Sram chainring with Shimano 12 speed XT

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sram chainring with Shimano 12 speed XT
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 10:16 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Explodo wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:

I wish I could figure it out. The chain doesn't disengage smoothly at the bottom of the chainring. Every narrow link seems to stick and then pop out. There is visible deflection in the chain as it is pulled upward by the narrow chainring teeth before popping loose. I am unable to figure if the tooth is catching on the roller or if the chain is sticking to the tooth side-to-side. Yet the chain rolls smoothly through the derailleur and over the cassette. It's only a problem with the Race Face chainring. I've checked chain length, direction, master link, all derailleur adjustments, lubrication, looked for bent derailleur or hanger, loose chainring, and alignment. Everything looks good. When I replaced the Shimano chain with the X01, the problem disappeared. Baffling. My LBS tells me they've seen the problem before with the same setup on different bike brands. If you have any ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears.

Can you tell if the chainring is the one that is specific to shimano 12 speed? Race Face sells them as a distinct part for shimano 12 speed, though I don't actually know what makes it specific.

The teeth are more narrow on the SH 12sp specific chainrings to accommodate for the Shimano 12 speed chain, which is narrower than a SRAM 12sp chain. Either you got the wrong chainring on your bike, or it’s a manufacturing defect, it sounds like the teeth are too wide for the Shimano chain, which is why the SRAM chain fixed the issue.

The chainring would appear to be correct as it's stamped "SHIM 12 speed chain only." I'd pretty much come to the same conclusion, but how do I prove it? I've been thinking about calling Race Face to inquire whether this has been an issue but not sure if they'd admit to it anyway. I've tried calling Niner but they never answer the phone. Thanks for your input.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2020 at 14:13 Quote
jimmytang1 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
Explodo wrote:

Can you tell if the chainring is the one that is specific to shimano 12 speed? Race Face sells them as a distinct part for shimano 12 speed, though I don't actually know what makes it specific.

The teeth are more narrow on the SH 12sp specific chainrings to accommodate for the Shimano 12 speed chain, which is narrower than a SRAM 12sp chain. Either you got the wrong chainring on your bike, or it’s a manufacturing defect, it sounds like the teeth are too wide for the Shimano chain, which is why the SRAM chain fixed the issue.

The chainring would appear to be correct as it's stamped "SHIM 12 speed chain only." I'd pretty much come to the same conclusion, but how do I prove it? I've been thinking about calling Race Face to inquire whether this has been an issue but not sure if they'd admit to it anyway. I've tried calling Niner but they never answer the phone. Thanks for your input.

I know there were issues with some Shimano 12sp chainrings at the beginning, don’t recall 100% if it was Race Face or another manufacturer. They would probably request you send it back and if it’s outside of tolerances they would send you a new one. I would just go buy a replacement and if they give you a warranty replacement then you have a spare. If you have digital calipers, I would be very curious to know the thickness of the wide tooth an that ring

Posted: Oct 17, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

The teeth are more narrow on the SH 12sp specific chainrings to accommodate for the Shimano 12 speed chain,

which is narrower than a SRAM 12sp chain. Either you got the wrong chainring on your bike, or it’s a manufacturing defect, it sounds like the teeth are too wide for the Shimano chain, which is why the SRAM chain fixed the issue.

I know there were issues with some Shimano 12sp chainrings at the beginning, don’t recall 100% if it was Race Face or another manufacturer. They would probably request you send it back and if it’s outside of tolerances they would send you a new one. I would just go buy a replacement and if they give you a warranty replacement then you have a spare. If you have digital calipers, I would be very curious to know the thickness of the wide tooth an that ring

OK, I put the calipers to 4 chainring teeth of each size. The teeth that fit into the narrow link calipered at 1.95 to 2.5 mm. The teeth that fit into the wide link measured 2.85 to 2.95 mm. I did notice that black finish on the sides of the narrow teeth is pretty much worn off whereas the finish on the wider teeth is intact. As I mentioned earlier, the chainring was sticking in all of the narrow links when I was running the Shimano chain (SLX M7100). Do those measurements help? Thanks.

O+
Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 13:46 Quote
jimmytang1 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:

OK, I put the calipers to 4 chainring teeth of each size. The teeth that fit into the narrow link calipered at 1.95 to 2.5 mm. The teeth that fit into the wide link measured 2.85 to 2.95 mm. I did notice that black finish on the sides of the narrow teeth is pretty much worn off whereas the finish on the wider teeth is intact. As I mentioned earlier, the chainring was sticking in all of the narrow links when I was running the Shimano chain (SLX M7100). Do those measurements help? Thanks.

I measured my Wolftooth Shimano 12sp chainring and the narrow teeth are all about 2.0mm and the wide are 3.0mm. So, I would say there’s a good indicator why the finish on those narrow teeth of yours look more worn out as they are 20% thicker than they probably should be.

Posted: Oct 18, 2020 at 17:28 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
jimmytang1 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

I measured my Wolftooth Shimano 12sp chainring and the narrow teeth are all about 2.0mm and the wide are 3.0mm. So, I would say there’s a good indicator why the finish on those narrow teeth of yours look more worn out as they are 20% thicker than they probably should be.

Oops! I just noticed a typo in my previous post. The narrow teeth calipered 1.95 to 2.05 mm (not 2.5 as previously stated). So my specs seem to be right in line with yours. Within the next couple of days I will attempt to caliper the inside dimensions of my Shimano chain links but not sure if my calipers will be accurate in a space that narrow.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 3:06 Quote
stoopid twocents...
any chance you just lined up the narrow tooth to the wide chain segment?

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 8:59 Quote
Trialsiain wrote:
Hi there I am planning on upgrading to Shimano XT 12 speed. I was planning on keeping my Gx eagle crankset to save costs. Has anyone had any problems running their HG12 chain on a Sram chainring? I read that you need to use a SRAM quick link. Is everything fine providing this is used?

Thanks

It's probably a little late for you but I can report that this works fine. After my SRAM SX, cheap plastic derailleur broke catastrophically, I decided to upgrade to an XT drivetrain but, due to all the logistics problems from COVID, it has been hard to get parts. The components were trickling in piecemeal so I replaced them in stages.

First off, I installed the Shimano XT derailleur, shifter and chain, on the existing SRAM Eagle cassette. I had three rides with it in this configuration. It worked fine.

Eventually the XT microspline hub arived, I had the wheel rebuilt with the XT hub and installed the Shimano XT cassette. So now I'm riding with an XT derailleur, cassette, rear hub, shifter and chain and a SRAM crank and front chainring, and I have a centerlock to 6-bolt adapter for my brake rotor. It works fine. Yes, I think there is improved shifting under load, though I am accustomed to shifting in preparation. I am not noticing any performance problems with the SRAM front ring. The wider front ring will, supposedly, lead to faster chain wear. I may replace it eventually. I'm considering whether to go down to 28T.

Posted: Dec 18, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
Sounds like whoever put the bike together could have possibly got the chain line wrong by not putting the correct size spacer if it was required.
Had that issue with my Shimano XTR setup as well.
Measure from center of BB to center of chain on chainring and you should get 52 mm or whatever the correct chain line is for your bike.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014253
Mobile Version of Website