Powered by Outside

Updating a 90s MTB for all-around use

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Updating a 90s MTB for all-around use
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 at 16:24 Quote
Got my setup mostly dialed now. Freed up my Brooks B17 from the bike it was on and got it installed on the Rocky, plus added on 2 new bottle cages, a mini pump, a quick release saddle bag for a spare tube and tools, plus an additional tube strapped in the front triangle in case I get two flats in one ride (and I have a patch kit as well for drastic flat tire emergencies)

Put a couple dozen kilometers on it over the weekend, and have been commuting on it most days for the past two weeks and the bike has been great!

photo

Also finally got on top of replacing all the cables and housing, including adding a bit of extra length on most housing sections as some seemed a bit short. Shifting went together like a dream, but if I have to do any more work on these cantis I'll probably just make the switch to v-brakes to make life easy for myself. For now though, it's all set up and doesn't need any more messing with

At this point I feel I've done everything I can, now it's just down to putting miles on it and figuring out what changes and adjustments I feel are needed based off riding it, and maybe some extra cargo capability if I need it

I'll continue to pop in this thread to ask for advice and keep y'all updated with changes I make, and like I mentioned earlier in the thread feel free to post pictures and questions about your own "daily driver" 80s/90s mountain bikes

Posted: Mar 20, 2024 at 10:16 Quote
Looks great! Thanks for sharing your update. Your photo twigged me that you're in BC. I'm just across the river from you.

O+
Posted: Mar 20, 2024 at 11:55 Quote
dirttorpedo wrote:
Looks great! Thanks for sharing your update. Your photo twigged me that you're in BC. I'm just across the river from you.

Thanks! Glad to hear someone else has been enjoying this build Smile

I know I said I was gonna leave the handlebars alone for a bit, but after a couple dozen more km over the course of a few rides I knew they would not work for me long-term. I gave a call to the shop this bike was originally sold at and inquired about a threadless adapter for this quill size, thinking they may have an old box laying around full of them. They said they didn't have any but then called me back like 10 mins later saying they found a box in the back that probably hadn't been touched in like 30 years with a bunch of them (which sounded about right lol), so I went over and picked one up

Got home and threw on some 780mm bars I had laying around paired with a 40mm stem, which I found a bit short for this frame geometry so I swapped it for a 70mm which feels more stable. I think I'd like some bars with a bit more sweep to them, but for now this works better than before

Also super glad I made most of my cable housing long enough when I was replacing them, I just had to redo the front brake as the canti hanger was integrated into the original stem and only had a like 6" long piece of housing coming from the brake lever. Found a bolt-on canti hanger and got some more cable housing and got everything put together!

Don't have any great pics as my stem bag usually got in the way, but this pic has a decent view:

photo

Also you can see the new canti hanger setup from this angle:

photo

Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 8:40 Quote
Looking good. If you ever want to put some bar ends on that baby let me know. I have a ton of vintage ones cluttering up my parts bin. Might be a good addition if you want to keep that style of bar, but get another hand position.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2024 at 10:57 Quote
dirttorpedo wrote:
Looking good. If you ever want to put some bar ends on that baby let me know. I have a ton of vintage ones cluttering up my parts bin. Might be a good addition if you want to keep that style of bar, but get another hand position.

Thanks for the offer but I still got the bar ends from the original setup Smile

Also these bars won't be on for too long, I'm planning on getting something with more sweep but still looking at options

Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 8:18 Quote
matt-15 wrote:
dirttorpedo wrote:

Also these bars won't be on for too long, I'm planning on getting something with more sweep but still looking at options

Have you thought about some alt bars like Velo Orange's "Crazy Bar"? I think those could be cool on a vintage mountain bike conversion. I tried some Nitto Dirt drops on an old Ritchey frame and actually quite liked them.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2024 at 11:05 Quote
dirttorpedo wrote:
matt-15 wrote:
dirttorpedo wrote:

Have you thought about some alt bars like Velo Orange's "Crazy Bar"? I think those could be cool on a vintage mountain bike conversion. I tried some Nitto Dirt drops on an old Ritchey frame and actually quite liked them.

