Anyone still riding a Kona Stinky in 2019

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Anyone still riding a Kona Stinky in 2019
Posted: Apr 15, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
heck yeah..... picked mine up a couple years back as a rat storage barn find.
converted to 1x9, added hydro disc brakes, wider bars, Fox 32's gifted to me by a friend.

I love this damned thing

before
photo

as of late
photo

snowy ride at Tuscazoar trails 1 31

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
the stinky arrived \o/ will hit the trail tomorrow and see what will need fixing /upgrading afterwards Cool Cool

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
mihanikosGG wrote:
the stinky arrived \o/ will hit the trail tomorrow and see what will need fixing /upgrading afterwards Cool Cool

sweet....!! looking forward to seeing it so make sure you post up some pics

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:05 Quote
finally got to the trail today with a bit of rain from the moment i took my bike off the car till the moment i went back home but bike handled it surprisingly well ! much fun to be had in the near future

And here are some pics from my little kona ! Big Grin

photo
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
dang....that's pretty cool Smile

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
adm750 wrote:
dang....that's pretty cool Smile
might not be the best frame out there (nor the lightest as i found out that thing is like a godamn tank) but loved every second of it on the trail Big Grin tyres were grippy enough the suspension was doing its job and that gave me all the confidence i need to ride out there :o might have to invest in a go pro and start sending that thing after digging up a couple of nice tabletops . one thing is for sure i felt 10 years younger riding around giggling on the trail like a kid again lol

Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 15:56 Quote
I riding one. A 2006 stinky d, put 2020 slx brakes set and a 2020 m8100 11 speed drive train on it. Heavy a turds but I love it.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 4:56 Quote
I want to upgrade my fork as previous owner was running a 130mil on it.
Thinking of a 160 or even 180mm travel up front. Any ideas? Would it work or would it became too slack and dangerous for the frame and myself in the process?
Thanks in advance

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 5:23 Quote
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just serviced the forks on mine and found they are set at 100mm travel, (non-original-to-it Fox Float RLC100's) but not by way of travel spacers...

It has holes in that rod to fix the upper spring stop at a certain travel via a roll pin giving you options of 100, 120, or 140mm of travel. Right now it is fixed in the upper-most spot making it 100mm travel. I moved the top to the middle position (120mm travel) but it was making a harsh noise at top-out so I changed it back. Pisses me off as I was looking forward to what the longer travel would make it feel like. I think the bike was spec'd with 130mm forks

basically the long way of saying I'm interested in what answers come back to you....

The front end isn't too confidence inspiring on mine, how do the 130's feel on yours ?

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
it isnt bad on 130 but on steeper trails with rocks and drops i feel like im gonna drop over my bars on a harsh rock or something. Thinking 160 will make it a bit more slack and better to ride on steeper stuff. Soon as I install one I'll let ya know how it goes. Still on the hunt for a 160-180 fork for a 26' which is hard this time around.

Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 13:48 Quote
Anyone here knows what kind of headset would fit my kona stinky six that has a 1.5' headtube?.
Interested in swapping out the lower bracket so that I'll run a tappered fork .
Currently running an fsa1.5r reducer .

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
mihanikosGG wrote:
it isnt bad on 130 but on steeper trails with rocks and drops i feel like im gonna drop over my bars on a harsh rock or something. Thinking 160 will make it a bit more slack and better to ride on steeper stuff. Soon as I install one I'll let ya know how it goes. Still on the hunt for a 160-180 fork for a 26' which is hard this time around.

thanks for the feedback. tup

wish I could help you with the headset question you posted. I just don't know enough about them. Basically you want to run an upper cup that fits a 1.5" headtube but supports a 1-1/8th steer tube ??

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
adm750 wrote:
mihanikosGG wrote:

thanks for the feedback. tup

wish I could help you with the headset question you posted. I just don't know enough about them. Basically you want to run an upper cup that fits a 1.5" headtube but supports a 1-1/8th steer tube ??
'
Almost. running a reducer headset up n down to reduce a 1 1/8 but I am thinking of getting a 1.5 straight lower and run it with the reducer up top so i can run a tappered fork Big Grin
If that fails there is always the trusty marzocchi 66 but Id like to try the other option out first so I can run a "newer" fork since they are all tapered

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 6:15 Quote
Yes i still ride this 08 stinky, WHAT A MACHINE, is heavy but this have a lot of grip, is short in the front but this do so nimble, have a long chainstay what make you steady on high speed, feel like old couch but is so smooth.
Definely you can smoke a lot of +4000$ bikes in this piece of metal. You ned ride this in the agresive fisycal style pumping all you ride.
Personally i put a extra long seatpost and drop the stem to the headset for ride up and down with a 22/32 front and 12/34 rear and if you understand the uphill don't is a race you can ride like a enduro bike, you can do 20-30km with 900-1000m of heigh.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039745
Mobile Version of Website