Powered by Outside

Skipping derailleur: How to fix?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Skipping derailleur: How to fix?
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 14:40 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Jocool wrote:
I have that probleme also. Just wondering if anyone can help, my geers keep skipping. I tried ajusting to cable to the derraileur...... but they still skip. I got it right once, but they re-started skipping 2 rides later. Please help.

Thats generally a sign of cable wear... How old is it??
I got it saturday. It isnt even a week old.

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
any slack in the cable ? pull it through tight - always make sure ur in ur lowest gear b4 u do this

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 14:47 Quote
Jocool wrote:
gibson19 wrote:
Jocool wrote:
I have that probleme also. Just wondering if anyone can help, my geers keep skipping. I tried ajusting to cable to the derraileur...... but they still skip. I got it right once, but they re-started skipping 2 rides later. Please help.

Thats generally a sign of cable wear... How old is it??
I got it saturday. It isnt even a week old.

Well then thats why... its still in the process of stretching... Ride it for another week and keep making adjustments and it should be all stretched out...

O+
either its a bent derailluer cage, hanger, or the tension is off... or all 3. check your hanger and cage to make sure they are strait, then adjust the tension. downhill bikes tend to stretch cables quite a bit from the chain growth and just from bouncing around, so it might need to be down often, depending on how much you care about shifting

PhiLLyStinky wrote:
any slack in the cable ? pull it through tight - always make sure ur in ur lowest gear b4 u do this
Did that. I put the chain on the smallest gear, took all the slack of the cable. All it did was make the derailleur not be able to go a the 3,2 and 1 geers (big ones).

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 14:48 Quote
nosebleed wrote:
either its a bent derailluer cage, hanger, or the tension is off... or all 3. check your hanger and cage to make sure they are strait, then adjust the tension. downhill bikes tend to stretch cables quite a bit from the chain growth and just from bouncing around, so it might need to be down often, depending on how much you care about shifting
All strait. Havent even used it for DH. I just got the thing.

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 14:51 Quote
increase the tension in the der.

losten the pinch bolt and pull the cable a little tighter

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 15:30 Quote
Jocool wrote:
PhiLLyStinky wrote:
Did that. I put the chain on the smallest gear, took all the slack of the cable. All it did was make the derailleur not be able to go a the 3,2 and 1 geers (big ones).

tension is too much, thats why its not going into these gears. undo the cable bolt on your mech (i hate having to write derailluer every five minutes) and slacken the cable. move your barrell adjuster out about 2 full turns. retension the cable, but just taut, not super tight and retighten bolt on mech. adjust barrel adjuster till buttery smooth shifting. now that you have the few turns if you overtension the cable

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
nosebleed wrote:
Jocool wrote:
PhiLLyStinky wrote:

tension is too much, thats why its not going into these gears. undo the cable bolt on your mech (i hate having to write derailluer every five minutes) and slacken the cable. move your barrell adjuster out about 2 full turns. retension the cable, but just taut, not super tight and retighten bolt on mech. adjust barrel adjuster till buttery smooth shifting. now that you have the few turns if you overtension the cable
Yeah. Fixed.

Now, another question. My breaks were rubbing against the pads, so I took off both rims, to be able to take my flat screw driver to seperate the pads (they were too close to each other). Now, my only problem is that I cant put my back rim on Confused Your all gonna say "wat a f*ckin noob", but, the derraileur is in the way for me to put the rim back on. I put the gears between the chain... I just dont want to wreck my derailleur. How do I put it back on.

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 16:18 Quote
Grab your derailler and pull it out of the way... You won't have to force it... You'll want to pull the derailler towards the back of the bike so that its almost fully extended...

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 16:19 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Grab your derailler and pull it out of the way... You won't have to force it... You'll want to pull the derailler towards the back of the bike so that its almost fully extended...
Yeah, tried it but the derrailleur also goes side ways. Is that normal.

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 16:31 Quote
Jocool wrote:
gibson19 wrote:

Well it should go backwards and to the side a bit... its as if your shifting through your entire range of gears...

So yes it is normal...

You can also grab the chain and pull it up (assuming your bikes upside down) and slide your wheel it but I find thats generally harder than just grabbing the derailler

Posted: Jul 2, 2008 at 16:35 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
Jocool wrote:
gibson19 wrote:

Well it should go backwards and to the side a bit... its as if your shifting through your entire range of gears...

So yes it is normal...

You can also grab the chain and pull it up (assuming your bikes upside down) and slide your wheel it but I find thats generally harder than just grabbing the derailler
Yeah! thanks man! got it.

Posted: Sep 26, 2009 at 0:51 Quote
HELP my sram x9 rear deralliur is broken and i want to know if it is fixable because i will be pissed off if i have to replace it. when ever you change onto the small front chainring the rear deralliur moves right up to the cassete and some times even hits it!! it never use to do this please help me.this is the derraliur when its on the middle chainring
photo

this is when its on the small chainring
photo

ANY HELP APPRECIATED THNX

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014608
Mobile Version of Website