Yep, probably gonna alt-bar this thing, still debating on what one though. Currently the Surly Moloko is at the top of my list

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2024 at 16:01 Quote
Over the past few rides I noticed a clicking/ creaking sound coming from the crank area so figured I'd open it up and see what the issue might be...

photo

photo

Lots of rust and a pile of metal shavings greeted me once I removed the BB. As far as I know, this was the original BB from when the bike was purchased 32 years ago

Cleaned out pretty nicely though, seemed to mostly just be surface rust

photo

And the difference in new vs old BB is pretty crazy:

photo

Hopefully I can get this new one to last another 30 years, although these are cheap enough that I could probably put a new one in every week if I really wanted to

Also ordered the Surly Moloko bars, should be here in about a week or two. Currently looking at bar tape options so suggestions are welcome Smile

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 10:34 Quote
those cartridge BB's were a massive improvement on the loose bearing ones I started wrenching on in the 80's. I know some retro guys keep the loose bearing ones from the 40's and 50's going by just tossing in new bearings, but there is something beautiful about the install and forget nature of the modern sealed cartridge BB.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 17:30 Quote
dirttorpedo wrote:
those cartridge BB's were a massive improvement on the loose bearing ones I started wrenching on in the 80's. I know some retro guys keep the loose bearing ones from the 40's and 50's going by just tossing in new bearings, but there is something beautiful about the install and forget nature of the modern sealed cartridge BB.

Props to those that repack loose bearing BBs to keep them running, but I agree it's nice to just take the cartridge BB out, clean and re-grease the shell, and throw a new one in there. Seems to use pretty common standards too (square taper, 68mm BSA threaded, 122.5mm spindle) so I shouldn't need to worry about not being able to find one in the future if ever needed

O+
Posted: Apr 16, 2024 at 16:50 Quote
Finally got this thing alt-bar'd!!

photo

Picked up the Surly Moloko bars a week ago and have been enjoying commuting with them this past week. They were not quite as heavy as I was expecting, but definitely heavier than aluminum

I like the sweep on the bar, and the bullhorns are really nice for going fast on straight stretches of road

For tape ended up with Lizardskins DSP 4.6mm. I've been running the 3.2mm on my gravel bike for a few years now (4.6mm was not available at the time) and I like the texture and cushion they offer. I probably could have done a better job taping them but it's good enough for myself

Mounted up my Quadlock phone holder as well as my headlight to the crossbar and it puts both in a nice central location

I think I'm pretty much done as far as component changes, now it's just onto finishing up accessories like bags and racks

Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 11:17 Quote
Very on trend. Looks good.

Posted: May 31, 2024 at 4:06 Quote
Couple of comments

Other than the Surly bar mentioned, there are a couple of more or less "plug and play" options for 90's mtbs
1. For comfort, Nitto Bosco. Not for offroad of course.
2. For control, MX style bars. Surly makes some, as do others (VO, and various custom shops). Renthal makes a bunch of em (and there are plenty on FB and CL, just look for 7/8" MX bars)
3. Jones riser bar, which I think was specifically designed for these bikes

... with the Bosco probably being the closest to "plug and play" ie will work with those goofy long stems. For the Jones, stem selection is critical, they will tell you what length to get. For the MX style bars, ideally you want a 50mm BMX stem to work for ya (available in 1" quill or 1 1/8" threadless). You can shim em in if you want, but be advised, with MX bars and Bosco bars you have a *lot* of leverage and it's easy for em to slip

None of this makes 90's mtb's optimal for single track. Not the way I ride, anyway ... ie just farting around in the woods, as opposed to racing uphill, which is the absolute very last thing I have in mind. Plus I've seen too many serious injuries from going over the bars

They can make for really fun urban bikes though, key is picking the right tires. Maxxis DTH 2.3" is supple, sticky. Gets you to the same wheel diameter as 700x28 and is a lot softer over nasty pavement and curbs and stuff, which is where I think these old steel frames really shine. Just as long as you can somehow get your hands at least as high as your fanny. Back in my motorcycling days we called that the "monkey humping a football" posture and once you reach a certain age, that gets real old real fast

Agree with OP, drive train "upgrade" is seldom worth the money. I feel much the same why about canti's, Vbrakes are easier and faster to set up but once you figure out canti's I don't know there's a dimes worth of difference, both suck compared with disc brakes, on several levels. Secret to life with these old things is bars and tires, if you ask me.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015387
Mobile Version of Website