Powered by Outside

Best brakes for dh racing

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best brakes for dh racing
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
I have run Hayes, then changed to Hope mono 6's. I've had no complaints with either although I feel the mono 6's have the edge in quality and didn't fade as much as the Hayes on tracks like Dunkeld DH or Fort William DH. I have heard alot of negative talk about Hayes, but I have many friends that use them and are more than happy, I was happy with my HFX9's and Mag9's. I use Hope Mono 6's on floating rotors and I love them, no problems in the last 3 years.

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
i love my sevens.. i also got threes and they are just not as responsive.

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:07 Quote
willshiels wrote:
I have run Hayes, then changed to Hope mono 6's. I've had no complaints with either although I feel the mono 6's have the edge in quality and didn't fade as much as the Hayes on tracks like Dunkeld DH or Fort William DH. I have heard alot of negative talk about Hayes, but I have many friends that use them and are more than happy, I was happy with my HFX9's and Mag9's. I use Hope Mono 6's on floating rotors and I love them, no problems in the last 3 years.

yea mono 6 are awesome brakes without a doubt but like 200quid compared to 60quid for the hfx 9' the hopes aint got 140quids worth of extra power n feel in my opinion m8 although i got an old hope c2 n its still workin great build quality

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 17:09 Quote
johnyredbull wrote:
willshiels wrote:

yea mono 6 are awesome brakes without a doubt but like 200quid compared to 60quid for the hfx 9' the hopes aint got 140quids worth of extra power n feel in my opinion m8 although i got an old hope c2 n its still workin great build quality

Yeah man, the price never came into my head.

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:13 Quote
I used to run gustav for 3 years and never had to bleed them once I live on the west coast and ride some of the steepest gnarliest trails ant they have never failed me once. Only time they felt off was in sub zero temps

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:17 Quote
codes, not overkill on the price and still plenty of breaking power

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:23 Quote
EDITED

Okay here you go its all preference....

Hayes- I find just plain old shit no good....Cheap brakes I think you can buy some at your local Walmart haha (just jokes)

Avid- Great power little modulation but to much bite and makes your tire skid...Good bang for your buck, and you know its what all the cool kids ride these days

Hope- Great power great modulation and best part they dont bite hard until the last of the lever is pulled....Pretty expensive but wicked systems

Shimanos(Shit man ho's)- Never liked them, No bite, and they can sqauke like a demon...Expensive enough for what they are.

Magura- Good breaks, good power, depends how you set them up, can be wicked brakes....Decent brakes for the price

Formula- Havent got to try any Formula brakes yet for a good testing so cant say much other then they seem to be pretty good when I rode my buddies bike

Now every buddy reading this is just my opinion on the brakes, no need to bash on anything I said haha

Hope this helped, Cheers

Posted: Mar 24, 2009 at 18:26 Quote
yeah that sound about righ, the only down side to the gustavs was the price.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 2:17 Quote
after owning a set of hope v2's they now have my vote over the formula the one brake's, v2's are just insane they have so much power you will never need it all but its incredibly controllable, v2's for the win tup

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 3:27 Quote
Have rode juicys 7 since they came out in about 4-5 years ago.
I have never had anything better than this, it is so nice with the modulation.

all the guys i was riding with in the past was so sceptic with the juicys when i got them, they had elcamino, hfx9, mono6 and some magura.
and now when im back in the game after injuries, guess what they all ride aviid.
The sey the best feel is in the code, with plenty of stoping power.

Would never recomend a hayes brake, dont like the feel of them

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:04 Quote
iuulle wrote:
Have rode juicys 7 since they came out in about 4-5 years ago.
I have never had anything better than this, it is so nice with the modulation.

all the guys i was riding with in the past was so sceptic with the juicys when i got them, they had elcamino, hfx9, mono6 and some magura.
and now when im back in the game after injuries, guess what they all ride aviid.
The sey the best feel is in the code, with plenty of stoping power.

Would never recomend a hayes brake, dont like the feel of them

if you bleed them rite the feel is great m8 goodridge hoses n rite attention, i agree when u buy em new there crap they need bleedin properly and a decent hose bt then there great m8 for 60quid each theres no comparison hfx r in the price leage of magura julie n tekro aguila they win hands down

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:16 Quote
Yeah after a new bleeding and goodridge hoses, then you almost up in the same price.
Why not just buy a better brake the first time, instead of wasting money on the hayes and hoses and bleeding?

Se my point

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:54 Quote
iuulle wrote:
Yeah after a new bleeding and goodridge hoses, then you almost up in the same price.
Why not just buy a better brake the first time, instead of wasting money on the hayes and hoses and bleeding?

Se my point

how the hell does bleeding a brake cost monies? u kant bleed a brake ha, the hose wo like 25pound total of 85pound still beats the expensive options hope etc, n avid r just cheese

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 1:52 Quote
in my mind time is money, and you have to use over an hour for each brake.
I think you should try something else than your hayes and you will never go back!

sorry to say that i can bleed, have done it about 12 years with karting and roadbikes.
So now you just a wieseguy, who are so cheap that he has to drive with the hayes.
But the hayes fit your bighit

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 1:56 Quote
extremedhracer wrote:
shimano xtr with xt lever body, moto v2's are to powerfull, avids are to jumpy, shimano gt it nailed, worked for the athertons and for me

im just wandering why they changed if they were working so great.

oh it's because they had no bite and not enough power for wc courses, they baked up way too quickly. cross country brakes dont cut it on long courses

elixirs however, f*ck yeah.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014669
Mobile Version of Website