26.5 vs 28 and 1mm external - 32 vs 33.)

FWIW the card that comes attached to my wheels lists the Spoons and more DH/FR instead of AM/Enduro/DH/FR.

Posted: Dec 6, 2018 at 9:33 Quote
oobaa47 wrote:
yzedf wrote:
oobaa47 wrote:

That's quite counterintuitive, the lighter rim being stronger?

I could have some lead rims made up for you if you think weight has a direct correlation to strength Wink

Posted: Dec 16, 2018 at 15:30 Quote
For the odd chance anyone is wondering...nail polish remover takes the logos right off the wheels. I originally bought black Spank/Spoon decals to cover up the white on my Spoon 32’s but they weren’t even close to matching up size wise (bought them from inkmyride.com fwiw) so I tried the npr method as I’ve done this with some hockey gear in the past. Worked like a charm!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012898
Mobile Version of Website